Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone here about 4 years post op Sleeve?

10 hours ago, QuincyW said:

Yes I feel that my friend it can happen,

I have recently ( a1 month) been getting to my old little gym at least 4 x's per week, and tomorow my plan is to pick up a case of the choc Protein Drinks t costco which r 20 gr of Protein each and drink at least 2 a day. The weather has been horrible so u can't even enjoy a walk in the sun which is very uplifting.

No doubt there are many hormonal factors involved as well

Thanks Quincy. Yes, workouts are integral. However being pre- menopausal leaves me drained constantly - not like the old me at all. And yes, the Protein also is huge!

Thank you for the gentle reminders 😊

48 here, sleeved in late 2013. Had my last period last year so I get the whole menopause thing.

BUT.... my personal experience (and all it is is that) is that the more carbs I eat, be they added sugar, bread, pasta... heck even fruit and yogurt... the hungrier I am. And yup, for sweets! New research is showing that we cultivate certain types of bacteria in our gut and when we crave sugar it’s to feed the type of bacteria that crave it. It you starve them out you are much better off! Though trial and error I have found my limits where I can get Fiber and such into my diet (some berries, half an apple, whole grain cereal) and Calcium (Greek yogurt w no sugar... I have parathyroid issues so Calcium is big for me)... without triggering the appetite/cravings.

Also yeah exercise is key... and I get the energy thing... but there I will say again, for me personally, if I get out there and push past the “tired” next time I am less tired. Takes about a month consistently (I’ve had to come back after injuries laid me up) for the “let’s go” to outweigh the “tired.” I’m a runner (love saying that cuz I was NEVER an athlete pre op) and I run 25-30 miles most weeks. Some days I want to run, other days I’m dragging but so it anyway. And the draggy fades away after I get into it.

So... yeah some docs will do a re-sleeve where they make it tighter. Conversion to bypass is an option with most as well. BUT really all it will do is give you that “honeymoon” window again. Which isn’t to say that’s a bad thing, but it won’t last either. It might give you an opportunity to make changes though.

What do you eat now?

On 3/17/2018 at 3:38 PM, justlee said:

Hi there;

My name is Lee. 53 year old female in Charlotte NC. I had the sleeve about 4 years ago. I weighed 250 at 5'4. The lowest I got was 190. Now, i think perhaps menopause is setting in, and I am eating everything in sight!

I have not gained much actual weight back, (I am 205), but I am gaining inches. All my clothes are sooooo tight. I am miserable. I am going for a bariatric consult next month. I dont know if the Sleeve can revised (upgraded), or if perhaps I should consider the gastric bypass. ??

Any thoughts in any direction? Much appreciated!

Love and Light,

Lee

FullSizeRender (1) (1).jpg

Hi Lee,

I'm 49 and almost 4 years out. I love being this age an no more periods to worry about.

Just a few options to think about or try.

Menopause and women having their period struggle. Hormones, Water weight and cravings. Uggg the joy's of being female. I took the same route as @jess9395 I workout. Let the hot flashes work for you by walking or elliptical. Menopause will give you double the sweat. Getting in physical activity pays off mentally and physically as you go through the change.

It is a bit harder to lose weight/maintain with the sleeve years out. Just know it can be done.

The vet's have been talking about the sleeve holding more food after a year. I miss the tighter restriction. I can easily get in more calories. Honestly, My weight gains have been from me being complacent, eating more calories, carbs and sugar. I have to monitor/log and get back into the discipline and motivation that I had in the beginning to get the weight back off.

Revision is an option.

Question to the bypass patients. Years out can you regain by eating carbs, sweets and extra calories?

What ever you choose,I hope you find what will work long term

Hi there;
My name is Lee. 53 year old female in Charlotte NC. I had the sleeve about 4 years ago. I weighed 250 at 5'4. The lowest I got was 190. Now, i think perhaps menopause is setting in, and I am eating everything in sight!
I have not gained much actual weight back, (I am 205), but I am gaining inches. All my clothes are sooooo tight. I am miserable. I am going for a bariatric consult next month. I dont know if the Sleeve can revised (upgraded), or if perhaps I should consider the gastric bypass. ??
Any thoughts in any direction? Much appreciated!
Love and Light,
Lee
[mention=194772]jess9395[/mention] I workout. Let the hot flashes work for you by walking or elliptical. Menopause will give you double the sweat. Getting in physical activity pays off mentally and physically as you go through the change.
It is a bit harder to lose weight/maintain with the sleeve years out. Just know it can be done.
The vet's have been talking about the sleeve holding more food after a year. I miss the tighter restriction. I can easily get in more calories. Honestly, My weight gains have been from me being complacent, eating more calories, carbs and sugar. I have to monitor/log and get back into the discipline and motivation that I had in the beginning to get the weight back off.
Revision is an option.
Question to the bypass patients. Years out can you regain by eating carbs, sweets and extra calories?
What ever you choose,I hope you find what will work long term

@jenn1 I think you meant this for@justlee not me! I was replying to her.

But... if you do a search here or even on google, yes you can definitely regain years out as a bypass patient! If you eat all day long, drink your calories, eat sliders or high calorie foods and sweets... it’s quite easy to “eat around” a bypass just like a sleeve.

45 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

@jenn1 I think you meant this for@justlee not me! I was replying to her.

But... if you do a search here or even on google, yes you can definitely regain years out as a bypass patient! If you eat all day long, drink your calories, eat sliders or high calorie foods and sweets... it’s quite easy to “eat around” a bypass just like a sleeve.

Lol It went to @justlee she is quoted.

I mentioned you in the post and it linked to you. I said "I took the same route as @jess9395 I workout"

Huh OK, the quote feature was fritzing... I saw just this-IMG_6620.JPG

46 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

Huh OK, the quote feature was fritzing... I saw just this-IMG_6620.JPG

oh dang..lol looks fine on the computer. I will check the phone app.