Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newb looking for insight....Sorry such a long read

9 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Do you need a Bariatric Aunt or Godmother

Hey Auntie, were you the inspiration for the character in that "Unbreakable" movie? I've never broken one bone to date, actually received my 1st set of non surgical related stitches about 5 or 6 years ago. Although I do tend to stay away from Dr's so there definitely have been other cases where I should have gotten stitched up. Thanks for the introduction. Sorry about your loss. And RD shame on her, although I get along great and love my parents dearly I am extremely guilty of not keeping in touch with them. Been working on that though. I do foresee my oldest being like yours with me. Hardly any conversation when she's home from school, hardly ever a response when I txt her and only ever reaches out to me when she needs something mom can't help her with. Oh well what can one do? Well good luck with getting your RnY and don't worry about the long response, I love a long read.

J

Frust8,

Tell me more about this tibia fracture. I injured my knees while attempting to jog in 2015. X-ray of right knee, stated I needed immediate treatment due to a well oscillated bone. My Dr. and the nurse I saw in orthopedics decided it was congenital. I insisted on the referral to ortho after my Dr. diagnosed my injury as arthritis, it is the VA so I never saw an ortho doc, just the nurse. I know exactly when I hurt myself, but did not hear any popping sounds. Long story short, our bodies do eventually heal without medical intervention. When the swelling improved you can actually see the bone chip. It is about the size of a dime and a quarter inch thick. Plus when my knee is bent there is some change in skin color. Needless to say I have been shaving my legs since the 5th grade, I think I would have noticed if I was born with that. Plus my daughter noticed it when she was visiting and asked when it happened. Admittedly, one knee did not hurt more than the other, they both hurt. They said it was hip knee petella syndrome and my cartilage apparently looked good on the X-ray. At this point it doesn’t hurt, but it took forever to heal and there was no over the counter meds that helped with the pain. I guess I am just always going to wonder what I actually did to myself. Also, now I don’t trust them to tell me if it is safe to run again. I feel they did not recognize how swollen my knees were or give me pain meds because I am fat. Maybe if I know how you mangled yourself I can figure out what I did. Thanks!

Edited by okayestmom
Grammar

@ J San one of my even better tales is the one about,the day I ran the size 10.5 knitting needle through my foot, even beats the evening RD deliberately kicked her foot through a glass storm window or when she kicked backward, she claimed reflexively, and broke,my nose. As the old comedian said once "I've got a MILLION stories" One of the even more recent ones. I was sitting outside of Wal-Mart waiting for Public Transportation bus, She was out shopping with her MIL, who she doesn't realize "has her number" also. we are about the same age and chat often, she doesn't know that either. Anywhoo she runs up to Tomkitten and I , throws her arms around each of us and gives a big hug. "Hmnn" I said "and what is This For?", literally had not seen her for,months. Oh , she announces, I've got Early Onset Dementia and I thought I'd hug you before I forgot who you were! Sometimes being around her is like being in the presence of a coral snake, attractive but keep an eye on them because they are poisonous.
one thing we don't share is the Alcohol addiction it does run in Daddy's side of the family. How devout were they? My great grandpa Priest had a keg , big honking one from what I hear, out in his barn of Hard Cider. Christmas morning he and the male relatives went marching out to said barn. Drew off,what didn't freeze and took turns drinking it. It does get cold in Ohio so,imagine what proof it must have been! Only,had drank,3-5 times in the my,live. Blended drinks make me sleepy, if I'm going to be taken advantage of, I want to be awake and enjoy it. In your checkered imbibing career have you ever tasted White Lightening? Well,i have, the dreaded corn-based moonshine liquor. Shoot Daddy's side of the family had stills,not all of them but a high%. Ever heard Joan Baez song about it? I'll give you the lyrics at the end, okay? I had a jelly glassful once and it only took once! Warm going down, well they did pride themselves on the smoothness, hits the bottom of your stomach,with a thud and within 15 minutes at least for me, the Migraine from Hades arrived. Sat down on the tree stump, both eyes and nose running, and tried to shake my head. Bad maneuver, only made it worse. Did I throw up? Nope wished I had, but I was too much a lady to do it in front of relatives and I didn't want to find out what it does to clothing and shoes. So I sat there an hour or 2 until my eyes stopped streaming, the world stopped spinning and I could trust my legs again. Okay the lyrics I promised.
Get you a copper kettle
Get you a copper coil
Cover with new-made corn mash
And never more you'll toil
Just lay there by the juniper
When the moon is high
Watch them jugs a-fillin' in the pale moonlight
(verse) My daddy,he made whiskey
My grand'daddy did too
We ain't paid no Whiskey Tax
Since 1792
We just lay there by the Juniper
When the moon is high
Watching them jugs a'fillin'
In the pale moonlight.
Yeah you're welcome, I come from a long line of. Buckeye Small Business Men, don't I?😝👍

My advice is to literally take this one day at a time. On one hand, it's very helpful to know what others are experiencing beofre and after the surgery, but on the other hand it can be really overwhelming reading the various experiences, opinions etc. You are in the beginning of a crazy journey so focus on what you need to do now, and don't get too freaked out about the future. You will do fine, just being able to reach out for help and feedback is great! A supportive family is very helpful.

We all have issues otherwise we would not be here. Just taking this first step proves you want a better healthier life for yourself and that is the opposite of crazy!