Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10cc instead of AP..I'm pissed!

Went for my post-op visit today and the doctor checked my chart and had to relate to me (after I questioned him) that they busted the last AP band during my surgery and had to put in a friggen OLD style band. I'm self-pay and I wanted the AP. He said "don't be upset, this one is easier to fill and it's a very good band". I wanted the AP band!!! No here I am...with a band I didn't want at $15,000. What is my recourse at this point?? Someone help me calm down here. I'm sober for a year and all I want to do is go get a martini.....*tears*....this always happens to me.

OMG hon!!! (((((HUG)))))

I dont know what to say I am speechless!! Did you specifically request the AP?Did you tell the surgeon how unhappy you are? What made you choose the AP over the old style 10cc one?

Oh holy moses, dont you dare go near that martini hon , I nursed my mum through end stage cirrosis and it just aint worth it........

I am thinking free fills for life here!!!! They must owe you something!!

Sending you huge cyber (((((hugs)))))

Nina xx

I really don't think that you should worry about it too much. There are plenty of very good surgeons who have really good reasons to stay with the VG band and many, many people on this board who have had fabulous results with it. Ask him or her why - maybe there is a good reason.

I really don't think that you should worry about it too much. There are plenty of very good surgeons who have really good reasons to stay with the VG band and many, many people on this board who have had fabulous results with it. Ask him or her why - maybe there is a good reason.

They were putting the AP in and the assistant didn't close the implement before attempting to pull out and popped the tube or something. Apparently they didn't have another one there. I was their second surgery of the day...how could you not have enough bands?

I appreciate your comment about the success of the 10cc band. It's just that I had my heart set on the AP and had done so much research on it.

I understand why you are upset. I really do and I myself was doubtful that my surgeon doesn't use the AP band at all but he is extremely well respected. I have had two fills, was banded in August and have lost over 30 lbs in less than 3 months. Don't let this disappointment sabotage the great success you are going to have! Remember the AP bands are still new in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> (except for trials) and although Allergan believes that there are some advantages I don't believe there are any studies (correct me if I am wrong) to support this. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I understand why you are upset. I really do and I myself was doubtful that my surgeon doesn't use the AP band at all but he is extremely well respected. I have had two fills, was banded in August and have lost over 30 lbs in less than 3 months. Don't let this disappointment sabotage the great success you are going to have! Remember the AP bands are still new in the ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:country-region w:st=<ST1:place w:st="on">US</ST1:place></st1:country-region> (except for trials) and although Allergan believes that there are some advantages I don't believe there are any studies (correct me if I am wrong) to support this. ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

Are you saying that you received the AP or the 10cc?

Hi Hon,

I dont think it will have any effect on the weightloss honest!! I have just been fitted with a 10cc band and I have already lost 9lb.

However I do think that you should schedule a consult with your doc and tell him how very unhappy you are about what happened, I suppose worse case senario he could have stopped the op and you would have come out bandless *gulp* but I still think you should have it out with him.

Its kind of like you order a toyota and they deliver the equivalent Ford, they both drive the same but it aint the one you wanted!!!

And stay away from the martini......I mean it * wagging finger*

((hug))

NIna xx

I have to say, I would really be pissed! And I do believe that the band that they put it is fine. My surgeon told me that any problems they had with it were rare, plus it was an improvement over the earlier band. But one of the reasons I chose my surgeon is that he does use the AP band. I felt like I wanted the latest improvements.

I don't know what they can do now, short of replacing it, which I'm sure you wouldn't want. But they should make some concession, in my view. Certainly, if there is ever a complication due to that particular band, they should fix it for free!

That said, I think you'll be fine with the band you have so don't let this sour you. Good luck!

*Hug*, not being banded myself yet I won't put in my info about which is better, etc, etc, but I do agree you most definitely did not get what you asked for/paid for. If you did specifically request to have such and such band and got something completely different I do think you should sit down with your surgeon and see if you can work something out. Perhaps as someone else suggested - free fill aftercare, perhaps a cash rebate of some kind who knows. Either way at least your surgery went well and you have the band in place. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and keep us posted as to what your surgeon says.

I have the 10cc VG band which I assume that is what you got?

All I know is that he said it's a 10cc that takes a 5cc fill. What's that about? It can hold 10cc but will only take 5? I did so much research on the other band. Oh here's the kicker! I have a recording on my cell phone where his secretary is telling me I will be receiving the AP band. How's that for proof. My husband put out this money from what little he got from his mom passing away recently. And now he's having to put up with my losing my mind (quietly but quite evidently). I just sent him to the docs office because doc hasn't returned our call yet. We'll see. I don't know what to expect now...

All I know is that he said it's a 10cc that takes a 5cc fill. What's that about? It can hold 10cc but will only take 5? I did so much research on the other band. Oh here's the kicker! I have a recording on my cell phone where his secretary is telling me I will be receiving the AP band. How's that for proof. My husband put out this money from what little he got from his mom passing away recently. And now he's having to put up with my losing my mind (quietly but quite evidently). I just sent him to the docs office because doc hasn't returned our call yet. We'll see. I don't know what to expect now...

According to Dr. Trace Curry, the new small AP band also holds 10 cc.

Here's a quote from him on his support board:

"Allergan/Inamed has a new band in the US called the AP band. It has not yet been released to the general public but I have put a number of these excellent bands in. There are a couple of differences in this band and the previous ones:

1. Cuff - the cuff on the AP band is 360 degrees around, as opposed to about 300 degrees on the prior bands (there was no cuff around the buckle on the old ones)

2. Cuff length - the cuff on the AP band is 18mm longer/taller than on the previous bands, so the surface area in contact with the stomach is much greater, hopefully increasing the speed of weight loss and maybe reducing the risk of slips

3. Cuff volume - the AP small holds 10cc, the AP large holds 14cc

Note that we do not believe that AP patients will lose MORE weight, just possibly faster. So those of you with the older models, it would definitely not be to your benefit to think about having your band swapped out!

Just thought you guys would like to know this!

Dr. C"

Trace W. Curry, M.D. :: View topic - New AP band

Wow. I would be hugely disappointed too AND FURIOUS. Just try to focus on recovering now and worry about the "what they owe you" part after you feel better. I'd just hate you to add stress to an already EXTREMELY stressful adjustment period. *hugs*

WOW! I am so sorry about this! I think definately you have an issue with the DR but you can work with your band. You can do it!

Focus right now on you, stress is not good for the band at all! NOR is it good for you! :car: You can do this! Good luck to you!