Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression and feelings of giving up

Yesterday was my 6 month post vsg day. I had decided to not weigh myself for the month of Feb...just the 14th since it marks my 6 month since surgery day. Well during these past 2 weeks I have not strayed from the plan an inch. Very low carb and max 600-1000 calories a day.. I wasn't so 'on plan' previous months so I assumed I would have a huge weight loss or at least the standard 2 pounds a week. I weighed in and I was the exact same weight as Jan 31st. This overwhelming feeling of hopelessness came over me and I just kept hopping on the scale over and over in disbelief. The whole day was a drag. Didn't want to do anything neglected my kids and my home left it in disarray..binged on pakzi donuts and cookies.. laid in bed and just said fu** it. See the thing is, I know this is trivial and I shouldn't be so destructive. I KNOW that it's irrational to act this way because of a stall or whatever it may be, but I can't control these feelings and this destructive behaviors. I cried yesterday and felt like the whole world was crashing down on me and it scares me how little is needed to throw me off track. I guess I really want some words of understanding, encouragement, or even a slap in the face to make me wake up. I just feel so depressed and out of control:(

Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

I can def relate. Are you able to go for counseling? Sometimes it just helps to talk. Or a support group. You are not alone. That’s for sure.

I've been there so many times. But remember, you CAN control your actions. Your brain is giving you faulty messages because you associate emotional pain with eating to feel better.

I was a binge eater for years, but it's not because I couldn't control myself. It's because I didn't want to control myself because it felt like I'd rather die than not eat. You can tell in a sentence like that the brain isn't acting normally. The great thing about this is, we can change it. The brain is elastic and creates new neural pathways all the time. We just need to take the first hard steps to IGNORE the urge to eat out of turn.

Check out more about this concept at http://brainoverbinge.com. The woman who started this was a binge eater too and this concept of just ignoring your urge to eat is totally life changing.

And don't worry--the scale will move! It's physically impossible to not lose fat at such a low calorie level. Just take it easy on yourself. :)

Edited by fruitandveggies

2 hours ago, soready17 said:

Yesterday was my 6 month post vsg day. I had decided to not weigh myself for the month of Feb...just the 14th since it marks my 6 month since surgery day. Well during these past 2 weeks I have not strayed from the plan an inch. Very low carb and max 600-1000 calories a day.. I wasn't so 'on plan' previous months so I assumed I would have a huge weight loss or at least the standard 2 pounds a week. I weighed in and I was the exact same weight as Jan 31st. This overwhelming feeling of hopelessness came over me and I just kept hopping on the scale over and over in disbelief. The whole day was a drag. Didn't want to do anything neglected my kids and my home left it in disarray..binged on pakzi donuts and cookies.. laid in bed and just said fu** it. See the thing is, I know this is trivial and I shouldn't be so destructive. I KNOW that it's irrational to act this way because of a stall or whatever it may be, but I can't control these feelings and this destructive behaviors. I cried yesterday and felt like the whole world was crashing down on me and it scares me how little is needed to throw me off track. I guess I really want some words of understanding, encouragement, or even a slap in the face to make me wake up. I just feel so depressed and out of control:(

Calm down! Relax! Half a cup of food every 3 hours no Water 15 minutes before eating until 30 minutes after. Meals should take about 15 minutes to eat to eat. Drink only water & a Protein Shake if you need to. No Snacks in between. Stay away from liquid calories. Eat only hearty non-liquid foods. Stick to the plan as best you can. Results have to come! Results at 6 months to a year are where you should see the most progress. A decision was made to do this so do your best to follow through with your commitment. You can’t give up early on & expect results down the road. It’ll just be another disappointment later. GET BACK ON HAT HORSE & RIDE ON! You’ve got this!

I'm at a stall too. I don't weigh myself but I know I'm at a stall because I don't wake up feeling lighter. I keep telling myself it will pass and hopefully it does soon! Between my stall and the new snapchat update I'm about to lose it! Hang in there!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Stuff happens. I am so sorry. I don’t see your progress on the side so I am hoping you do see a difference since 6 months ago, and especially one year ago. Are you somewhat smaller? Do you have somewhat better Portion Control due to vsg? If there is any progress, cling to that. You are better off now than before.

What I learned from reading other people’s progress is that those who lost weight never lost hope for long. We all lose hope for various reasons but we need to keep that temporary. We fall. We get back up. Also I learned that the people who upped their healthy calories and upped their movement were able to raise calories and STILL LOSE. That should give you hope. IF YOU DARE TO eat more (focusing on protein) an walk or work out more, you will be able to enjoy more calories. I didn’t believe this at first but it seems to be working for me. And I am only losing 1 lb a week at most. Also 7 mo out.

what I have learned, maybe it will also help you, is that empty carbs and sugar make you crave the same. When you crave sugar, eat fatty Protein, or fatty veggies (avocado, or a salad with olive oil and good vinegar / lemon juice). Eat almost anything except sweet tasting things. Add some fermented veggies to your day, and take a good quality probiotic. For my treat I use 85% dark chocolate. It’s chocolate dammit, but it isn’t candy. Buy your most favorite protein treats that have zero sweetness about them. Fried chicken? Sliced steak? Teriyaki tofu, whatever. KEEP THESE GOODIES IN THE HOUSE and reach for them instead of anything that tastes sweet. I hope that helps you get off the sugar cravings. I got off them and I am so glad.

And your kids are very forgiving if you gave them a day of benign neglect. Tell em you’re sorry, you needed a time out, and make it up to them with something physical you all will enjoy doing. Even a walk. The other day I got on one of their scooters like an idiot and we all had fun. I never would have done that 50 lbs ago but now I dare.

‘Hang in there, hon. You have this. We all have rough times. Don’t worry about huge regrets or fears for the future. Just do the best you can today to prevent cravings and make yourself feel some gratitude and tomorrow is another day.hugs.

I'm not sure why this thread was posted twice but I'd just like to say THANK YOU. I honestly had tears in my eyes reading through all of your kind words of encouragement. This community is so special and understanding. Thank you so much. Your words meant the world to me during that awful emotional time. It take me a lot of time to process my emotions which is why I just now responded....well that and life/home/children/spouse/work etc etc. I truly appreciate all the advice and will definetly read up on the brain over binge website. I'm still stalled nothing has changed. I've also given up on the no weigh February because It obviously sent me into an emotional tailspin after seeing no progress. Seeing my weight everyday will give me a realistic view on weight loss. Siiiigh