Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you stop weight gain

Hi,
I’m 13 months post opp. My weight has been up and down lately and I gained nearly 10 pounds. How can I stop this from increasing? I haven’t done anything diet change wise so I’m not sure why this is happening and I’m starting to get worried
Should I go to the gym more? I already go 3/4 times a week.
Completely cut out carbs?
Any helpful ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
I was thinking about calling my doctor and asking him what to do, he’s a little mean so I’m trying to avoid telling him bad news at all cost

My surggeons office said its normal to see a ten to fifteen pound gain after goal.

I give myself a ten pound bounce range to maintain. When my weight goes up...I dial in my diet to get my weight loss mode to kick in. ...I up my exercise.

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

If you start tracking, this will give you some data and an opportunity to do some analysis to make the needed changes. That will help you get a handle on the problem. [emoji4]

Thank you yes that’s a great idea I will be starting tomorrow

My surggeons office said its normal to see a ten to fifteen pound gain after goal.

I give myself a ten pound bounce range to maintain. When my weight goes up...I dial in my diet to get my weight loss mode to kick in. ...I up my exercise.

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Aw thank you that makes me feel so much better but I didn’t even get to hit my goal yet that’s why I’m concerned, but I am over a year post opp so maybe that has something to do with it??

Are you drinking liquid calories? Do you stop drinking 30 min before meals & until 30 min after? Are you eating hearty solid foods with no sauces/liquids? Remember these things will flush your pouch out quickly allowing you to consume more. I would drink nothing but Water for a month & see what happens.

Are you drinking liquid calories? Do you stop drinking 30 min before meals & until 30 min after? Are you eating hearty solid foods with no sauces/liquids? Remember these things will flush your pouch out quickly allowing you to consume more. I would drink nothing but Water for a month & see what happens.

Thank you!! Besides Water and Protein Shakes, I do drink a smoothie a day. I will stop that and hopefully see some results, I haven’t done the eating and drinking thing I sip during my meal

Just want to chime in and say there's no possible way to gain 10 pounds of fat in 2 weeks at that calorie level. Remember, one pound of fat equals 3,500 calories. If you calculate your TDEE, you can see how much you burn just doing your regular activity. It's probably somewhere around 1,500-2,000 calories a day if you're 180 (depending on height). It's not physically possible to gain fat without a calorie surplus. It's against the laws of physics.

What is possible is Water retention. Just 400 mg of sodium is enough to make you retain TWO POUNDS of water. For reference, that's about the amount of sodium in one slice of bread. Not only that, water retention is very much affected by hormonal shifts, which include your cycle but also anything having to do with stress, not sleeping enough, new exercise routines, new medications, etc.

So certainly start tracking your food, you might find you're getting way more sodium than you thought. And if you can't get much water in, that imbalance is even worse. This might be happening to you now because you have an electrolyte imbalance after so long of eating so little. You need potassium to be in balance with your sodium levels or you will retain water as your cells are trying to protect themselves from damage.

So as much as you might get attitude from your doc, you should at least get checked out to make sure you're still healthy.

Edited by fruitandveggies

19 minutes ago, goldenbarbie said:

Thank you!! Besides Water and Protein Shakes, I do drink a smoothie a day. I will stop that and hopefully see some results, I haven’t done the eating and drinking thing I sip during my meal

I was told never to drink with meals.

F7C80B7C-CB06-42ED-B525-2C4F8DAB2C8A.jpeg

7A010D35-0932-4D28-A384-2EE8E66F0FD9.jpeg

My weight loss has slowed way down, I'm 13 month post op as well, and I will gain up to 5 pounds of Water weight during my cycle as well. I've been bouncing between 186-190 since October and haven't had an actual weight loss until last week when I lost a pound and am finally 185.

I agree that tracking your food is a great start. I sometimes don't realize how many extra calories I'm getting by taking a bite of this or a sip of that through out the day. Also having to few calories can impact your weight loss and cause your body to store fat so if you are not getting enough (my NUT said between 1200-1300 at 12 months post op for me but I'm 5'9") calories.

Finally watch the sodium because it can make you retain water and likely your weight can is more Fluid related than weight because it's hard to gain 10 pounds in a month. You would have to be packing in some serious calories.

If non of this works contact your doctor because there might be something else going on. Also have you started any new meds?

On 1/15/2018 at 10:40 PM, blizair09 said:

@goldenbarbie

as your weight diminishes, the number of calories

you need to maintain or lose diminishes as well...

@blizair09 - great answer!!

hope below analogy is right.

I am a controlled epileptic. Doc knew about

pending VSG. i had a very bad seizure after

loosing 75 lbs due to taking too high of med

dosage PO for my new smaller frame. meds

were continually lowered/adjusted til i lost

additional 30 lbs.(final weight loss 105 lbs

GOAL).) ps i don't blame dr. - as said earlier,

your calories need to be adjusted while you

are losing weight.

good luck

kathy

Ultimately it boils down to two choices.

Fewer calories in.

More calories out.

A little of both is a good strategy to stimulate progress.

That said, if your calories are too low...under 1000...upping your food to 1000 and adding exercise might be the best way to go since eating too little can send your body into starvation mode and cease weight loss.

Chances are changes have occurred in your diet that you aren't cognisant of, which is why the food tracking in my fitness pal or something like that is good. Also talk to your doctors office.

And finally, go back to your stage 3 post surgical diet protocol. That's my strongest suggestion. Oh, and rather than going to the gym extra, just go for an extra 10 minute walk each day. That will be 70 minutes a week and it is a huge add on.

Could you be PG? :D