Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wine and Sleeve

Are you able to have an occasional glass of wine with Sleeve after a while ? With the band it was not recommended but I was able to have a small glass once in a while without a problem

According to my discharge directions "avoid alcohol (it's empty calories, and irritates the new stomach)". There are two phases to weight loss surgery - the weight loss phase and the maintenance phase. The weight loss phase is short - perhaps 2 years for sleeve patients. It is important to maximize your weight loss during the weight loss phase, so I recommend not drinking an occasional glass of wine during the first 2 years.

I was told I could by my surgeon and I’m 3 months out so at a party or function I would have a glass of red wine and sip! Not like before surgery where I could have loads!! Now the 1 glass is fine for me on special occasions

2 hours ago, Nanajoy said:

Are you able to have an occasional glass of wine with Sleeve after a while ? With the band it was not recommended but I was able to have a small glass once in a while without a problem

After a while, I had the occasional glass of wine. Test a glass before you go out in public to drink. You will want to know how it will affect you. Monitor the extra calories (see chart below)

Minor things for me. I developed a low tolerance level.(cheap date) ,My blood sugar drops. I wake up with swollen feet and I feel kinda crappy the next day.

wine-nutrition-facts-calorie-chart1.png

Yep, you sure can. You can also have the occasional glass of cola, but it, too, is not recommended.

I drink wine regularly. I certainly can't drink as much as I used to but a couple days a week I will have a couple glasses of wine. Drinking and eating at the same time is still tough for me so I don't really risk overeating due to bad decisions after wine and just monitor calories.

After a while, I had the occasional glass of wine. Test a glass before you go out in public to drink. You will want to know how it will affect you. Monitor the extra calories (see chart below)
Minor things for me. I developed a low tolerance level.(cheap date) ,My blood sugar drops. I wake up with swollen feet and I feel kinda crappy the next day.
wine-nutrition-facts-calorie-chart1.thumb.png.a35aea0767f19894a0d8299c0a644f77.png

So what you’re saying is... drink red lol got it! Love red wine [emoji173]️[emoji485] 🤪

Yep! Just try it at home the first time...it's likely to hit you REALLY fast and hard. Be careful not to make it a regular thing while you're still losing, and know that it can throw your maintenance plans straight out the window if it does become a regular thing later on!

I have been drinking the occasional glass of white wine (and very occasionally two) for a while now. But last night, I had red for maybe the second time and it did not go so well. I woke up in the middle of the night with congestion so bad that both my nostrils were entirely blocked. I stayed in the bathroom flushing with saline and blowing my nose for maybe half an hour. I eventually got back to sleep, but when I woke up, I was exhausted and not rested at all. I also had diarrhea.

My wife reminded me that the last time I'd had red wine, I also had trouble sleeping. So I Googled "red wine congestion diarrhea" and immediately got page after page of results on red wine intolerance/allergy. Apparently, the amount you weigh has a lot to do with the quantity of red wine that will affect you. And so, being about 40% smaller... you get the picture.

So I've given up beer and sparkling wine, most mixed cocktails, and now red wine. It's a good thing I like white wine. I don't have much else left. Not that drinking is that big a deal to me, but socially, it's nice to have an option.

Edited by etc. etc. etc.

Another thing I've found is that I really and truly have to separate drinking wine from eating. It can be a little uncomfortable to drink liquid too close to eating a meal. But if that liquid is alcohol, holy toledo that hurts.

Edited by etc. etc. etc.