Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Stall - less than 2 weeks after surgery???

Hon dont count calories count macros my program never ever has a calorie goal because there is no legitimate way to figure out how many calories you need except for a very specific test not offered by most clinics. Instead get in Protein Water limit net carbs my program is 70-100 grams Protein a day 64 ounces of Fluid and less than 50 net carbs

Sent from my LGLS676 using BariatricPal mobile app

That’s exactly what my nutritionist said yesterday as well. Although she said not to count carbs either which seems a little odd, just to count protein fluids and make sure I’m getting in protein first, then veggies and then carbs last.

I am curious as to why gastric sleeve patients are commenting on her dilemma. Aren't they two different procedures and this is specifically for bypass patients or future bypass patients? Just confused as my problem will only be aided by people who have my problem or at least the same procedure. And as a newby I posted my problem and am anxiously awaiting responses significant to my procedure. I can't have the sleeve as I am having a revision done. thanks

1 hour ago, Candynorvell said:

I am curious as to why gastric sleeve patients are commenting on her dilemma. Aren't they two different procedures and this is specifically for bypass patients or future bypass patients? Just confused as my problem will only be aided by people who have my problem or at least the same procedure. And as a newby I posted my problem and am anxiously awaiting responses significant to my procedure. I can't have the sleeve as I am having a revision done. thanks

Probably because the recovery IS similar. Stalls are not unique to one specific weight loss surgery, or even surgery itself but are common in any weight loss program. Your body needs to sort of re-calibrate every now and then. Whether its the VSG, RNY or DS procedure, the recovery is similar, which is why many surgeons have similar post-op instructions.

Additionally, I wouldn't discount the information from sleeve veterans, because I've found those who are a few months out from surgery have been active on these boards for a long time and have absorbed a plethora of information from previous posters. They may have information about a procedure, even if it isn't the same surgery they had. Personally, I've found myself e-stalking a few posts from RNY patients despite being a pre-op sleever myself because their stats align with mine. Just my 2 cents though :)

I appreciate all the advice I can get. It’s been almost a full week and I’m still stalled!!! Eating less than 500 calories a day I don’t know how this is even possible and I am so frustrated !!

((hugs)) It is tough, at least for this first one. I finally broke my stall yesterday, so hang in there, it will happen. Hopefully our next stalls will be easier psychologically.

Is it possible I’ve hit my first stall less than 2 weeks after surgery?? I wrote on another post that hunger returned with a force 9 days after surgery, which is devastating to me. Now, I’ve been at a stall for the past 5 days or so, and have actually gained 2 pounds. I don’t understand what’s going on. Is it possible I’ve hit a first stall this soon ?? I’m 2 weeks post op today.

Not sure if this applies to you. However, my doctor reminded that since I am of “child bearing age” (lol loved how he phrased it) that I might see the few pound weight gain with ovulation and pms. I track my periods and noticed my stall/gain this week is happening during my ovulation time. The gain is less than before, but in the same time frame. I also noticed I felt the same hunger that I have during this time. That helped me not worry about it. It’s just my body doing what it does monthly. Lol

The answer is NO! Stay off the scale for 3-4 months. What your going through happens to most everyone & you should be concerned with nutrition & healing at this point. Don’t worry about your weight at this point. That will come later. And I know it feels like forever but it’s really not that long. Peace out!

This comment really helped me. I will be one week post-op tomorrow. I have lost one pound post-op. I can’t let myself get discouraged. I know I’m following my instructions. And I know that the most important thing is that my body heals. I put my body through a lot! The weight loss will come. The healing has to be the focus right now.

My doctor told me not to pay attention to my weight, just focus on getting my Protein, Water, Vitamins, and exercise. I'll admit up front that I've done very little exercise--whether because of bad knees or bad weather or bad attitude--but I've still lost what I consider significant weight (though far from enough).

One of my stalls lasted five weeks, I think. It is frustrating but one thing to remember is that even when we put on this weight, we didn't gain a pound every day--we won't lose it that way, either. Sometimes your body just needs the time to catch up . . . but if you are following your program, you WILL start to lose again. Hang in there!

Guys it’s a week and a half later and I’m still stalled !! This is so frustrating. I’m on track to not have lost ANY weight between by 1 week and 5 week post op appointment

On 4/17/2018 at 4:09 AM, nycgirl18 said:

Is it possible I’ve hit my first stall less than 2 weeks after surgery?? I wrote on another post that hunger returned with a force 9 days after surgery, which is devastating to me. Now, I’ve been at a stall for the past 5 days or so, and have actually gained 2 pounds. I don’t understand what’s going on. Is it possible I’ve hit a first stall this soon ?? I’m 2 weeks post op today.

No it’s not possible! Way to early to be concerned with weight loss. You shouldn’t even be weighing yourself for the first 3 months. Just get in your Protein & nutrients. Sorry but I’ve seen posts like this 100 times now & it’s becoming comical. Just calm down & worry about recovery. You don’t just get out of surgery & instantly start losing weight. Your body is in shock right now. It will happen soon enough.

18 minutes ago, nycgirl18 said:

Guys it’s a week and a half later and I’m still stalled !! This is so frustrating. I’m on track to not have lost ANY weight between by 1 week and 5 week post op appointment emoji30.png

Again it could take up to 3 months & possibly sooner to start seeing things happen. I only get my weight at appointments & have no scale at home. Just follow your plan and it will happen. I felt the same way as you when I went to appointments and got weighed but I never complained on here because my surgery group informed me that in the beginning this would most likely happen. Some people are fortunate and start losing right away & some may not even be truthful just for a pat on the back. These words came right from my dietitian. Just relax & see how your doing at 2 & 3 months out. For now you’re absolutely not a stall. This is completely normal. I would love to see an update at 2 & 3 months though. Things have definitely improved for me during that period.

Edited by Seahawks Fan

50 minutes ago, nycgirl18 said:

Guys it’s a week and a half later and I’m still stalled !! This is so frustrating. I’m on track to not have lost ANY weight between by 1 week and 5 week post op appointment

Hang in there, it will start. I finally started dropping again pretty close to a 3 week stall. I actually dropped down to 358 lbs. and the next couple of days I shot back up to 361 lbs. and stayed there for almost 3 weeks. This past week the scales finally started to move and I'm down to 356 lbs. I know it's hard and for all you've been through you're expecting more. I was feeling the same way, so you’re not alone. We just got to stay strong and stick to our plans and it will happen!

Putting weight loss in perspective becomes easier as you get more weeks under your belt. I promise! :-)

On 4/17/2018 at 10:22 AM, Apple203 said:

Stalls are demoralizing!!!! :( The one thing we have to remember is that they are common and they end, eventually.

^This:)

hello I am 1 yr & 5 months out from bypass and honestly I found it was beneficial to my sanity to not get on a scale only once a week. The first few months my weight went up then big drops down. as for hunger pains that is purely mental since bypass ectualy removes those recepters from your stomach. I found yoplait greek 100 with Protein was amazing at ending those pains and some of the flavors made me feel like I was eating a dessert LOL Just be patient it will come off even when your not trying. I have been at the same weight (my goal weight 150lbs) for over 5 months and I am not trying. I am eating just about anything I want (except bread, sugar or pasta) I do cheat on the Pasta sometimes LOL the main thing for you at this point is protein!! and the bariatirc Protein Powder was good when you blended in some real fruit. but the yoplait greek 100 with protein was amazing (i still eat 3 a day) and there is almost 20 g of protein in each one.