Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve complications again!

So I haven't been on here for a while but had to share with others my experiences with the gastric sleeve.

I had my surgery on April 12, 2016 the first 6-8 weeks it was going great some vomiting here and there while getting used to the new ways of life. Then the now and then became more and more frequent til I was vomiting daily. I this was not right so I had a long talk with the doctor he told me he was thinking i had a kink in the sleeve and sent me to a gastroenterologist. This doctor was sure it was a kink and scheduled me for a Esophagogastroduodenoscopy or EGD on August 12, 2016. The EGD went well for about 2 weeks than slowly I started vomiting again more and more, back to the doctor then to get another EGD on October 20, 2016. This time it seemed to do the job by the end of January I was doing good than the beginning of February the vomiting started again back to the doctor and April 25, 2017 EGD #3. I knew it linked again by may but I was sick of it so I decided to stick it out, BAD MOVE on July 27, 2017 I was rushed to the emergency room with Severe dehydration because I couldn't keep anything even ice down. July 29,2017 EGD #4. After that one I could tell it wasn't going to be long be i was back there and i was right November 8, 2017 I went in for EGD #5. After that last one it was a 100% different feeling not for the good but I pushed through and waited it out. I went in for my 2 year post OP appointment on April 10, 2018 (2 days before my 2 year) and doc was not happy to hear I am scheduled for my 6th EGD on May 10, 2018 so after looking at my labs and my upper GI from January I was told that my body is basically like rejecting my sleeve and my new lifestyle I have to live. So now i am waiting for a call from the doctor to start my new journey of having a gastric bypass done on my sleeve (revision) before I could think of what I should say I started crying and repeating "Why on earth did I do this to myself. I regret ever having this damn surgery". She calmed me as much as she could and now I'm waiting for this all to begin. When I was 18 months post OP my OBGYN gave me the go ahead to try for a baby. We decided to wait a little longer because he was working out of state. Now that he's back and we want to start a family I am told that I can't for another couple years. My life is crumbling and I am so disappointed that I can't start the family my boyfriend wants I'm even considering telling him to leave me and find someone that isn't a broken mess.

That sounds horrible and I'm sorry you are going through that. I will preface this with I'm not a doctor, but I think you should also consider seeing a different surgeon. You are "rejecting the sleeve" and "revision to RNY" both sound like complete bullsh!t explanations for what your going through and read more like "I don't know what the problem is" and "I really only do two surgeries, so if the first is causing an issue lets try the other."

What is actually happening inside? If its kinking, what is causing the kinking? These are the questions that they should be able to answer before making any recommendation for more surgery.

Also on a separate note an EGD is a test, what procedure are they actually doing to temporarily address the issue?

Edited by aNYCdb

((hugs)) Wow! So sorry to hear you're having such a tough time and have struggled so and now have to defer life another 2 years. I second the second opinion part! :(

1 hour ago, aNYCdb said:

That sounds horrible and I'm sorry you are going through that. I will preface this with I'm not a doctor, but I think you should also consider seeing a different surgeon. You are "rejecting the sleeve" and "revision to RNY" both sound like complete bullsh!t explanations for what your going through and read more like "I don't know what the problem is" and "I really only do two surgeries, so if the first is causing an issue lets try the other."

What is actually happening inside? If its kinking, what is causing the kinking? These are the questions that they should be able to answer before making any recommendation for more surgery.

Also on a separate note an EGD is a test, what procedure are they actually doing to temporarily address the issue?

They insert a balloon and dilate my stomach to straighten the kink