Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

PJTP...This day has gone to he** in a handbasket - all in the course of about 30 minutes...

I was assigned the task of updating students on our 'waitlist' a couple of days ago - they were to be marked as 'deny'. I did this, and when I was at the status meeting yesterday, BB hands me a list of people whose decisions can be confirmed and released (meaning the candidate will be notified) and others whose decision should be 'held' until they are notified. I asked him twice about this, and he confirmed my understanding of the instruction and I wrote it down on the sheet.

I confirm and release the indicated people, then my Mgr asks me this morning if any one checked the list before I did the confirm/release operation. I did not have anyone do that because the BB told me to do it. Mgr asked me to have someone else check the decisions this morning and I wasn't quite sure what to have them check, but okay - I gave the list to two other staff people, who were just as confused as I.

The next thing I know, Mgr is coming into my workspace and sarcastically asks me if the procedure she is outlining "sounds familiar? Any of it?". I have a procedure for confirming decisions, but denying waitlisted candidates is not on that procedure sheet. So naturally, she spews her venom and walks away.

I still don't know what my next move should be and I'm almost scared to ask...I'm in tears at my desk because I KNOW they are going to use this against me and I'll probably get suspended or some such. I've NEVER had so much trouble with an office and procedures as this place - it's as if my brain disconnects and I can't figure out the smallest, simplest task. I just KNOW I'll be called on the carpet again, and it's going to end badly.

I HATE this place - and I don't use that term lightly. If the building fell down tomorrow, I wouldn't cry. :tt2: I don't understand why I get paralyzed and can't seem to think straight in this place - I AM NOT STUPID - but I can't help but think that's their opinion of me.

Unfortunately, I have another 4 1/2 hours before I can leave for the day...and I have my band support group tonight, so I don't want to just bail. I've gotta stick it out today, but tomorrow is looking more questionable by the minute...:tongue2:

Edited by EbonyRose

Hang in there Ebony - I don't know what to say other than that - I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Beth - what do you do with 2 dining room sets??

The one is oblong AND has a leaf and six chairs and is in my dining room. The other has a leaf, but when it's not in, the table is round. It also has six chairs, but the two armchairs are in the basement. It perfectly fits my smallish eating area in the kitchen. Thankfully it worked perfectly because I really love the wood on that one.

I've re-covered the seats that I use in the dining room. They had already been re-covered by somebody else before me, so I don't know if they did like I did and simply cover over what was there. Right now I have black fabric with slubbing, and it goes well with the red, gold, and black I have in there.

The seats for the set I use in the kitchen are brown leather (or leather-like) and the seat portion is bolted down (unlike the other set which sits into the frame of the chair). I'm not crazy about the brown "leather," but I don't dislike it enough to take the chairs apart.

PJTP...This day has gone to he** in a handbasket - all in the course of about 30 minutes...

I was assigned the task of updating students on our 'waitlist' a couple of days ago - they were to be marked as 'deny'. I did this, and when I was at the status meeting yesterday, BB hands me a list of people whose decisions can be confirmed and released (meaning the candidate will be notified) and others whose decision should be 'held' until they are notified. I asked him twice about this, and he confirmed my understanding of the instruction and I wrote it down on the sheet.

I confirm and release the indicated people, then my Mgr asks me this morning if any one checked the list before I did the confirm/release operation. I did not have anyone do that because the BB told me to do it. Mgr asked me to have someone else check the decisions this morning and I wasn't quite sure what to have them check, but okay - I gave the list to two other staff people, who were just as confused as I.

The next thing I know, Mgr is coming into my workspace and sarcastically asks me if the procedure she is outlining "sounds familiar? Any of it?". I have a procedure for confirming decisions, but denying waitlisted candidates is not on that procedure sheet. So naturally, she spews her venom and walks away.

I still don't know what my next move should be and I'm almost scared to ask...I'm in tears at my desk because I KNOW they are going to use this against me and I'll probably get suspended or some such. I've NEVER had so much trouble with an office and procedures as this place - it's as if my brain disconnects and I can't figure out the smallest, simplest task. I just KNOW I'll be called on the carpet again, and it's going to end badly.

I HATE this place - and I don't use that term lightly. If the building fell down tomorrow, I wouldn't cry. :tt2: I don't understand why I get paralyzed and can't seem to think straight in this place - I AM NOT STUPID - but I can't help but think that's their opinion of me.

Unfortunately, I have another 4 1/2 hours before I can leave for the day...and I have my band support group tonight, so I don't want to just bail. I've gotta stick it out today, but tomorrow is looking more questionable by the minute...:tongue2:

WTH??

I think when you compose yourself, maybe you can (as kindly and politely as you can) tell the manager that she may want to discuss with BB what it was that HE told you to do, and how you clarified it with him TWICE... that if there is any issue in how you did what you did, it came from HIM.

If this isn't a set-up, I don't know what is. THAT is also the reason I hate having more than one person to answer to -- because we, the underlings, always seem to get caught in the crossfire in this very fashion.

(((((HUGS))))) to you, my friend. :)

I think when you compose yourself, maybe you can tell the manager that she may want to discuss with BB what it was that HE told you to do, and how you clarified it with him TWICE... that if there is any issue in how you did what you did, it came from HIM.

Excellent advice.

And yes, HUGS - lots of them - to Ebony.

PJTP...

You are both 100% right...and now that I've calmed down, that's exactly what I did.

I sent Mgr an email, quoted below:

I’ve attached a spreadsheet with all the records affected. The first sheet is the Unconfirmed / Unreleased records, the second has the records that have been confirmed and released, and the third sheet are the records on hold.

I asked BB (my edit) yesterday when he gave me the list if the records not highlighted (now on the second spreadsheet) were okay to confirm and release, and he said yes. I asked twice to be sure and when he said yes, I noted it on the sheet so I would be clear.

The ones on ‘hold’ are the same as on the sheet he gave me.

Not trying to make excuses or prolong this, but the instructions I have for Entering, Confirming and Releasing Decisions do not mention Waitlisted folks except for when they are initially waitlisted. Once they have “WA” (waitlist accepted) status, they no longer show up on the Awaiting Confirmation query, and running ‘The List’ does not give me the same columns, so the spreadsheet I have attached does not look the same.

Confirming and Releasing the decisions does not seem to work the same way because when I log in and go to ‘Manage Database’, the deny decisions for waitlisted people do not show up. I believe they will have to be confirmed and released individually.

I’ve attached the spreadsheet – will await further instructions.

WTH??

I think when you compose yourself, maybe you can (as kindly and politely as you can) tell the manager that she may want to discuss with BB what it was that HE told you to do, and how you clarified it with him TWICE... that if there is any issue in how you did what you did, it came from HIM.

Thanks for the good advice - see above

If this isn't a set-up, I don't know what is. THAT is also the reason I hate having more than one person to answer to -- because we, the underlings, always seem to get caught in the crossfire in this very fashion.

(((((HUGS))))) to you, my friend. :tt2:

I'm not sure what else I can do...we'll see what type of response I get, if any...and like you, I believe this is a kind of set-up. I've heard the budget is tighter than previously thought, so that means the heat will probably be turned up on me...

Excellent advice.

And yes, HUGS - lots of them - to Ebony.

Thanks so much, y'all! I just gotta keep plugging away...I'll do what I can, when I can, and try not to let it get to me...

Will check in and let y'all know what happens...going for a lunchtime walk shortly - I need to get out of the office for a few minutes...:tongue2:

I HATE this place - and I don't use that term lightly. If the building fell down tomorrow, I wouldn't cry. :angry: I don't understand why I get paralyzed and can't seem to think straight in this place - I AM NOT STUPID - but I can't help but think that's their opinion of me.

WTH??

(((((HUGS))))) to you, my friend. :frown:

PJTP...

You are both 100% right...and now that I've calmed down, that's exactly what I did.

I sent Mgr an email, quoted below:

I’ve attached a spreadsheet with all the records affected. The first sheet is the Unconfirmed / Unreleased records, the second has the records that have been confirmed and released, and the third sheet are the records on hold.

I asked BB (my edit) yesterday when he gave me the list if the records not highlighted (now on the second spreadsheet) were okay to confirm and release, and he said yes. I asked twice to be sure and when he said yes, I noted it on the sheet so I would be clear.

The ones on ‘hold’ are the same as on the sheet he gave me.

Not trying to make excuses or prolong this, but the instructions I have for Entering, Confirming and Releasing Decisions do not mention Waitlisted folks except for when they are initially waitlisted. Once they have “WA” (waitlist accepted) status, they no longer show up on the Awaiting Confirmation query, and running ‘The List’ does not give me the same columns, so the spreadsheet I have attached does not look the same.

Confirming and Releasing the decisions does not seem to work the same way because when I log in and go to ‘Manage Database’, the deny decisions for waitlisted people do not show up. I believe they will have to be confirmed and released individually.

I’ve attached the spreadsheet – will await further instructions.

I'm not sure what else I can do...we'll see what type of response I get, if any...and like you, I believe this is a kind of set-up. I've heard the budget is tighter than previously thought, so that means the heat will probably be turned up on me...

Thanks so much, y'all! I just gotta keep plugging away...I'll do what I can, when I can, and try not to let it get to me...

Will check in and let y'all know what happens...going for a lunchtime walk shortly - I need to get out of the office for a few minutes...:tt2:

What in the world?? First of all (((hugs))) Ebony. They are not treating you right, especially the reprimand in the open for all around to hear - even if no one did.

That was great advice, along with that I will just add... keep your chin up and don't let them take anything else from you. You are a wonderfully intelligent woman. Don't even go down that road.

Second, I think from now on it's best to get all work instructions in writing. They definitely have something against you. That I can't think of why. :)

I can't believe how behind I've gotten!

Beth - skipping meals can impede your weight loss.

I can't believe how behind I've gotten!

Beth - skipping meals can impede your weight loss.

Yeah, I know... :tt2: Here lately I've been drinking coffee in the morning and it really stunts my appetite.

I was a good girl and had lunch today, though -- yogurt and a salmon patty. :tongue2:

OH, and I got me some Skechers! Let's see if them suckas work.

What in the world?? First of all (((hugs))) Ebony. They are not treating you right, especially the reprimand in the open for all around to hear - even if no one did.

Exactly. If I didn't think it would backfire on her, I would recommend a formal complaint for THAT little ditty. Seems the manager can't manage properly if she feels that is proper.

Then again, I'm SURE they will use this against Ebony anyway, so she may have nothing to lose.

I will be interested in seeing what response she gets from the manager to her e-mail.

Yeah, I know... :) Here lately I've been drinking coffee in the morning and it really stunts my appetite.

I was a good girl and had lunch today, though -- yogurt and a salmon patty. :tongue2:

OH, and I got me some Skechers! Let's see if them suckas work.

Woohoo!! Good job!

Especially about the Skechers.. :tt2:

This is how they make me feel:

post-224357-13813138604319_thumb.jpg

PJTP...back from my walk, and my lunch stayed down, so I'm feeling better...the ice cream bar didn't hurt either! :)

Exactly. If I didn't think it would backfire on her, I would recommend a formal complaint for THAT little ditty. Seems the manager can't manage properly if she feels that is proper.

Then again, I'm SURE they will use this against Ebony anyway, so she may have nothing to lose.

I will be interested in seeing what response she gets from the manager to her e-mail.

This is what I got back...

These are the columns I want to see on an Awaiting Confirmation sheet. You could remove the other columns.

For a sample Awaiting Confirmation sheet, please go to the pool drive/admissions coordinator tasks/awaiting confirmation.

Ref Name Decision Comments Scholarships

Nothing addressing my questions / points about how the list was created, the involvement of the BB, nothing...instead this little nit-picky note about how the damn LIST was formatted? :angry:

Now she's gone for the afternoon - her mom is visiting and she's going to help her pack for her trip home...mind you, home is only in NY and we're in CT...

Thank you Diva - I thought that was over-the-top as well, and it's not the first time it's happened. At least one other time it was in her office with the door open, but anyone in the hallway could have heard her...

That was great advice, along with that I will just add... keep your chin up and don't let them take anything else from you. You are a wonderfully intelligent woman. Don't even go down that road.

Thanks again - I had a few bad minutes, but I'm feeling better...:tongue2:

Second, I think from now on it's best to get all work instructions in writing. They definitely have something against you. That I can't think of why. :tt2:

I know you're right - and I'll try to get things in writing from now on, but I'm sure I'll get 'pushback' on that. I just pray one of the other jobs I've applied for comes through quickly...the last one really NEEDS someone with my skill set, so I'm hopeful...

I :frown: y'all for all of your support...don't know what I'd do without y'all in my corner!

Edited by EbonyRose

This is what I got back...

These are the columns I want to see on an Awaiting Confirmation sheet. You could remove the other columns.

For a sample Awaiting Confirmation sheet, please go to the pool drive/admissions coordinator tasks/awaiting confirmation.

Ref

Name

Decision

Comments

Scholarships

Nothing addressing my questions / points about how the list was created, the involvement of the BB, nothing...instead this little nit-picky note about how the damn LIST was formatted? :tt2:

Now she's gone for the afternoon - her mom is visiting and she's going to help her pack for her trip home...mind you, home is only in NY and we're in CT...

If it was me, because I'm a snarky bitch, I would probably reply (always in writing/e-mail, of course, so you have your CYA) that, while you appreciate her reply, it does NOT address the specific questions you asked that, if addressed properly, would help you do your job to the specifications she requires -- which could also eliminate any further outbursts in public from her OR letters in your file. That you are trying your very best to make sure your bases are covered, to the point where you asked BB TWICE about what he wanted done in order to do it right, and that her outburst made it very obvious that either HE misinformed you OR SHE is not being clear and concise as to what she wants. That working in an environment where the rules change, procedures are not outlined or very specific, management doesn't agree on policies, and the undercurrent of hostility because of your inability to read minds says that either you are a bad Houdini or SHE is a bad manager (okay, maybe not include THAT part, but I'm just sayin... :tongue2:).

I would put it right back in her face. Be... not exactly passive-aggressive, but you know what I mean. Word it in such a way that you are firm without being a bitch, all the while showing that you are TRYING to do what is expected of you and that is why you keep clarifying with management and trying to get specifics of what is expected of you. So long as they don't provide those specifics, how in holy HELL can they hold you accountable for these phantom "mistakes"??

I know you're right - and I'll try to get things in writing from now on, but I'm sure I'll get 'pushback' on that.

Pushback in what way? Like they will balk at it?

Hell, I would say that it is the only way to ensure that you have proper procedures for what is expected of you! I mean, if they TRULY want you to do it right, how on earth could they have issues with providing you with the proper tools??? Unless, of course, they are purposely trying to sabotage you.

And frankly, if it was me and you got feedback that essentially said they did not want to have all of this in writing, I would slip that into some form of documentation to them -- that they either have no business whatsoever being in management, OR they must WANT you to fail, which is it? :tongue2: