Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ESG surgery Looking for answers.

Hi Everyone! I am new on here and am going to get the ESG surgery. I actually had it scheduled for Monday ( 22nd) but cancelled due to worrying about it. Has anyone on here actually had this surgery? If so did you lose weight? How much weight can you lose with it? What is the realistic expectations I should have? I need to lose about 65 to 70 pounds to be back to my normal weight of 160. I would really appreciate any info on this procedure. Thanks Shelia

Check out this study: http://www.bariatricnews.net/?q=news/112706/one-year-results-lsg-vs-lgb-vs-esg

It's not a huge number of people studied, but it will give you some basic ideas about the success rate and some other factors.

Sheila, hi I had the ESG procedure November of last year, just before Thanksgiving. I'm early 50's and yo-yo dieted for the last 15 years, gradually gaining 10-20 pounds per year since my mid 40's. I chose ESG because I wanted a permanent change (not the balloons) and felt more comfortable with the endoscope procedure (no incisions) than a vertical gastric sleeve. ESG procedure went very smoothly, I was not in pain, did not get nausea and was up and about within a day or two following procedure. After the long weekend I went back to work on Monday and there were no complications.

I'm looking to lose about 80 pounds. As of late January I'm down 34 pounds and since the ESG it has totally changed my appetite and desire for food. I eat much less, don't have cravings and have eliminated most sugar from my diet (no processed foods, sweets, alcohol, etc.). Check some of my earlier posts for more details on diet, etc.

Let me know if you have more questions, on this forum we're always glad to help and share our experiences!

Tex

Hey Tex!

Thanks so much for the info. I have been looking on YouTube for bloggers who have had this procedure done and they are very few, but there are a lot of regular sleeve bloggers on there that show how they are making it work for them. I am not sure if the surgeries are comparable or not?

I called my doctor today and have now got ESG set up for March the 6th. I just hope I don't chicken out again.

I am a vegetarian and actually do eat pretty healthy, my problem is Portion Control and sweets. I LOVE SWEETS and it is my biggest downfall. It seems that I gained weight after I quit smoking over 6 years ago and when I hit menopause I just ballooned up quick.

Thanks so much for taking the time to replay and I will check out your other posts.

Thanks

Shelia

Sheila, no problem, glad to help. I was in the same place last year and this forum was really helpful for me to hear the experience that ESGers had with their procedure and following weight loss. Same problem for me last 6 years after I turned 45, just couldn't keep from gaining weight no matter what diet/exercise I did.

I get the sweet tooth thing, it sounds strange now I'm sure, but I just don't have those feelings in my stomach or head to desire to eat the really killer sweets/deserts. A lot of talk about the reduction in stomach size and change in hormone production related to hunger, I'm not an expert as to why I feel this way. I'm totally different now, pre ESG, chocolates, ice cream, way to rich cakes, bread pudding, bring it on!! Now not at all. This lack of "hunger/desire" for food has made it so much easier to cut my intake of calories and not be Portion Control challenged.

Keep asking questions we're glad to help, you will make a huge difference in your quality of life with the ESG procedure.