Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post. I have been looking all over the internet to find people who have had VSG with a starting BMI of under 40. My current BMI fluctuates between 34-36. I have about 70 lbs to lose to be considered "healthy weight." I am 30 years old, 5'7 and about 230 lbs. My goal weight would be 159.

Has anyone else had this surgery with a starting BMI 35 or under? What was your experience like? I am going to seminar in about 10 days at my local bariatric surgeon's office and hope to learn more then. I am nervous about the idea of having major surgery and keep telling myself that maybe I just haven't tried hard enough in the past to lose weight. However, I have never successfully lost any significant amount of weight on my own and worry I will only keep gaining as I get older. ON top of all of this, I have had 4 people in my family die of heart disease and most of my relatives over 40 have diabetes. I currently do not have any co-morbidity but am worried that I could be there soon.

I would love to hear anyone else's experiences (or be directed to another post) or hear any advice anyone has to offer!

Thanks!

I am 35 BMI with a few health issues HBP & High cholesterol. I just got approved the anthem BC/BS. Surgery date set for June 5. My experience with life is you can lose but hard to maintain. I have fluctuated my entire life ... I look forward to having a more permanent tool to help. Best wishes with your journey!! Keep us in the loop!

Congratulations on having a surgery date! Did you have to or will you have to have an endoscopy prior to your surgery? My local surgeon's office offers a "fast track" route for self-pay individuals. On their website they advertise that you can have surgery as soon as 30 days after your consult. I am curious if they will require to see a nutritionist/psychologists etc prior to surgery. I am expecting to have the standard blood work/vitals done but am hoping to avoid an endoscopy if possible.

I had one psych visit and all the routine bloodwork that needed done . Nutritionalist visits & also with the doctor and did a six-month routine as required by insurance. It was actually pretty easy. My general physician had ordered a endoscopy last year because I was having stomach issues to find out that I had a hiatal hernia and a small ulcer. My doctor didn’t require me to have another one because I had that one done.... in last 6 months. I was a mess the day I had to have it done so nervous but it was actually one of the easiest tests I’ve ever had done. I have had many surgery’s, back, neck , abdominoplasty, previous lap band in & removed & 2 c-sections fun!!!!! They put me out 15 mins later I was awake another 30 mins out the door & never felt or new anything happened. Easy:)

Thanks for the congratulations! I am very nervous about my surgery but I feel it’s my last hope ... I have Bad family genetics is well several have died of heart problems my brother was 39 with the widow maker. My mom had open heart . 2 heart attacks , diabetic and Alzheimers she passed away recently, my siblings have problems diabetic as well my dad passed away with liver issues and he was not a drinker. So many concerns for my future health/ feel like this is the best decision even though I’m still nervous! As others have said though if you’re not nervous he probably wouldn’t be a normal :-)

I believe choosing to do self pay has at a minimum saved me some brain cells. My health care is through the VA, but they do not cover bariatric surgery. Every health complaint I brought forward during routine physicals was met with "you need to lose weight, have you tried our move program?" The move program is an app that is less useful than myfitnesspal (think government tech). My surgeon did require a sleep study, swallow test, nutrition, and psych evaluation. I learned I had sleep apnea, a hiatal hernia, and I am crazy (just kidding about the crazy). Also, I have low Vitamin D. My blood pressure is high, but they always retake it and decide it is okay. So, after providing the VA with my sleep study that I paid for, they will be providing a CPAP for me on the 20th. I will get my surgery date after I have the CPAP. The VA also did a portion of the labs (the ones they do at the annual physical anyway). I paid for the rest of the labs.

Ultimately, I can't deny their sound medical advice, I do need to lose weight. I just need some help. My Mom had an RNY back in the 90's when it was not that common, she never got skinny, but I believe it prolonged her life. I also believe she would have lived even longer if she was able to get the surgery prior to her multiple health issues. She made it to 72, her Mom only lived to 62.

Side note-Mom also served in the military she was in the Women's Army Corp. Joined for the GI Bill only to learn after that the WAC were not eligible for the GI Bill. No worries though, the world keeps changing and I used my GI Bill!

Edited by okayestmom
Just made me proud thinking about my Mom

I had a BMI of 36, self pay in Mexico, had no problems during or after surgery, have lost about 70 lbs, gain a few sometimes and have to eat more carefully.

Overall good.

My BMI was 32 when I had the VSG in August of 2015. I do have PCOS and hypothyroidism, but neither would have counted as co-morbidities in regards to my insurance, so I would have had to gain a substantial amount to be approved for any coverage. The least expensive surgeon in my area (Los Angeles) quoted a total cost of $29,000, and the others I consulted would have cost even more. Instead I went down to Tijuana and had the surgery with a reputable surgeon at a new, clean facility for $4200, which included two nights at the Marriott. I had a very positive experience, with no complications or concerns, and have exceeded my expectations. I lost 86 pounds. I've gained back seven pounds in the past year, but that was directly aligned with having changed medication dosages. I still have the restriction, and am still happy every day with the decision to have the surgery.

Obviously anyone considering going to Mexico would need to do diligent research on their surgeon (mine was Dr. Fernando Garcia), and be willing to self-educate since you won't attend classes, but for me it was wonderful. A bonus was that I was able to choose the exact week I wanted to have surgery. I found ample information in advance from the sites for major bariatric centers in the US, such as the ones at Stanford and the mayo Clinic, so I learned about the eating stages and what to do and not to do. This forum and YouTube were also helpful since I could learn directly from the experiences of others.

Best wishes! :)

Oh jenpa I will pray for you, I think this will be of great benefit to you having surgery. All the rest of you, thank you for sharing your stories also. A burden shared always feels lighter💜😛

I am 5'7" and had a starting BMI of 34. I was tired of being heavy, and went ahead and scheduled surgery in Mexico with the OCC. My only wish was that I had done it sooner! It's been less than a year, and my BMI is 22. I haven't felt this good in years.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It is so helpful to hear from others. I am going to a seminar at the Bariatric center on 4/23/18. This is a requirement for my local surgeon and will hopefully be a good way for me to get some more information on what I might expect. I am still on the fence about the surgery. Part of me really wants to do it but another part of me says this is taking the easy way out, why have an invasive, elective procedure when you can just have more self-discipline. IF ONLY IT WERE THAT EASY, AM I RIGHT??? lol

I am 37 years old and 5’7” my BMI is 36. The only health issues I have is degenerative disc disease and sciatica. I have just finished my 90 day program for Aetna. I am currently waiting for my surgeons office to submit to insurance.
I have been looking in to surgery in Mexico if I am denied.

I have been denied once again through my insurance. I will now be going to Mexico to see Dr. Illan August 17th

Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post. I have been looking all over the internet to find people who have had VSG with a starting BMI of under 40. My current BMI fluctuates between 34-36. I have about 70 lbs to lose to be considered "healthy weight." I am 30 years old, 5'7 and about 230 lbs. My goal weight would be 159.
Has anyone else had this surgery with a starting BMI 35 or under? What was your experience like? I am going to seminar in about 10 days at my local bariatric surgeon's office and hope to learn more then. I am nervous about the idea of having major surgery and keep telling myself that maybe I just haven't tried hard enough in the past to lose weight. However, I have never successfully lost any significant amount of weight on my own and worry I will only keep gaining as I get older. ON top of all of this, I have had 4 people in my family die of heart disease and most of my relatives over 40 have diabetes. I currently do not have any co-morbidity but am worried that I could be there soon.
I would love to hear anyone else's experiences (or be directed to another post) or hear any advice anyone has to offer!

Thanks!

My BMI is 32 but started my journey at 37 I have high blood pressure I am on tricare so they cover it. It’s been a 7 months process and my surgery date is May 29. I am 220 know and 5’9 goal weight is 150

Thanks!

Hi Looking2Lose,

I started with a BMI of 35.5. My comorbidities would be high cholesterol and high blood pressure. The funny thing is my cholesterol is easily controlled with a low dose statin, and my blood pressure isn’t really high enough to treat with a small dose of lisinopril. I tried 5mg of lisinopril initially, but my blood pressure became too low. On my chart, the surgeon added glucose sensitivity, but the only time my glucose was a problem was during pregnancy when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes (30 years ago). I’ve never been diagnosed with pre-diabetes.

It felt great to receive the insurance approval. It felt even better once the hospital bill arrived ($25,000).