Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m have my sleeve done on Feb 20th tomorrow. What should I expect?

Everyone is very different. For me I had a hard time just being awake for the days I was in the hospital. The anaesthesia really hit me hard. I also struggled with my breathing afterward while I was asleep. I woke up every half hour or so because it was beeping that I had stopped breathing. I felt generally good in the hospital when I was awake. But getting in and out of bed was a struggle the first 10 times or so. The first time was the scariest for me. Also nausea really kicked my ass like constantly but you have to remember to breathe. It really helps. Long slow breaths. After I left the hospital recovery went great for me but I know my coworker struggled with nausea for quite a while.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome Kevin-- you share a surgery date with oodles of people-- both sleeve and RnY. Chief among them is Fluffy Chix, go and read her Out with the Old In With the New postings, she ,is a total hoot. What to expect tomorrow. Well it is the first day of the rest of your life. You Will leave the,operating room different than when you enter. You will wake up in the recovery room after your anesthesia sleep, you may be nauseous, you may not. There will be techs and nurses hurrying around but they're all be watching over you also. How will you feel? A little fuzzy and foggy. How will your tummy feel? That like each person varies. Range from feeling bloated , like you've been stabbed repeatedly which i guess you have been, done too,many situps and feels very tired. I'm holding out for my friend Tammy's assessment. She said it wasn't as bad as being head-butted by her 5 year old son. Rotten kid. thought he was a Billy goat. When you get back to your room, they will have you up and walking as soon as you are able. Not being mean, it lessens the chance of developing blood clots, helps you get rid of the gas they blew you up with and lastly keeps you from lying there feeling sorry for yourself. Up and at 'em Adam Ant.

Some places start you out on Clear Liquids, some just give you Water. You won't be able to swallow much at a time, you are pretty swollen inside and surgically wounded. You are drier than Death Valley but you still have an IV in and probably will until you can take enough in by mouth. A lot of people use Biotene and say it helps with the Dry Mouth. I want to take that and GasX strips if I can find them. I'm gassy now so imagine what I'll be like later. The general consensus---walk walk walk sip sip i would add smile smile smiles The nurses are going to be more receptive to answering lights, doing things to help you etc if you act relatively pleasant. Sure they are professionals but they first are human, if you act like a rotten spoiled brat you'll get talked about in the break room. And it won't be flattering, I'm not a nurse but i spent about 20 years as a STNA and I know from experience that goes on. So back on your feet, get your exercise, keep your Fluid levels up, each day you'll be stronger than the day before. Sure there will be blips in the road but that is all they are. Soon you'll be thinner, healhier and ready to live a long happy lifespan. And isn't that what we all want? Love and Prayers and a hug too.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I was sleeved 4 weeks ago tomorrow. Pretty much everything you've read above. My anesthesiology team put an anti nausea patch behind my ear prior to surgery and I had no nausea problems. You'll wake up groggy, as you'd expect. The first day I stayed pretty drowsy and just drifted in and out of sleep, hitting my pain button when necessary. I didn't have fluids most of the first day, but was on IVs so didn't get dehydrated. Once you can, you'll want to get up and walk, to help break up the gas if nothing else. I had ice chips until my leak test. The nurses woke me every 4 hours for vitals, but I didn't mind. They were really sweet. I was lucky - no nausea and the pain was not horrible (aka well-managed). I even managed to avoid the evil catheter.

You're going to do great! Don't worry!

You will do great! I was sleeved on the 14th. I’m not going to lie- the gas pains and nausea were brutal and the first 24 hours was pretty rough. I was so nauseated and kept throwing up from the anesthesia but since I hadn’t eaten solid food in days it meant they were dry heaves with a little saliva/blood. Hurt terribly and I definitely had the “omg what have I done to myself moment” about 8 hours post surgery. Haha. BUT. it really isn’t that bad and each day gets easier and better. I went back to work today (desk job) and I’m doing things as usual (without any heavy lifting or housework obviously) and I’m eating A LOT less. Haha. You will he surprised how quickly you recover and bounce back. I was a nervous wreck the day of my surgery but I am so happy it is behind me now. You will do great. The pain is temporary and other than the gas pain/nausea the first 24 hours my actual incisions haven’t really bothered me at all. I don’t even need my pain meds anymore and have just taken them at night to help me sleep the last 2 nights. Good luck!! Get ready for a new you!!

Wow, all of your posts are so comforting!!! I’m starting to panic as the 28th is quickly approaching. But these posts have made me both laugh (kakalady) and feel so much better. Many thanks!! [emoji9]

Glad you enjoyed,my post. I'm all over Bariatric Pal so I turn up more often than a bad penny. After many years of being a wet soggy doormat for my family and the world I have developed late stage spunkiness. I try to tell the truth with a touch,of humor. Ain't an one of us gonna get out of life alive, we are all travellers on the road of life., so might as well share the journey.Don't panic about your surgery approaching, it's just a day you'll be committing to a new and improved way of life. I look forward to my own, I might even say I get a little excited. Think it will be next month but,I'll know for certain by the end of this day. Hope we can all help you,on your journies also.

Glad you enjoyed,my post. I'm all over Bariatric Pal so I turn up more often than a bad penny. After many years of being a wet soggy doormat for my family and the world I have developed late stage spunkiness. I try to tell the truth with a touch,of humor. Ain't an one of us gonna get out of life alive, we are all travellers on the road of life., so might as well share the journey.Don't panic about your surgery approaching, it's just a day you'll be committing to a new and improved way of life. I look forward to my own, I might even say I get a little excited. Think it will be next month but,I'll know for certain by the end of this day. Hope we can all help you,on your journies also.

You have such a great sense of humor. I love all your posts. Let us know what happens today! [emoji2]