Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My nurse made me feel like a failure and a PIG

I have been really struggling with this for about a week or so now. I went to the Dr. for my follow up (I had to go a week later cause he was out of town) so it had been 3 weeks since I have seen them. Well I had gained 2 lbs. and the nurse was just SHOCKED! She asked me what I had been eating, if I was excercising, how much Protein and such.

I told her that I am alot more hungry than I thought I would be. Then she was saying "is it head hunger or real hunger" (I think I know when I am hungry and my stomach is growling and I am a bear with a sore toe) I told her I had an omlet for Breakfast, she was so surprised when I told her I ate 3/4 of a 2 egg omlet!! So after her response of just pure (I can't believe you can eat that much) She told me to cut down my meals to a Protein shake at Breakfast, and one for lunch and then a SMALL dinner. She said I should not be using more than a small salad plate to put my food on.

So here is the thing, I havn't had a fill yet. (I go in on Tues.) I can still eat a good amount of food, what is wrong? I hope I havn't stretched out my stomach and ruined my chance of good weight loss.

I have been feeling so down about the way she reacted to me. I totally left there feeling like a failure. I thought this time before my first fill was suppose to be for healing, not loosing weight. But she acted the total opposite.

I would love some type of feedback. I am really worried I have messed things up with the amount of food I can take in.

Thanks

Well first of all, welcome to LBT!

While it sounds like you may be taking in too much food at a time, for weight loss, it is going to be very difficult during this time without proper restriction. Regardless, the nurse should be throttled! At the very least I would mention it to the Dr.

The suggestion of Protein shakes, if they are low cal, can help, the heaviness of the shake, and the Protein do work to make you feel full for a longer period of time. I found that I had to seriously drink my Water during "bandster hell" time, or I would overeat. It is risky stretching the stomach if you overeat for extended periods of time is how it was explained to me. So as hard as it is, it is time to just draw on every bit of willpower--or won't power--that you can find. It is hard, it is depressing at times, thinking that you can eat but can't at the same time. Find some very low cal items you can snack on when the urge hits, and change up your habits. The time you are in now, is when I began my walking---when I was to the point of standing in front of the fridge trying to find something---anything to EAT--I would get out of the house, and take a walk. It did two things, saved me from eating, and burned calories too!

Besides the eating issues, when you really think about it---2 pounds is such a small amount, it can be done by what clothes you were wearing---a difference in the scales---how much you drank before the appointment. 2 pounds is a negligable amount, and I believe the nurse overreacted, and that is too bad. As obese people we have had more of that than we ever needed---you should not have needed to hear it from her---so sorry you had to deal with her.

Good Luck, and just try really hard to keep your meals small, and more frequent if you have to have something, just don't stuff the pouch til you hurt.

Another good way to avoid eating when you shouldn't be is to come here and look through the before and after thread---what inspiration----makes you want to succeed, and is proof that you can. And when you are logged on looking at the before and after, you can holler at some of us for some support,and help---we have all been where you are....and survived!! You will too!!!

Hope your fill goes well!!!

Kat

I agree with Kat- it is very common for new bandsters to gain weight before first fill-just try to cut the meals down a bit-drink lots of Fluid if possible and when you get your fill hopefully you will have restriction- I just got my 1st fill and I have some restriction- I am not nearly as hungry as I was before my fill and I get full fairly fast- it is time to be patient-if possible- I know now I say this a couple of weeks ago I was you!! Don't worry-brush off what she said -what does she know about it??

I would make an appointment with a nutritionist that has experience working with lap band patients. The nurse was rude and unprofessional, not to mention she was outside of her area of expertise. You might want to share this experience with your surgeon so others don't have to deal with her rudeness. Hope your fill makes life easier,

Good heavens, what's wrong with your nurse? MANY people can eat quite a lot before their fills start. The band isn't even working yet, for the most part! Don't worry about it. You are hungry and there's not a lot that's going to change about that until you get good restriction. You are still sitting in Bandster Hell (that purgatory between surgery and restriction). Don't beat yourself up! Try to make the best choices you can. If you are hungry, fill yourself with filling but low cal stuff. Whereas I would have eaten 2-3 Lean Cuisines in a sitting pre-band, if I was having the insane munchies I would eat 4 Jello cups (10 cal each) or something like that....

Good heavens, what's wrong with your nurse? MANY people can eat quite a lot before their fills start. The band isn't even working yet, for the most part! Don't worry about it. You are hungry and there's not a lot that's going to change about that until you get good restriction. You are still sitting in Bandster Hell (that purgatory between surgery and restriction). Don't beat yourself up! Try to make the best choices you can. If you are hungry, fill yourself with filling but low cal stuff. Whereas I would have eaten 2-3 Lean Cuisines in a sitting pre-band, if I was having the insane munchies I would eat 4 Jello cups (10 cal each) or something like that....

Speaking of Jello, my nutritionist suggested I add powdered egg whites when I make a batch of sugar-free Jello to add Protein. This is for my post-op period but I think that's a great idea! I can fill up on Jello if it has a dab of sugar-free, fat-free Cool Whip on top. :hungry:

Hang in there. I am sad to hear that the nurse was so rude. 2 lbs give me a break I can do that with one meal. LOL The band is not doing what it is supposed to do yet so ofcourse you are hungry she should know and understand that and furthermore why would you have this surgery if you were able to stick to a strict DIET! Good luck and hang in there. We are here to support you anytime.

My doctor even told me to expect to gain some weight back after I go off of the liquid diet. He said after that I won't start losing a lot of weight until I get my fills. Don't worry about it, but I would say something to the Dr.:(

Thanks everyone for your supportive words. I should have come here in the first place instead of trying to deal with it on my own. You guys have had some great ideas and wonderful things to say.

thanks again

For those of you that struggle with how the medical staff treats you, here is some information.

I work at a hospital, patients pay our salary, customer/client satisfaction is one of the hot topics in the field. Next time you have trouble regarding how you are treated, please inform this person, you are a client, paying their salary and would to be treated as a person, not a number. You have every right to be assertive with those individuals...especially since they leave a bad taste in client's mouths...causing those of us that do treat clients special....to bear the pain.

Sharon/Memphis

I would tell your doctor about how the nurse treated you over such a minor thing. As she is representing his office in her actions.

I agree with Sdaviscs

customer/client satisfaction is one of the hot topics in the field. Next time you have trouble regarding how you are treated, please inform this person, you are a client, paying their salary and would to be treated as a person, not a number. You have every right to be assertive with those individuals...especially since they leave a bad taste in client's mouths...causing those of us that do treat clients special....to bear the pain.

And after all we go to the doctor for advice help and support in our problems and she didn't give any of that with her negative attitude over 2 lbs. I mean geeze a difference in outfits can cause you 2-3 pounds.

I would also question if the office staff that treated you so badly was really a "Nurse" at all. :omg: Most office staff are medical assistants not nurses and they do not have the background to be hounding you like this. I take it personally when a medical assistant tries to pass themselves off as a "nurse". Here in Cali, only and LVN or RN can legally use the term nurse! So what you may have experienced was a entirely uninformed individual expressing her opinion and not backed up with any education or science! I also would tell the MD, he needs to know how his office staff is treating his client who pay everyones salary! You know what they say about bad word spreading faster than good!

Take care,

an RN in California, just banded 10/26/2007:)

I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR HOW BADLY YOU WERE TREATED AND I TOTALLY AGREE WITH ALL THE COMMENTS MADE ON HERE REGARDING THE SO CALLED NURSE! SHE MAY WELL BE A QUALIFIED NURSE, AND I WOULD CHECK THAT OUT IF I WERE YOU, BUT SHE IS TOTALLY INSENSITIVE AND THEREFORE NOT QUALIFIED TO DEAL WITH BAND PATIENTS. I AM KIND OF WORRIED OF THAT ATTIDTUDE HAPPENING TO ME AS I SHOULD HAVE HAD MY FIRST FILL AT TEN WEEKS WHICH WAS TWO WEEKS LATE CO,S THE DOC WAS UNAVAILABLE THEN AND TWENTY FOUR HOURS BEFORE THE APPT IT WAS CANCELLED GRR!!!. I HAD BEEN VERY FOCUSED UP TIL THEN AN HAD MANAGED TO LOSE ABOUT 34LBS INCLUDING MY PRE OP DIET, HOWEVER BEING TOLD I HAD TO WAIT ANOTHER FOUR WEEKS JUST PUSHED ME OVER THE EDGE I WAS PRE MENSTRUAL AS WELL SO I JUST FELT SOO LET DOWN WAS PERHAPS A BIT UNRATIONAL BUT I JUST SORT OF LOST THE PLOT AFTER THAT AND THIS PAST WEEKEND HAVE BEEN SOOOO BAD. I ATE CRISPS AND chocolate, I DRANK WINE:speechlesI KNOW I NEED TO GET BACK ON TRACK AS I DON,T WANT TO RUIN MY WEIGHT LOSS OR HAVE THEM TELL ME OFF WHEN I DO GET TO SEE THE DOC (THOUGH IT WOULD BE EASIER TO GET AN AUDIENCE WITH THE POPE THAN SEE MY DOC...LOL) BUT IT,S TRUE THAT THIS BANDSTER HELL IS JUST THAT HELL AND IF WE COULD STICK TO DIETS WE WOULDN,T NEED THE SURGERY. SORRY TO RAMBLE BUT GLAD TO KNOW OTHERS ARE FEELING THE SAME WAY.

I am really sorry to read that. That nurse is a person who should be giving support to those patients who need it instead of beign rude to patients. I agree that you should mention the incident to your doctor.

One of the things you learn when you lose weight is how different people treat you, when in a restaurant, a bar, a hotel, when you're fat, people is not as nice. Now that I've seen the difference in that.... makes me so angry.

keep your head up!!