Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric emptying study

Hey everyone!

I just had an EGD done with my surgeon and he said my stomach was full of food. The last thing I ate was at 11:45 last night and they said not to eat after 12am. The egd was at 7 something am!

Have any of y’all ever had to take this step? (Gastric emptying study) and any idea on what’s it like and what it means for my sleeve surgery? Please help if you can :)

Prepare for the nuclear marshmallow test!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

24 minutes ago, Apple203 said:

Prepare for the nuclear marshmallow test!

Is that all it is? Did you have one?

That's what they did for my son when they thought he had gastroparesis. He had to eat nuclear marshmallows and he was scanned.

I had never heard of that kind of thing until I watched the video from Mercy Bariatrics in Perth Australia. Apparently,they. do something similar with barium and marshmallows, they also have a test called the rice cream swallow, all different paths with but one goal, to see what's going on with your gastrointestinal system. Is what you're exhibiting called gastroparesis? There was someone else on here talking about that, might have something to do with slow stomach emptying? Oh you learn about so many interesting things on Bariatric Pal, I am glad I joined this happy group.![emoji14][emoji14][emoji14]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey everyone!
I just had an EGD done with my surgeon and he said my stomach was full of food. The last thing I ate was at 11:45 last night and they said not to eat after 12am. The egd was at 7 something am!
Have any of y’all ever had to take this step? (Gastric emptying study) and any idea on what’s it like and what it means for my sleeve surgery? Please help if you can [emoji4]

Hi. I had the test done with a nuclear egg( not a fan) you get an image of the food in your stomach to the intestinal track every hour. If after Four hours & the food is still in the stomach they consider you to have gastroparesis or some type of slow gastric emptying. From what I’ve read about Gastric sleeve it seems to actually help the problem I read articles on it if you Google it you may read about the advantages. Hope all goes well for you.

1 hour ago, jenpa said:

Hi. I had the test done with a nuclear egg( not a fan) you get an image of the food in your stomach to the intestinal track every hour. If after Four hours & the food is still in the stomach they consider you to have gastroparesis or some type of slow gastric emptying. From what I’ve read about Gastric sleeve it seems to actually help the problem I read articles on it if you Google it you may read about the advantages. Hope all goes well for you.

Thank you so much! I’ve been so worried that it may cause a delay in me getting the surgery. I will go read the articles right now. Thanks again! :)

@Astarisborn: did you have gastroparesis? did you still get the sleeve? did the sleeve fix the problem?

15 minutes ago, Jendkopp said:

@Astarisborn: did you have gastroparesis? did you still get the sleeve? did the sleeve fix the problem?

No, at the study they found that I didn’t have gastroparesis. The surgeon did say that if I did, the sleeve would’ve fixed it.

I too just had this gastric emptying test, back in July. No biggie at all. Eat a bit of egg, laced with isotopes and toast. They view progress every 30min (I believe). The hardest part was eating the egg!

I remember an 50-60s movie called Texas Across the River, reminded me when I saw your location. Remember it had Ricky Nelson in it, I was his fan, most of my friends were Elvis and Roy Orbison groupies. I always thought Roy was rather ugly but I will give him this, the Man could Sing very nice.🎶🎤🎶

Roy Orbison! Fellow Texan! Died way too young!