Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guys I am worried that this surgery won't be able to help me...

I've been the chubby kid my whole life even when I was at my most active I've been considered overweight.

I'm just wondering with a slow metabolism is there still hope that a sleeve will help me ☹️🤷

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

Many many many people who are successful were obese kids.

Most of us probably have an endocrine element to why we're fat.

Most of us have genetic fat cards in play, too.

But All of us...undeniably....have terrible eating habits. (or have had them)

Ultimately, the surgery is just a tool that helps when we finally decide to step up and take responsibility for our behavior.

Unless you are committed to changing your eating habits and lifestyle habits....no, surgery will not help you.

yes, a lot of us have genetic handicaps in this game....for some people it's just flat out easier than others.

Younger people are going to have it easier than people going through menopause.

People with health and mobility issues are going to have it tougher than healthier fat people.

But the only factor that will guarantee failure....is not taking responsibility for your eating behavior.

Everything else...you can overcome.

Edited by Creekimp13

Many many many people who are successful were obese kids.

Most of us probably have an endocrine element to why we're fat.

Most of us have genetic fat cards in play, too.

But All of us...undeniably....have terrible eating habits. (or have had them)

Ultimately, the surgery is just a tool that helps when we finally decide to step up and take responsibility for our behavior.

Unless you are committed to changing your eating habits and lifestyle habits....no, surgery will not help you.

yes, a lot of us have genetic handicaps in this game....for some people it's just flat out easier than others.

Younger people are going to have it easier than people going through menopause.

People with health and mobility issues are going to have it tougher than healthier fat people.

But the only factor that will guarantee failure....is not taking responsibility for your eating behavior.

Everything else...you can overcome.

My eating habits have been less than ideal for the past few years... But I am changing that.

I am on a no sugar/low carb diet and have been for a while but I still have a hell of a time loosing weight. My body just likes to hold on to it. It also doesn't help that after a graduated college I now sit for 10 hours a day for work.

I am ready to change and ready for this. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar background... I just don't want to fail.

6 hours ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

Guys I am worried that this surgery won't be able to help me...

I've been the chubby kid my whole life even when I was at my most active I've been considered overweight.

I'm just wondering with a slow metabolism is there still hope that a sleeve will help me ☹️🤷

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

I think it is only a very, very small fraction of a percent that get the surgery and have it not work; less than 1%. It is so small as to be statistically insignificant. The bottom line is that weight loss surgery works! But it only works if you follow your program's guidelines, track your intake, and get some form of physical activity. If you can do this, it is almost a foregone conclusion that you will lose weight, but the speed at which you lose can vary greatly as each person's body is unique. Weight loss surgery is a tool, not the magical answer.

8 hours ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

My eating habits have been less than ideal for the past few years... But I am changing that.

I am on a no sugar/low carb diet and have been for a while but I still have a hell of a time loosing weight. My body just likes to hold on to it. It also doesn't help that after a graduated college I now sit for 10 hours a day for work.

I am ready to change and ready for this. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar background... I just don't want to fail.

I, too, have a very sedentary job (accountant). But you can still work in some exercise. When I take a bathroom break, or go to get ice Water, I go to the floor below mine. At lunch, I go outside and walk. Do leg-lifts under your desk. Google "exercise at your desk", there are several options that won't have the entire office staring at you! Get creative!

And honestly, if you have genes that set you up to be heavier, weight loss surgery probably can't turn you into a size 2. My doctor will be happy if I get to 191 and maintain. I want to go farther, but I realize he's probably being more realistic. And I would be much healthier than I am now and I'm sure my knees would be pleased. Good luck on your path!

2 hours ago, Mattymatt said:

I think it is only a very, very small fraction of a percent that get the surgery and have it not work; less than 1%.

Sadly, it's actually about 11%.

24 months after RNY, about one in ten people have failed to lose weight.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25591162

This is why taking behavior modification very seriously is so important.

2 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Wow, I had no idea it was that high. Thanks for the link.

6 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Apparently I misunderstood the data I was being told. Thank you for correcting me because I really don't want to spread wrong information. :) That is statistically significant but still a minority.

To be considered a success, patients have lost 50% of their excess weight in 24 months. Having "weight loss failure" is defined by losing less than 25% of your excess weight in 24 months.

We're not talking reaching goal weight. We're not talking percentage of starting weight. We're talking....percent of EXCESS weight.

Say you're a 250 pound person who has 100 pounds to lose. If you reach 200 pounds, you're in the success category.

Say you're a 400 pound person who has 220 pounds to lose. If you reach 290 pounds, you're in the success category.

Edited by Creekimp13

Hi I had surgery in October I have a sedentary job as well. I have lost weight but very slowly compared to others at the same time as me. I was initially very upset as my calorie intake was dramatically reduced from what it was. So I then paid for a metabolism test through a physio who said it was at the low end of normal but not anything really bad and basically I had to really start consistent exercise and I have to be careful about what I eat - particularly sugar - in saying that the op makes it easier to do that. I have just had to accept it is going to take a longer time than I had hoped for and more work than I expected. I hired a personal trainer to get my exercise going (which I felt guilty about) and now I love it. It is all still slow but I have little muscles and heaps more energy it was worth it. I also don’t live in fear of putting it all straight back on like a diet - if I lose it stays off. Best of luck to you.

3 hours ago, gomum said:

Hi I had surgery in October I have a sedentary job as well. I have lost weight but very slowly compared to others at the same time as me. I was initially very upset as my calorie intake was dramatically reduced from what it was. So I then paid for a metabolism test through a physio who said it was at the low end of normal but not anything really bad and basically I had to really start consistent exercise and I have to be careful about what I eat - particularly sugar - in saying that the op makes it easier to do that. I have just had to accept it is going to take a longer time than I had hoped for and more work than I expected. I hired a personal trainer to get my exercise going (which I felt guilty about) and now I love it. It is all still slow but I have little muscles and heaps more energy it was worth it. I also don’t live in fear of putting it all straight back on like a diet - if I lose it stays off. Best of luck to you.

Yeah i know being active is very important and i really try to be!

luckily i have 2 dogs who insist on going to the park everyday so that is a really good source of exercise for me!

Were you a "chubby" child as well? Ive always been chubby but im definitely obese now. i am hoping my body will be ok and the weight will go away with the exercise, restriction and healthy eating!

how much weight have you lost if you dont mind me asking?

If you dont want to share i totally understand :)

Edited by dreamingofasleeve

I have lost 17 kgs in 6 months but 8 of it was during the pre surgery phase and then it slowed. But i am confident it is still happening and 30 - 40kgs overall I would be happy with. I was chubby until puberty when I grew quite tall quite quickly and probably would have been in a healthy range then I put on a lot of weight with my first pregnancy and it just stayed until now.