Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass after Lap Band

So I got banded about 3 years ago and have not had good results. To be honest I gave up on it when I was feeling uncomfortable and it wasn’t working. I would feel full, but not the same full as before. It was more of just a build up of food. And then even though I was full, I was still STARVING. It just didn’t work for me. My starting weight before surgery was 450. I initially lost about 80, but now I’m back up to 400. I have a friend who got the gastric bypass and she said it was the best decision of her life. I need to lose weight and I have been dieting already, but the results aren’t showing. I’ve started discussing getting the revision from the lap band to gastric bypass surgery with my primary doctor, but she didn’t have much information for me.

Has anyone had the revision done? Are there greater risks with having a revision? Or is it just the same as getting the surgery by itself?

I had my lapband done in 2010 and revised on 8/2017 and GBP on 1/10/2018. One surgery doesn't have much to do with the other, other than they're both wls's,. Once the band is removed your stomache pretty much goes back to normal and my surgeon just had me wait a few months for my revision. I honestly had little success with the band, however I honestly felt more restriction with the band than this gastric. But vomiting at every other meal for 7 years was no fun and then sometimes I could eat a hog with no restrictions so needless to say I had to have it removed and try something new. The malabsortion factors are the main reasons for me getting GBP, not so much weight loss. I have diabetes and trying to reverse it. Considering the amount of weight you have to lose, you would most likely have great success. I think my weight loss is slower because I don't have much to loss to be at a normal BMI. I have lost 20 pounds since my preop weight on 12/27/2018.

On 3/1/2018 at 8:51 AM, jiggyiggy120 said:

So I got banded about 3 years ago and have not had good results. To be honest I gave up on it when I was feeling uncomfortable and it wasn’t working. I would feel full, but not the same full as before. It was more of just a build up of food. And then even though I was full, I was still STARVING. It just didn’t work for me. My starting weight before surgery was 450. I initially lost about 80, but now I’m back up to 400. I have a friend who got the gastric bypass and she said it was the best decision of her life. I need to lose weight and I have been dieting already, but the results aren’t showing. I’ve started discussing getting the revision from the lap band to gastric bypass surgery with my primary doctor, but she didn’t have much information for me.

Has anyone had the revision done? Are there greater risks with having a revision? Or is it just the same as getting the surgery by itself?

me, I did the removal/revision in one procedure. Mine was smooth sailing in and out in 90 minutes. My doctor has done hundreds of revisions. you want a doctor with experience, because some people end up with adhesions between the band and their organs and you want a doctor who has seen it and and knows how to deal with it. you don't want to be the first. . Yes there are greater risks with a revision depending on how much damage the band has done. the sooner you get it out, the better.

Had a revision to sleeve back in 9/2016, all in one surgery, had lapband for 5 years with terrible issues, slippage which put me in hospital a few times, then they would have to deflate completely and I would have to go months with nothing (of course gain weight)and start whole process over again. Best thing I did was have reversal. Good luck