Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanting to talk to someone who has had Gastric Sleeve before my surgery.

Hello All,

I am an Aussie, 63 yo male about to have a Gastric Sleeve op and i'd like to ask someone who has had this op about their experiences whether good or bad.

I would appreciate to read your experiences.

Rocket

Hi Rocket! I'm a 62 year old female and I'm having surgery on May 7th, so I'll be learning right along with you! When is your surgery?

Hey Rocket, i had GS on my 50th birthday and can say without a doubt it was the best decision i ever made.

it was my first ever surgery of any type so it was nerve wrecking as hell.

Every post op experience is different but mine went very very well.

slept 12 hrs after surgery. woke up started walking. went home next morning

walked like crazy till i was cleared for gym then hit the treadmill and started to learn about the machines.

energy levels were crazy scary during early months - have returned to a more normal now.

off all meds and cpap machine.

cant say enough good things about the second chance i have been given.

hope this helps - cant promise the same experience but you will get the same second chance so go get it and dont look back

Edited by allwet

Thank You allwet,

I do appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with a complete stranger.

I have only one other question and that is how is your eating. (Are restaurants any problem.)

Rocket

1 hour ago, Rocket said:

Thank You allwet,

I do appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with a complete stranger.

I have only one other question and that is how is your eating. (Are restaurants any problem.)

Rocket

As long as you dont mind looking like your just picking at your food you will be fine. eating out feels more like a waste of money than before but as i said in another post i tend toward just the appetizers and skip the dinner plates. Just order your drink in a to go cup cause you cant drink for a bit (30 minutes)

watch out for things with sauces they tend to be high in sugar and will make you feel like S H I T

other than that you can find something ok in most every place you want to eat. you just wont eat much of it so make sure it makes a good second meal for the next day.

I guess i kinda skipped over the first part of your question.

i still like and enjoy food. I eat a lot less of it but i still enjoy what i do eat and i dont like to waste that meal time with things i dont enjoy and that do not taste good.

i try to make each meal count - meaning something i enjoyed and not just mindless eating. My Breakfast tends to be the same ole same ole but i like the food so that doesnt bother me.

i haven't ran into anything that flat out wont agree with me except high sugar foods and i am glad of that but lots of folks don't even have problems eating sugar other than its bad for you that is (lol). The first months can be very different as you transition back to solids and get used to eating with your new pouch.

6 plus months out you can do pretty much what you want

That is why you need to learn good eating habits right out the gate cause you will not always have the same negative feedback as from the early months.

Edited by allwet

You’re more than welcome to message me anytime! I am a 21 year old and I got sleeved in November on the 28th and I’m down a total of 91 pounds so far. I’m probably one a few cases that doctors come by but you said you wanted to hear good and bad. I got my surgery done and everything went great. I was recovering as expected and I was trying to get up and walk as much as possible per my surgeons orders. About two weeks home from the hospital I got the flu from one of my friends and since my immune system was down. The flu almost killed me. I began vomiting non stop for two weeks straight and I could not keep anything down. I ended up going into the hospital for very severe dehydration. I got released after several days of being pumped with fluids and was headed home to my bed which I was super excited for. And that happened in December. We enter the month of January and I was doing good but wasn’t doing great since I was still sick. I ended up not feeling well one night and told my parents I was going to take a shower and if I’m in the shower to long just come and get me and I thank the lord everyday my parents were home. I ended up losing Consciousness in the shower due to the heat and a light headed feeling. I ended up falling down and protected my head just right to make sure I didn’t have any damage. My parents rushed in to the bathroom to find me unresponsive, thus 911 was called. I then had my parents with the help of my local fire department and paramedics help get me out of the shower get me covered up so I wasn’t exposed and take me to the hospital I had my surgery at. I ended up having lack of Fluid around my brain and was diagnosed with toxic metabolic encephalopathy. I stayed in the hospital for about a week, incoherent of everything around me. I had hallucinations and thought my dead grandfather was in my hospital room with me. I ended up losing a year of my life because I have no memory of the past year. And I’ve been on disability since my discharge in February. I have some neurological deficits but it’s mainly with memory and I have some eyesight problems as well because of everything as well as nerve damage in my leg from being so dehydrated. I’m not trying to scare you into not getting your surgery but I’m trying to make you aware of the reality of what could happen. I was very lucky and I’m very thankful every day of my life to still be alive. I don’t regret the surgery because I know I needed it to better my life and health and I’m so thankful for my guardian angels watching me. Please make sure if you get the surgery your loved ones are there and they will be there supporting you 100%. It honestly takes a huge load off your back and you feel a lot better knowing it have a good support network as well. And I write in a journal for all my feelings. Sometimes people who don’t get the surgery don’t understand what your feeling and there is sometimes a feeling of loss when you can’t eat something. I wish you all he best and I hope your surgery is smooth sailing. :)

Im 55 Rocket, had surgery in October, looking back the hardest thing about the whole deal was going to classes for 15 weeks before surgery. After that maybe first week trying to poop, being a little out of it for a few weeks and being on liquids but it wasn't bad at all. I haven't had any problem like some have had eating wise, i can eat anything i want and do go out to eat anywhere i want, i just always get a to go bag which is nice since it last at least 2 or 3 more meals. I wish i would of stayed a little more strict but best decision of my life, off all meds and down about 70-80 pounds.

I am 47 years old and was sleeved last Thursday. (I also had hernia repair.)

My surgery was done as an outpatient surgery. I slept a lot the day of surgery and was pretty sleepy the next day. I feel great. I have been at work since Monday. I am really tired but doing ok. I am tolerating my liquids wells and can't wait until next Thursday so that I can add a little more to my diet.

Hi Rocket & Neon Star, I actually had my gastric sleeve surgery on my 57th birthday, March 30. I weighed 380 at my heaviest about 5 years ago. I got very sick and have been on varying doses of prednisone. Due to my comorbidities, I had my surgery at a great teaching hospital in Florida about 5 hours from my home. I weighed 314# pre surg. I had my 2 week follow up yesterday. I am healing well and easily getting my Water and Protein requirements daily. I weighed in at 297#. I have advanced to the puree stage and am tolerating it well. The surgery was pretty easy. I had 2 c-sections to campare this with. For me, this was a 4 on a 1 to 10 scale. Pain was well controlled with the meds they gave me. I was walking a few hours after. I had terrible abdominal gas which walking helped a little. I was discharged the next day. The drive home was excruciating after about 3 hours. Gas built up and built up until I was miserable. The pain went straight up into my chest and shoulders. Otherwise, everything went very well. For my future health, I believe this was a great choice for me. I recommend it for everyone it will safely help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app