Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cure for skin/fat roll irritation?

All - not to share too much but while in hospital two nights the skin under my spare tire got seriously irritated. It's all red, angry and itchy. Doc's office has me watching to make sure it doesn't get worse, but in the meantime, does anyone have a miracle cure? Normally to prevent I dry carefully after showering and apply anti-chafe gel (monistat). Not sure what to do to get it back healthy tho! I'm pretty miserable. Incision pain is minimal but this itching is crazy! Almost tempted to take my pain meds (that I don't need for pain) to try to subdue the itching

When you are sitting or laying put a thin cloth under your belly. Skin to skin contact. I dont know about the chafing gel for that, because of it being irritated. I used cornstarch, make sure you are completely dry as it will cake and get nasty. But a makeup brush to apply? I would ask the dr. Maybe hydrocortisone cream?

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 217.6 (1/22/18)
RGW 199
GW 175

You might want to ask for a prescription of Nystatin powder. It works fast. It is all about keeping the area dry whether it be from bathing or sweat. I hope it clears up soon!

I second the nystatin...or try your monistat powder, it's common to get fungal infections in those dark moist areas. Hope you get some relief soon!

Hibiclens soap...like they give you to take a shower with before surgery. Give it a good scrub with a washcloth and let it sit there for five minutes. Then rinse well. Very important to rinse it all off. Dry thoroughly. (Ok to combine this with powders, ointments, etc.....but when you wash it use Hibiclens)

Chlorhexadine in Hibiclens is used as a presurgical scrub..it's wonderful for bacteria and yeast, in particular.

Most pharmacies and bigger chain stores with pharmacies will have Hibiclens.

Edited by Creekimp13

LOL, document the crap outta it. Take pics. Send them to your doc. Tell them hoooooooowwwww miserable you are. Then repeat as often as possible so that there's documentation down the line for skin removal surgery. :D Hope you feel better soon!

After it is clean and dry, I use Aquaphor. You can buy it at CVS, Target, lots of places. It feels like vaseline, but it protects your skin from moisture and stays better than powder. My doctor says, it's like you get diaper rash. Diaper cream works, but it's white and messy. This is clear but protective.

On 01/26/2018 at 13:08, Nessy76 said:

I second the nystatin...or try your monistat powder, it's common to get fungal infections in those dark moist areas. Hope you get some relief soon!

I originally used nystatin powder as well. But powder won’t do anything to heal the already irritated area. I used Lotrimin cream (prescription) because it soaks into your skin. Best used when you are going to get sweaty. The powder is only a preventative. Also! My doctor recommends jock itch spray. But the same active ingredient in that is the same in foot spray as well, Tinactin. They charge more for jock spray because men will pay more for spray used on their manhood. But buy the food spray and it’s a few dollars cheaper.