Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all, first time posting. Was hoping for advise. My VSG is scheduled 4/17/18. This is my second time going through this as I chickened out this first time 2 years ago. I have never felt 100% sure of my decision to do the VSG. Part of me knows I need to get the weight off but the other part is afraid of all of it, diet, Protein, Water intake, Vitamins, Hair loss etc and that part makes me want to cancel again and figure it out on my own. I am active but I am addicted to food. I feel maybe I should get more counseling on that before I do the surgery? I am day 5 of ten into my pre op liquid diet and have not been very successful with it! How am I going to be compliant after surgery if I can’t now! I barley get 40 oz of water and maybe one shake in right now, how will I do this after surgery? I have gotten advise from Dr’s, family, friends, counselors, and other VSG pts but I still seemed to be second guessing having surgery. Did/does anyone else feel this way?? Just being honest, please no harsh judgment I’m fragile ☹️

Best thing I've ever done. And I had RNY.

The real truth was that my biggest fears and anxiety about "being able to do this long term," were the lies being whispered to me by my fat food addict brain. It would do or say ANYTHING to us to keep us providing the fixes it wants in the dopamine/seratonin department. You're a nurse. You know in your heart of hearts I'm speaking the truth.

My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. That's my only regret.

You ultimately have to make this decision. You know?

Best thing I've ever done. And I had RNY.
The real truth was that my biggest fears and anxiety about "being able to do this long term," were the lies being whispered to me by my fat food addict brain. It would do or say ANYTHING to us to keep us providing the fixes it wants in the dopamine/seratonin department. You're a nurse. You know in your heart of hearts I'm speaking the truth.
My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. That's my only regret.
You ultimately have to make this decision. You know?

My only regret was not doing this sooner as well.@fluffychix is wise.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

hey nurse. no judgement i promise

I to was addicted to carbs and spent 2 years trying to cut them out as my doctor asked but i could never do it completely or for long. i just simply couldnt do it. it was the worst feeling ever.

i had never had any kind of surgery in my life and the thought scared the hell out of me.

but you know what else i knew. i was killing myself slowly but surely i was digging my own grave.

i did the whole pre process with as little thought as possible because i had to stay out of my own head or i would talk myself out of it and that had only one ending and it was a headstone before i was 60.

Today i can tell you i have never felt better in my life. i feel like i remember feeling in my 30's. what little of my 30's i can remember.

sleep apnea stole most of my memeors from the last 5 years and really mixed up lots of others.

high blood pressure and diabetes might have killed me before the sleep apnea stole my mind but i didnt want to find out.

There is a future at the end of this path please chose carefully which future you set for yourself

Edited by allwet

It's easier to resist after surgery, but get counseling any way. food addiction is real and you need coping skills to deal with the 'how' - how to not turn to food for comfort, or use it to relieve anxiety/shame/boredom, etc. You can do this if you learn to look at food as just food. Good luck.

Hello all, first time posting. Was hoping for advise. My VSG is scheduled 4/17/18. This is my second time going through this as I chickened out this first time 2 years ago. I have never felt 100% sure of my decision to do the VSG. Part of me knows I need to get the weight off but the other part is afraid of all of it, diet, Protein, Water intake, Vitamins, hair loss etc and that part makes me want to cancel again and figure it out on my own. I am active but I am addicted to food. I feel maybe I should get more counseling on that before I do the surgery? I am day 5 of ten into my pre op liquid diet and have not been very successful with it! How am I going to be compliant after surgery if I can’t now! I barley get 40 oz of Water and maybe one shake in right now, how will I do this after surgery? I have gotten advise from Dr’s, family, friends, counselors, and other VSG pts but I still seemed to be second guessing having surgery. Did/does anyone else feel this way?? Just being honest, please no harsh judgment I’m fragile ☹️

I totally understand, I'm the same way. But, I keep telling myself how will I feel if next year I'm the same (or heavier). And I know how uncomfortable I am now. I get especially worried when I see how winded I get doing compressions or having to run a patient to ICU. I need to know that I'm in the best shape for myself and those I care for.

SW:275
GW:150
Height: 4ft 11in
VSG: 5/11/2018