Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First seminar!

Sitting in the hospital parking lot getting ready to go in for an information seminar. I am so, so nervous for some reason... I already scheduled my first consult for April 30th, so any advice or anyone new to the process that wants to share this journey is welcome!

It's normal to be nervous - you're starting a journey that you've never been on before and one that will completely change your life for the better!!

Just soak it all in and ask any and all questions you can think of. Take notes so you can refer back to them.

And breathe...you'll make it through this just fine and you'll probably leave the meeting elated and excited!

I had my seminar on the 7th of April and my appointment next week on the 25th I’m really excited and the seminar is very informative! And we got to meet the doctor and ask him questions 😊😁

SEMINAR IS JST FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE DIFFERENT TYPE OF SURGERIES.

THE CONSULT WITH THE DOC WILL ASK YOU QUESTIONS ABOUT WHY U WANT THE SURGERY AND WHAT TYPE DID YOU WANT. HE TAKES YOU STARTING WEIGHT AND ASK ABOUT FAMILY HISTORY AS WELL. AFTER THAT APPOINTMENT SOMEONE SHOULD BE SCHEDULING YOU FOR CLASSES AND TO SEE DIETITIAN AND PHYSIOLOGIST.

MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE WEIGHT LOSS PROCESS AND WILL ALL WORK OUT AT THE END

I AM CURRENTLY DOING MY CLASSES AND MEETING WITH THE SURGEON SOON

27 minutes ago, BKNEWJOURNEY2 said:

SEMINAR IS JST FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE DIFFERENT TYPE OF SURGERIES.

THE CONSULT WITH THE DOC WILL ASK YOU QUESTIONS ABOUT WHY U WANT THE SURGERY AND WHAT TYPE DID YOU WANT. HE TAKES YOU STARTING WEIGHT AND ASK ABOUT FAMILY HISTORY AS WELL. AFTER THAT APPOINTMENT SOMEONE SHOULD BE SCHEDULING YOU FOR CLASSES AND TO SEE DIETITIAN AND PHYSIOLOGIST.

MAKE SURE TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE WEIGHT LOSS PROCESS AND WILL ALL WORK OUT AT THE END

I AM CURRENTLY DOING MY CLASSES AND MEETING WITH THE SURGEON SOON

Thanks! yeah my consultation is Wednesday

And @BKNEWJOURNEY2 it is going to be worth all the struggles to get there. If I hadn't believed that myself I would have folded my tents, thrown them on the back of my trusted 🐪camel, 🐪🐪Clyde and slunk,off into the 🌴desert with Ahab the Arab. No secluded harem for me, I ride at dawn with the c rest of my tribe. 🌴🌴🙅🌴🌴

9 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

And @BKNEWJOURNEY2 it is going to be worth all the struggles to get there. If I hadn't believed that myself I would have folded my tents, thrown them on the back of my trusted 🐪camel, 🐪🐪Clyde and slunk,off into the 🌴desert with Ahab the Arab. No secluded harem for me, I ride at dawn with the c rest of my tribe. 🌴🌴🙅🌴🌴

I love this 💕

22 hours ago, b_co said:

Sitting in the hospital parking lot getting ready to go in for an information seminar. I am so, so nervous for some reason... I already scheduled my first consult for April 30th, so any advice or anyone new to the process that wants to share this journey is welcome!

So - How did it go???

So You are truly not alone in this. I also went to a Info session yesterday. My consult day is May 15th!

6 hours ago, Ylime said:

So - How did it go???

It went really well! I was surprised at how many people were actually there. I think I was the youngest person in the room. One of the surgeons went through each procedure and explained them very well. I'm in nursing school now so I actually already knew a lot of the information. After his presentation, a nurse came in to talk in depth about the entire process from scheduling the first visit to post-op visits. We were given instructions for calling our insurance companies (CPT codes/questions to ask/etc.) and a whole packet of information. They had 3 people in the back of the room that scheduled appointments after the seminar, for everyone interested in going on to the next step. It was very well organized, and I feel very confident in them performing surgery.

What I found was most interesting was that there are 2 sets of standard for WLS: one is the insurance's requirements and the other is the hospital's requirements.

My insurance company requires a psych evaluation and a 6 month physician-supervised nutritional program in addition to having a BMI >40 (or >35 with co-morbidities).

The hospital requires some additional appointments. For example, they require monthly visits (depending on insurance, 3 or 6 months; even if no insurance, they still require check ups for a minimum of 3 months), 2 nutrition visits - one visit being a group session, the other being an individual meeting, and if need be, additional visits. If there are any additional concerns that require further testing, they said they will go over that during our initial consultation.

I left the hospital crying yesterday because for the first time in my life I feel like there is hope for me to achieve a healthier and better me. I can't wait for my first consultation/physical on the 30th! :)

It's both exciting and a little scary what you all are undertaking. It will change your lives in v so many ways. Your internal organs may get rearranged, your diets will change, you may start exercising more, there will be,people evaluating your daily consumption of food, is your diet balanced, are you eating vegetables, are you,getting,enough Protein, are you getting adequate fluids? You thought Mama's nagging was,bad, wait until,you get a dietician on the prowl. Really all this is for your own good but sometimes,you will be certain they are going to,kill or at,least allow you to starve to death. Many of us when we start have fat complacent. bodies, they are happily chugging along, suddenly things change and your body is not happy. It gives you headaches and all kinds of weird sensations. You'll meet all kinds of interesting doctors, by the time they finish you'll feel the meat chart at the butcher shoppe, everyone has staked a claim to different parts of you. And before you hardly catch your breath a little it's time,for the liquid preparatory diet before surgery, you make feel it was inspired by Satan. Each surgeon v has their own unique idea on,whar,prepares you the best. Some will I meal,of,low carbo foods,And the rest of the day a couple Protein Shakes, some 3 shakes a day, some,make you do this for 2 weeks, some for 4 weeks, one thought is than will shrink your liver and,make it easier to, operate. Some still underneath feel they are beering prepared for human sacrifice. But you will..make through this challenge, And you will go on to a successful surgery. almost all of us do. and you will,look back and laugh at all you've done,so far. 😜

9 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

It's both exciting and a little scary what you all are undertaking. It will change your lives in v so many ways. Your internal organs may get rearranged, your diets will change, you may start exercising more, there will be,people evaluating your daily consumption of food, is your diet balanced, are you eating vegetables, are you,getting,enough Protein, are you getting adequate fluids? You thought Mama's nagging was,bad, wait until,you get a dietician on the prowl. Really all this is for your own good but sometimes,you will be certain they are going to,kill or at,least allow you to starve to death. Many of us when we start have fat complacent. bodies, they are happily chugging along, suddenly things change and your body is not happy. It gives you headaches and all kinds of weird sensations. You'll meet all kinds of interesting doctors, by the time they finish you'll feel the meat chart at the butcher shoppe, everyone has staked a claim to different parts of you. And before you hardly catch your breath a little it's time,for the liquid preparatory diet before surgery, you make feel it was inspired by Satan. Each surgeon v has their own unique idea on,whar,prepares you the best. Some will I meal,of,low carbo foods,And the rest of the day a couple Protein Shakes,some 3 shakes a day, some,make you do this for 2 weeks, some for 4 weeks, one thought is than will shrink your liver and,make it easier to, operate. Some still underneath feel they are beering prepared for human sacrifice. But you will..make through this challenge, And you will go on to a successful surgery. almost all of us do. and you will,look back and laugh at all you've done,so far. 😜

All This information gives me so much motivation!