Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking...struggling to quit for surgery

Hi,

I’ve been on here a while but wasn’t ready to post. So, I’m close to finishing all the required pre-op testing in order for clearance for surgery. I am a smoker and for the obvious reasons I need to quit but also I can’t go through surgery if I have nicotine in my system.

Can anyone else relate?

Ps. Cold turkey. No go.

Patches. Allergic

Gum. Not working.

I quit smoking about 8 years ago after being a heavy smoker for 30 plus years. I did it using an ecig. It was the only thing that I tried that actually worked.

I was using very minimal nicotine anyway so about 2 weeks ago I went no nicotine. You may be able to try using one with zero nicotine in it. You will still have some withdrawals from not only the nicotine but the other nasty chemicals that are in cigs. But, this truly may be your best option to quit smoking.

Good luck and if I can help you further, just let me know.

3 hours ago, vanelifejourney said:

Hi,

I’ve been on here a while but wasn’t ready to post. So, I’m close to finishing all the required pre-op testing in order for clearance for surgery. I am a smoker and for the obvious reasons I need to quit but also I can’t go through surgery if I have nicotine in my system.

Can anyone else relate?

Ps. Cold turkey. No go.

Patches. Allergic

Gum. Not working.

Not a smoker so I can't relate. But it's really tough I've watched plenty of family and friends try to give it up. Some succeed some don't. What I did notice was the successful ones felt like the choice was theirs so they had a level of control over the process. They didn't feel backed into a corner by society. I'm no therapist but perhaps that's the place to start. And if there's still time perhaps other non patch pharma help . Or stair stepping down with ecigs as the above poster mentions.

Do you have time for something like that?

What is your surgery target month?

Edited by Tealael

I'm a smoker myself. To quit smoking, wasn't a requirement... I just couldn't have any cigarettes 24hrs prior to surgery per the doctor. I followed his instructions and didn't have a cig until I got home after my overnight stay in the hospital. When it comes to quitting, it all depends on you and your mentality (and of course what is required by your doctor tomorrow pursue your surgery). Smoking is a vise for me... something I go to when I'm bored, socializing, etc. The way I look at, the sleeve is a massive life changing tool on its own, mentally and physically. Fighting 2 mental urges (eating and smoking) is rough. I decided to tackle one thing at a time. If it helps, try thinking of the reasons WHY you want to quit and every time you have that urge, think of that reason.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Use a vape with no nicotine. I had to be nicotine free prior to surgery also, 60 days he said. I did it though because I wanted the surgery more than smoking. You can do it!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, Nagas1234 said:

I'm a smoker myself. To quit smoking, wasn't a requirement... I just couldn't have any cigarettes 24hrs prior to surgery per the doctor. I followed his instructions and didn't have a cig until I got home after my overnight stay in the hospital. When it comes to quitting, it all depends on you and your mentality (and of course what is required by your doctor tomorrow pursue your surgery). Smoking is a vise for me... something I go to when I'm bored, socializing, etc. The way I look at, the sleeve is a massive life changing tool on its own, mentally and physically. Fighting 2 mental urges (eating and smoking) is rough. I decided to tackle one thing at a time. If it helps, try thinking of the reasons WHY you want to quit and every time you have that urge, think of that reason.

I'm so not judging you for smoking but I just wanted to caution that I don't think this is the best advice and I'm shocked your surgeon allowed you to have the surgery while smoking regularly. Smoking greatly increases the risk of blood clot which is already a very elevated risk after this type of surgery. It can also impede healing due to damage to the blood vessels. I'm so glad you made it through just fine (and I definitely understand not wanting to fight two demons at once). Just worried that this is not the right advice for OP.

I’m worried about the complications that it may bring, also I want to get back into the gym as soon as im cleared to do so and I want to be able to breathe well. People say it a mental thing but it’s not it’s so much more.

I quit 3.5 years ago. Try Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking book and Chantix. The Chantix helps with the physical and the books helps with the psychological. Best of luck.

You can ask for Chantix. It helped me quit a few times. This last time I did it cold turkey and was able to do it because I knew I had to for the surgery and i wanted the surgery more than I wanted to smoke. I wouldn’t suggest smoking after the surgery is done either. Your wounds inside need to heal and smoking can increase the changes for infections, blood clots etc. so do yourself a favor and just quit and think about the positives of quitting. Saving lots of money, not smelling like an ashtray, having more energy, saving your life. The list goes on. Good luck!

I smoked, quit for 9 years then started again. Quit again 3 months (cold turkey) before surgery. Still miss it sometimes but I really don't fancy the health complications. I like the nicotine free vape idea. Maybe try and see how it goes?x

Hi,
Can anyone else relate?
Ps. Cold turkey. No go.
Patches. Allergic
Gum. Not working.

I can SO relate! I quit smoking October 24 and it’s been rough. The surgeon told me I had to be smoke-free 6-8 weeks prior to surgery and I was REALLY hoping to get in before the new year (didn’t happen). Anyway, I told myself in June that I would quit by Halloween. I started cutting out one cigarette a week...only having 1 or 2 on my lunch break instead of 3-4, only 1 on the commute instead of 2, etc. The last one I cut out was my morning smoke.

I also decided to do a practice quit the week before my final deadline so I had room to have one or two if I really needed it before my REAL quit date. But I must have been ready to quit because I never needed one. It isn’t always easy, but I can breath so much better already!! Good luck with quitting!

Nicotine is a harsh mistress. I love it, but won't touch it now.

Active and historical tobacco use has been shown to increase risk of mortality, 30-day morbidity, venous thromboembolism (VTE), respiratory and pulmonary complications, marginal ulcers, and slowed wound healing among others after bariatric surgery.

People who smoke have a complication rate of over 27% and over 5% greater chance of failure to wean off the ventilator over 48 hours after surgery. Pneumonia rates are much higher, too.

Nicotine coats the inside of your mouth and throat. You will swallow it constantly, it will coat your internal wounds..and it can cause your incisions to leak and fail because it's extremely toxic and impedes healing.

Why we have such well developed nicotine reception...is anyone's guess...but it's a bad joke of evolution, because as wonderful as it makes us feel....the schit is deadly.

I, personally, would NEVER have bariatric surgery if I could not give up nicotine use completely. Too dangerous.

My two cents. Take what you like and pitch the rest. No judgement meant.

Nicotine is a harsh mistress. I love it, but won't touch it now.
Active and historical tobacco use has been shown to increase risk of mortality, 30-day morbidity, venous thromboembolism (VTE), respiratory and pulmonary complications, marginal ulcers, and slowed wound healing among others after bariatric surgery.
People who smoke have a complication rate of over 27% and over 5% greater chance of failure to wean off the ventilator over 48 hours after surgery. Pneumonia rates are much higher, too.
Nicotine coats the inside of your mouth and throat. You will swallow it constantly, it will coat your internal wounds..and it can cause your incisions to leak and fail because it's extremely toxic and impedes healing.
Why we have such well developed nicotine reception...is anyone's guess...but it's a bad joke of evolution, because as wonderful as it makes us feel....the schit is deadly.
I, personally, would NEVER have bariatric surgery if I could not give up nicotine use completely. Too dangerous.
My two cents. Take what you like and pitch the rest. No judgement meant.

Well said. I’ve talked to my pcp and we’re on plan B. I started Wellbutrin, it’s been helpful to those who have taken it and quit. Or so it’s been written online. I want to be healthy way more than I want to smoke and it’s because of these stats I won’t risk it. Nicotine has to go.

I'm with you. I have to be nicotine free for 3 months for my surgeon to do the surgery. My ins also requires I quit. Right now I'm on day 10 and I want to scream. I'm also trying not to eat in place of smoking because I've already started the supervised weight loss. It just plain sucks. I've tried Wellbutrin, Chantix, Patches, gum, etc. in the past. I'm going cold turkey this time.