Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there other diabetics in here who have to take an A1c



Recommended Posts

On 4/14/2018 at 11:42 PM, charismatic said:

Sometimes some of the stuff I see on this board sounds like some surgeons only want perfect patients. That’s their choice but being perfect did not get most of us here and to make the choice to have WLS. I’m glad some surgeons do higher risk cases or a lot of people that really need this tool would be SOL.

It's not about perfect patients, it's about keeping the chances of short-term and long-term complications low. My dad's A1c hovered around 10 for years, and that was with numerous medications and insulin injections several times a day. When he had to have knee surgery, he had all kinds of issues with the wound healing properly. He had to see a wound specialist and go on several different kinds of antibiotics before the situation resolved itself (and it took months). Why a surgeon would want to risk that, I can't say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are risks to surgery no matter what. So don't give me that crap about your father staying at 10 Ac1 for years and that it affected his knee surgery and applying that logic to sleeve surgery. I have never heard from my health care providers yet about my A1c. Can you tell me why not? But what I am concerned about is that I could be denied sleeve surgery if my A1c is too high. Why not tell me that early on? Why wait a week until my surgery to tell me? Thats unethical. Maybe going to an attorney may be the route to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High A1c means your diabetes is not controlled, which means there's a higher chance of complications related to healing. You can't argue with statistics or handwave them with "well, there are risks no matter what." There are risks to crossing the street, but it's riskier if you've been huffing paint before you do it.

Personally speaking, my checklist of items that needed to be completed before my surgeon would attempt to obtain authorization from my insurance company included "get your A1c below 7." It was right there, in big bold letters. Since mine was a little over 6 at the time, it was a moot point.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you've spent 3 days freaking out on here when you could've called your surgeon and had your answer by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, apositivelife4me said:

There are risks to surgery no matter what. So don't give me that crap about your father staying at 10 Ac1 for years and that it affected his knee surgery and applying that logic to sleeve surgery. I have never heard from my health care providers yet about my A1c. Can you tell me why not? But what I am concerned about is that I could be denied sleeve surgery if my A1c is too high. Why not tell me that early on? Why wait a week until my surgery to tell me? Thats unethical. Maybe going to an attorney may be the route to go.

Please just go ahead and call your surgeon's office and ask for their guidelines and what they would be willing to do to work with you if they have an A1c threshold for surgery. When I had my consult back in September, my A1c was over 11. My surgeon told me to work with my endocrinologist to get it under 8 (his threshold) in order to avoid complications, but that if I wasn't able to do that, he would speak with my endocrinologist, and we would find a way to do the surgery if possible, knowing that I may have difficulty with infections and wound healing. I have been fortunate to be able to get my A1c down to 6.0 and feel much better about having limited my risk for complications. It makes most sense to speak with your surgeon and determine the best course of action for you.

Edited by brightfaith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, brightfaith said:

Please just go ahead and call your surgeon's office and ask for their guidelines and what they would be willing to do to work with you if they have an A1c threshold for surgery. When I had my consult back in September, my A1c was over 11. My surgeon told me to work with my endocrinologist to get it under 8 (his threshold) in order to avoid complications, but that if I wasn't able to do that, he would speak with my endocrinologist, and we would find a way to do the surgery if possible, knowing that I may have difficulty with infections and wound healing. I have been fortunate to be able to get my A1c down to 6.0 and feel much better about having limited my risk for complications. It makes most sense to speak with your surgeon and determine the best course of action for you.

Ok thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am the first one in here to bring up the topic of A1c so it must not be that big of a deal. My thing is I have waited 8 months for my surgery and no one on my health care team has ever mentioned to me anything about my A1c. That is what I am concerned about. And my question is why haven't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are worse things than having an A1c of 10.

1. eating and drinking things like pizza, huge meals, drinking alcohol days after the weight loss surgery.

2. Binge eating and drinking right after surgery.

These things can keep a person from healing properly too. We hear a lot about these things but not about A1c.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, apositivelife4me said:

I am the first one in here to bring up the topic of A1c so it must not be that big of a deal. My thing is I have waited 8 months for my surgery and no one on my health care team has ever mentioned to me anything about my A1c. That is what I am concerned about. And my question is why haven't they?

I think your surgeon's office is the only one that can answer this for you. Giving them a call will help resolve this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my surgeon, while I have a surgery date now, wants my A1C down about a 1/2 point and said we'll do a test about 2 weeks before surgery. the reason is because the higher your A1C, the higher chance of infection afterwards. He did say that if it was too high, he would 'give me more time to get it down'. meaning I could have my date pushed back. so i'm working HARD to get there and not have any delays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, apositivelife4me said:

There are worse things than having an A1c of 10.

1. eating and drinking things like pizza, huge meals, drinking alcohol days after the weight loss surgery.

2. Binge eating and drinking right after surgery.

These things can keep a person from healing properly too. We hear a lot about these things but not about A1c.

Yes there's also worse things than delaying or canceling a surgery. Like getting hit by an Asteroid.

The fact is if you have a documented record of your a1c on paper and anything bad happens it's a clear cut case of negligent behavior by the surgical team, and opens the door to liability and lawsuits by the hospital and surgical team as well as them eating the cost of any complications. Why they would proceed without during their due diligence is beyond me.

And you've made it blatantly clear that you haven't cleaned up your diet at all so that your BMI still qualifies.

You can eat lots of calories without eating garbage allowing your blood sugar to go all over the place. Complex carbohydrates, nuts fats less lean meats coconut/dairy cream are all high in calories allowing you to maintain your weight without spiking your blood sugar up and down.

But it sounds like that's not the answer you want to hear.

Why your surgical team hasn't addressed it is beyond me. It's possible they don't give a ****, it's possible they're unorganized, it's possible they didn't look at it because your PCP did the lab work, or it's possible that it's something they won't address until the last minute.

You have two choices. Address the issue, or continue to try to convince people on the internet that it's not a big deal and roll the dice with whatever happens

Edited by Mhy12784
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mhy12784 said:

Yes there's also worse things than delaying or canceling a surgery. Like getting hit by an Asteroid.

The fact is if you have a documented record of your a1c on paper and anything bad happens it's a clear cut case of negligent behavior by the surgical team, and opens the door to liability and lawsuits by the hospital and surgical team as well as them eating the cost of any complications. Why they would proceed without during their due diligence is beyond me.

And you've made it blatantly clear that you haven't cleaned up your diet at all so that your BMI still qualifies.

You can eat lots of calories without eating garbage allowing your blood sugar to go all over the place. Complex carbohydrates, nuts fats less lean meats coconut/dairy cream are all high in calories allowing you to maintain your weight without spiking your blood sugar up and down.

But it sounds like that's not the answer you want to hear.

Why your surgical team hasn't addressed it is beyond me. It's possible they don't give a ****, it's possible they're unorganized, it's possible they didn't look at it because your PCP did the lab work, or it's possible that it's something they won't address until the last minute.

You have two choices. Address the issue, or continue to try to convince people on the internet that it's not a big deal and roll the dice with whatever happens

Thank you for your kind reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Mattymatt

      I am starting to really like physical activity! Just did a 30 minute hi-intensity cycle ride at LA Fitness. Yeah it was tough but it sure feels great afterwards. I feel like a completely new and different person; like the depression is starting to lift and I feel a renewed sense of motivation. I actually feel like getting my performance bicycle out of mothballs. I haven't ridden it in 5 years and right now I am so glad I did not get rid of it. I am going to get it over to the bike shop, tune it up, and get ready to ride. There is an event on August 25th, almost exactly 5 years to the day that I rode my first ever century ride, 100 miles. I marked it on my calendar and the training begins now! I need something to keep me on the straight and narrow, something to focus on. Even if I am the last rider at the finish line, I will be a winner.
      · 2 replies
      1. Chrisb428

        That is so great! I am looking forward to the things that will be so much easier to do this time next year (hopefully) Having something to look forward to amd work towards always makes it easier to get through the bad days. Good luck with your training, I'm sure u will be successful at it 😁

      2. Mattymatt

        I truly think success is a mindset and I am now setting my mind to the prize .... Shore Fire, baby!!!

    • istytehcrawk

      When I got dressed this morning, I realized I was wrong about the size of the jeans I got at Walmart the other day. They're not 26/28s; they're 24/26s! Which is even better, but also ridiculous because a pair of size 26 pants from the same brand were too small. The jeans have stretch, though, and the pants did not.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • karen_marie

      As of last Friday, I dropped back into Onderland!!! Can't believe it! Last time my weight started with a one was at least 10-15yrs ago. Pic from this Saturday with my hubby and his mom at our house warming party. Other pic is me at my heaviest last summer. The transformation blows me away! As a reward for hitting this big milestone, I'll be signing up for a horseback trail ride - the first one I've been able to do in over a decade due to weight restrictions. I'm sooo excited!! I'm also training for my first half marathon - ran my first 10k on Sunday  It's incredible what I'm able to do now, and everyday I'm thankful for this amazing tool that is helping me realize some big dreams.


      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Newme17

      So, getting finances in order, I managed to sell my 2016 Toyota Avalon. It was a beautiful car, of which surprisingly, I’m doing fine without and I actually don’t miss it; and also of which resulted in having a one-vehicle household, which resulted in me HAVING to walk 2.2 miles everyday 5x a week to get my daughter to school. I’m actually quite glad, I’m feeling better/stronger again, and I dropped almost $20,000 of debt. WIN-WIN! 
      · 5 replies
      1. Sleeve1stFitNext

        Awesome sauce!!!

      2. FluffyChix

        Yay!!! That's incredible on so many levels! Yay you! (You wouldn't have been able to do it if you didn't have the surgery and re-birth!"

        Maybe you should look at practicing your nutrition stuff from home?

      3. Creekimp13

        Car debt is the bane of my existence. Wont do it. And I love Toyota...I drive (and LOVE) my 2015 Camry...so I know how hard that was. Absolutely awesome you're getting the walking in, instead. Love that so much! Also teaches good habits to the kiddo....which is brilliant.

        Speaking of kiddo and cars..I've spent the last three months combing the web for a used car for my daughter. She has a summer job lined up here and needs a car to get to various labs and sample sites....and I won't let her go into more debt. (she has minimal student loans and will graduate next year with her microbiology degree)

        I found her a 2008 Malibu from Tennessee, clean inside and out...with just barely 100K on it...and I'm feeling incredibly accomplished. $3000, we paid cash :) CarFax is clean, mechanic said it was in great shape and she should get a few years out of it yet. Very common car with cheap parts if repairs are needed in the future. Previous owner did a valve job and replaced timing chain, and all maintenance was done at dealership. Brand new tires and brakes.

        It's parked in our driveway as we speak. Runs and sounds like brand new.

        I can't wait to see her face:)

      4. Mattymatt

        Well that's awesome! Keep up the good, positive work. :-)

      5. Newme17

        Lol. Cute...I like that “awesome sauce!” @Sleeve1stFitNext!

        @FluffyChix there’s so much that I probably wouldn’t have done if I didn’t have this surgery! I’m still so glad I did too. I seem to work better when being “forced” in to situations. Lol

        @Creekimp13, we’re Toyota lovers here. A former Avalon, and two former Tundras...currently on our third Tundra...and have always had a car payment! Ugh! We’re doing this Dave Ramsey program that’s making a lot of sense to us and so there went the Avalon. Also in the process of maybe getting a cash car...speaking of which, you were hugely blessed for what you found! Wow! That’s the kind of deal I want. I told the hubby not to buy one yet though, I’m enjoying the walks and the time with my kids walking. Definitely good habits being taught. 😊

        @Mattymatt thanks hon! Its hard to be in the dumps when there’s a win on both sides! Yay!!!

    • allwet


      so a newborn giraffe:  no wonder i am tired today
      Looking forward to complete Oxford English Dictionary
      Dam wish i hadn't missed that Gold brick.  Just my luck
      well got to fed the Giraffe. Catch you all later
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×