Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long term side effects of vsg

I am doing all the research I can buy I am finding it hard to find anyone still active who is a few years out and maintaining the weight loss.

Had anyone had any long term side effects or complications from the sleeve?

Just trying to be informed to make sure I make the right decision ,

There are a LOT of people here who have gotten to goal and maintained weight loss post sleeve.

Only about 50% of people regain weight after their initial weight loss....and the amount regained is pretty small.

> Me!!

I’m going in five years out. I go up and down within 7lbs of my lowest.

There are def people with long term complications and side effects... strictures are probably the biggest... but they are def the minority. Some people def regain... sliding back into old eating patterns. You can eat around the sleeve... slider foods like processed carbs, high calorie drinks, etc. but again they are the minority.

Any long term side effects? Well my stomach talks A LOT... gurgles and such. There are a few foods that still don’t agree with me—carbonation, rice, untoasted bread—but I shouldn’t be eating those anyhow. And they don’t make me sick they just are somewhat painful to uncomfortable.

Would I trade that for the 135lbs I lost, the marathons I run, the size 4 I wear and the blood pressure meds and prediabeties I left behind? Not a chance!

There are a LOT of people here who have gotten to goal and maintained weight loss post sleeve.
Only about 50% of people regain weight after their initial weight loss....and the amount regained is pretty small.

I am doing all the research I can buy I am finding it hard to find anyone still active who is a few years out and maintaining the weight loss.
Had anyone had any long term side effects or complications from the sleeve?
Just trying to be informed to make sure I make the right decision ,[emoji4]

Sorry that isn't what I meant I should reword this.
I meant people who are in the "maintain" phase we're they are at goal weight and just trying to maintain the weight they want. Haha Should have read that before I posted. I have seen a ton of people do so well also! Just wanted to see some people who were out of the fist year or so!

22 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

> Me!!

I’m going in five years out. I go up and down within 7lbs of my lowest.

There are def people with long term complications and side effects... strictures are probably the biggest... but they are def the minority. Some people def regain... sliding back into old eating patterns. You can eat around the sleeve... slider foods like processed carbs, high calorie drinks, etc. but again they are the minority.

Any long term side effects? Well my stomach talks A LOT... gurgles and such. There are a few foods that still don’t agree with me—carbonation, rice, untoasted bread—but I shouldn’t be eating those anyhow. And they don’t make me sick they just are somewhat painful to uncomfortable.

Would I trade that for the 135lbs I lost, the marathons I run, the size 4 I wear and the blood pressure meds and prediabeties I left behind? Not a chance!

Thank you so much! sorry i worded that weird i totally didn't mean people wern't maintaining their weight loss i meant people that had met goal and are in the "maintaining phase"

That doesn't sound too bad, as you've said you shouldn't eat those anyway! i am glad to hear you are doing so well 5 years post op!

One question do you still have your gallbladder?

No I understood what you mean, the post ops don’t tend to hang around on the site past a few years!

I had my gallbladder removed several years before my WLS so I’m not a good one to ask on that!

No I understood what you mean, the post ops don’t tend to hang around on the site past a few years!

I had my gallbladder removed several years before my WLS so I’m not a good one to ask on that!

Thank you so much! sorry i worded that weird i totally didn't mean people wern't maintaining their weight loss i meant people that had met goal and are in the "maintaining phase"
That doesn't sound too bad, as you've said you shouldn't eat those anyway! i am glad to hear you are doing so well 5 years post op!
One question do you still have your gallbladder?

Gah it seems like everyone has had it removed during surgery or already had it out. That is one thing I am slightly worried about but I guess I will just make sure it's checked beforehand and if they see anything I'll look into same time removal

Obesity can cause gallstones. So can rapid weight loss.

I don’t miss jr

Obesity can cause gallstones. So can rapid weight loss.

I don’t miss jr

I know it's a double ended sword. I looked it up and being larger around your midsection (me) is a main reason people get them haha. I guess I'll see what my doctor says [emoji108]

I know it's a double ended sword. I looked it up and being larger around your midsection (me) is a main reason people get them haha. I guess I'll see what my doctor says [emoji108]

There’s a medication called Actigall your doc can prescribe during the loss phase if your gall bladder is fine now

15 hours ago, jess9395 said:

There’s a medication called Actigall your doc can prescribe during the loss phase if your gall bladder is fine now

Oh ok ill have to ask my surgeon about it when i talk with her!

23 hours ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

Sorry that isn't what I meant I should reword this.
I meant people who are in the "maintain" phase we're they are at goal weight and just trying to maintain the weight they want. Haha Should have read that before I posted. I have seen a ton of people do so well also! Just wanted to see some people who were out of the fist year or so!

I will be four years out from sleeve surgery this June. Maintained at 130's first two years easily. My third year I had a gain 10 to 15 pounds. I got it back down. Maintaining for me is chasing the same 10 pounds up and down the scale.

My health is fantastic, Type one pre surgery my a1c is in the non diabetic range. I'm in the best shape of my life, I am making up for lost time.

Only one small complication. Reactive hypoglycemia ( Low blood sugars ) Its manageable with food. I've been managing my blood sugars all my life so this is nothing new.

1 minute ago, jenn1 said:

I will be four years out from sleeve surgery this June. Maintained at 130's first two years easily. My third year I had a gain 10 to 15 pounds. I got it back down. Maintaining for me is chasing the same 10 pounds up and down the scale.

My health is fantastic, Type one pre surgery my a1c is in the non diabetic range. I'm in the best shape of my life, I am making up for lost time.

Only one small complication. Reactive hypoglycemia ( Low blood sugars ) Its manageable with food. I've been managing my blood sugars all my life so this is nothing new.

That is so good to hear! I feel like being in that +-10lb range is pretty normal and ok i feel like most "normal" people chase that range of weight!

plus 10 pounds is doable if you are managing it at 10 and not 100 that is amazing!

Glad to hear you haven't had many side effects! I haven't had any issues with blood sugars but i am glad it is manageable after the sleeve!

i cant wait to be on the other side of this!

Congrats on getting your life back :)

3 minutes ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

That is so good to hear! I feel like being in that +-10lb range is pretty normal and ok i feel like most "normal" people chase that range of weight!

plus 10 pounds is doable if you are managing it at 10 and not 100 that is amazing!

Glad to hear you haven't had many side effects! I haven't had any issues with blood sugars but i am glad it is manageable after the sleeve!

i cant wait to be on the other side of this!

Congrats on getting your life back :)

Oh hey! Just noticed we are both in Idaho. My surgery was with St Lukes. When is your surgery date?

4 minutes ago, jenn1 said:

Oh hey! Just noticed we are both in Idaho. My surgery was with St Lukes. When is your surgery date?

Crazy i didnt even notice haha! I am going to have surgery at Bingham Is is the only other hospital in idaho that is a MBSAQIP Accredited Weight Loss Center other than ST.lukes!

I dont have a date yet :( Still doing the song and dance for insurance!