Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey Friends,

I had RNY on 1/4/18. I had weeks of nausea before a barium swallow test revealed I had a stricture. When I went in to have it balloon dilated, they also found an ulcer. This greatly increased the risk of tearing during a dilation, and because I was already dehydrated, etc, they hospitalized me and started me on an IV and feeding tube. Now, my surgeon is giving me two options: Live with a feeding tube for at least 2 weeks, taking the coating medication for the ulcer, and hope the ulcer heals so we can try dilating it safely. OR Go in for revision surgery now. On one hand, the feeding tube is so uncomfortable, and I won't know if the ulcer is healing until they go in for a second endoscopy/dilation. If it still can't be dilated I'd be looking at revision surgery anyway. On the other hand, my first surgery was already very painful and a second might mean even more time off work. Ultimately, this is my decision, but I am really hoping someone out there might have went through something similar because google has failed me. Thanks!

Do you have heliobacter pylori? Were you tested for it either before or after surgery?

That's where I would start....what caused the ulcer?

If they haven't biopsied and checked for H. Pylori, that's what I would personally insist on. If you have an active infection of that bacteria you need to treat it and resolve it before you do anything else.

Edited by Creekimp13

I was just going to post on this. I think o have the same thing. I’m going to contact my doc in the am. I can’t even keep down Water now. I’m not vomiting, it just comes back up and is extremely uncomfortable!

I'm sorry Klopez002, it is definitely not pleasant. I would make your surgeon order a barium swallow test ASAP. That was how they found that nothing was really going down anymore, and not being able to tolerate liquids was the last straw for me. Basically, after finding the ulcer they decided to put me on a feeding tube for a few weeks. It goes in my nose and through my pouch, bypassing the ulcer so it can heal without being irritated. As much as I hate this feeding tube, finally getting nutrition has made me feel a lot better. I have another week and a half with this feeding tube (not eating or drinking otherwise), then they will go back in and try to dilate the stricture again. I'm really hoping the ulcer is healed by then, because the next option is revision surgery. I am so ready to be feeling better. Has anybody gone through something similar to this? My surgeon made it sound like it as a somewhat rare combination of complications.

I've had surgery twice to correct strictures/hernia and have had issues with ulcers. I'm now on my third bout of extreme pain with another possibility of surgery in the near future. These are NOT rare complications, the doctors only say they are. In 2012 I almost died because every doctor I saw said I was just wanting drugs because scar tissue (strictures) don't always show up on any imaging tests. The surgeon I saw humored me with same day surgery because he happened to have a cancellation and afterward he told me I wouldn't have lived the 2 weeks to his next open appt. At my last surgery the dr told me that I would most likely need the same surgery every couple years because every time you have abdominal surgery your chances for strictures increase exponentially. I'm hoping for revision surgery for candy cane syndrome which is supposed to fix the issues I have once and for all...hopefully it's not just wishful thinking. I have the worst luck with doctors taking me seriously.

This is so scary to me! Im going in for my fist consult march 28th. I have severe acid reflux and always have to take otc zantac, like twice a day. Did yall have acid indigestion prior to surgery?

Sent from my LGMP450 using BariatricPal mobile app

No I didn't have any issues other than my weight prior to surgery. Don't be afraid, just ask at your appointment about anything you're worried about. I don't regret my surgery, just my choices in doctors.