Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm Charlie and I am new here. I am interested in weight loss surgery after struggling with my weight for around 10 years, I have managed to lose weight but never to my ideal weight and then just end up gaining weight again. It also seems like whenever I get into things like exercising, something else comes up (I break a bone, stuck in hospital due to gallbladder being infected etc). I have told my doctor and she is really supportive but, as she has only become my GP recently due to moving for university she has to look over my notes before deciding to refer me. Fingers crossed! I know these things take time, but I wanted to ask how those who had surgery or are in the pre-op stage coped/are coping with work? Are your employers understanding? I am really worried my university won't understand, I am in my second year and I work really hard, I even hurt my stitches trying to study the day after I have my gallbladder out.

Edited by CharlieFen

Charlie--- I'm no longer working but when I first started this journey I was, I worked for a Big Box store. Not very inderstanding, when I tried to explain bariatric surgery to my immediate supervisor, her answer was "Why would you want to do THAT at your age?" The same place that when coworker was rushed to local hospital with chest pains, called them at the hospital and asked "well will she be able to come into work tomorrow?" and also told another coworker who also was a close friend " would you mind coming in as soon as you get through vomiting?". I miss my former customers, I miss my coworkers, I do not miss the supervisors who put their own and the company's self interests first.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Charlie--- I'm no longer working but when I first started this journey I was, I worked for a Big Box store. Not very inderstanding, when I tried to explain bariatric surgery to my immediate supervisor, her answer was "Why would you want to do THAT at your age?" The same place that when coworker was rushed to local hospital with chest pains, called them at the hospital and asked "well will she be able to come into work tomorrow?" and also told another coworker who also was a close friend " would you mind coming in as soon as you get through vomiting?". I miss my former customers, I miss my coworkers, I do not miss the supervisors who put their own and the company's self interests first.

That’s awful and disgusting behaviour from them! I’m glad you managed to get away from them! I’m worried my university won’t take that as a good enough excuse, maybe they will kick me off of the course or just make me feel terrible about it (I struggle with anxiety). But they get paid either way, I’ll still be doing all my work, but I worry they will just puts all of us students into one category - lazy and doing anything for a day off. But maybe they will surprise me, I was terrified of asking my GP about surgery as I thought it would be seen as lazy and that I’m too young to make this decision (I’m 20) and she surprised me. I hope your journey is going well btw!

Charlie Fen I'm still fighting at the other end of the age continium. I am 72, went completely through one Bariatric Hospital's courses and prerequirements then got kicked to the curb. The 3 surgeons had a commitee meeting and decided not to perform my surgery. The other excuse I was given, not true. I have been eligible for MENSA every since it was formed back in this country's DarkAges, although I am high functioning Aspie I am also level-headed and fully understand everything about the process and what it entails. If you can read between the lines you can deduce the insult that was given me. I have enrolled in another program at OSU-Wexner Medical Center in Columbus Ohio. Oh-- I thoroughly researched these 2 surgeons, both professors as well as Bariatric Surgeons. One has done 70 year olds, his young female associate has done 68 year olds. If they grant me the chance I'm sure I can convince them I am healthy enough, worthy enough, and committed enough to make this a success.You're worried about being profiled, well so am I! In the meantime I try to be the Bariatric Godmother to all I can.I've had a lot of life experiences so can relate to almost everybody on here. Keep your chin up Kid, you're going to do fine with this all!

I don't know your Uni's rules but there must be a student advocate office or something to act as a buffer, and your GP can provide a legitimate medical reason if you need time to heal (and you might). You might also be able to schedule surgery between quarter breaks, something to consider at least.

Be proactive with professors, you do not need to tell exactly what type of surgery you are having, just say a surgery that might involve some recuperation. Then try to be ahead of the assignments and reports and tests, ask if a test can be proctored at another time if needed but within allowed credit for class. Can you skype into a lecture from home, etc? Pair up with another student, etc? Be creative with solutions.

On 3/13/2018 at 7:50 PM, CharlieFen said:

I am really worried my university won't understand,

It's been my experience that the main obstacles in higher education isn't the University itself it's the individual professors. The higher up you go in your studies (under grad to grad) it seems the professors become more and more difficult to work with. It will take time for your surgery date to become a reality. In the meantime plan it out as best as you can. I'm sure that you can have the surgery during one of the numerous breaks that university life affords. Once that hurdle is jumped you can prepare for the daily planning of your meals, liquids and Vitamins. It isn't insurmountable as long as you plan ahead. Good Luck.

8 minutes ago, Danny Paul said:

It's been my experience that the main obstacles in higher education isn't the University itself it's the individual professors. The higher up you go in your studies (under grad to grad) it seems the professors become more and more difficult to work with. It will take time for your surgery date to become a reality. In the meantime plan it out as best as you can. I'm sure that you can have the surgery during one of the numerous breaks that university life affords. Once that hurdle is jumped you can prepare for the daily planning of your meals, liquids and Vitamins. It isn't insurmountable as long as you plan ahead. Good Luck.

But you don't get to choose with the NHS when you have surgery, they give you a date pretty much at random, as they are the ones funding it. But I have made the support staff aware that this is something I want to do and my GP has sent out the referral form, so now just to wait and see if I get approved.

I hope all goes well and good luck.