Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EIGHT DAYS after after Lap RNY...surgical glue falling off?!!!!

Hi everyone,

Just had surgery on the evening of December 29. My surgeon did a laparoscopic RNY and instead of stitches, he used surgical glue.

They have been itching a bit and looking 'dry' but was just touching the one on my bellybutton lightly because it was itching in that area and the glue CRUMBLED and collapsed.

I've had a history of MRSA from surgical wounds, two c-sections that turned into a NIGHTMARE. Any advice? I feel really like I shouldn't have touched it at all, and now very dumb!!

I will call my surgeon on Monday. In the meantime, not sure what to do. I was concerned about scarring and infection, but my surgeon said just to take a shower once a day and lightly wash without scrubbing or rubbing the incisions. I haven't. This was my first flub.

Anyone else experience this? Advice? Thanks!

Hi everyone,
Just had surgery on the evening of December 29. My surgeon did a laparoscopic RNY and instead of stitches, he used surgical glue.

They have been itching a bit and looking 'dry' but was just touching the one on my bellybutton lightly because it was itching in that area and the glue CRUMBLED and collapsed.

I've had a history of MRSA from surgical wounds, two c-sections that turned into a NIGHTMARE. Any advice? I feel really like I shouldn't have touched it at all, and now very dumb!!

I will call my surgeon on Monday. In the meantime, not sure what to do. I was concerned about scarring and infection, but my surgeon said just to take a shower once a day and lightly wash without scrubbing or rubbing the incisions. I haven't. This was my first flub.

Anyone else experience this? Advice? Thanks!

I peeled off all of my glue at about 5 days post op bc I was having an allergic reaction to it. At my 1 week post op appointment, my surgeon said it was fine bc she was going to take it off at that appointment anyway. I don’t advise that you do this, but if it’s coming off on its own, it’s probably fine.

Lap band 10/2007 revised to RNY 12/22/2017
HW 270
SW 263
CW 251

Surgical glue is meant to stay on 5-10 days. You should be ok.

Mine is still on after 17 days, I’ve been terrified to take it off for fear of take a incision scab along with it. My surgeon said in my post op on Friday that it’s time to scrub it off and probably could have been removed much earlier.

Thank you all!!!!

My surgeon used glue as well. Some came off after 10 days and I had one incision the glue stayed on for two weeks. You’ll be ok, just observe for infection with your history of MRSA.

5 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

My surgeon used glue as well. Some came off after 10 days and I had one incision the glue stayed on for two weeks. You’ll be ok, just observe for infection with your history of MRSA.

Thank you, Kim. How are you feeling? Looks like you had your RNY recently as well! I am very concerned about infection due to my history...so far the incisions are bruised looking but nothing red, no pus, no severe pain around the incisions area. They sure do itch sometimes, though!

On 1/7/2018 at 8:09 PM, NatureLover888 said:

Thank you, Kim. How are you feeling? Looks like you had your RNY recently as well! I am very concerned about infection due to my history...so far the incisions are bruised looking but nothing red, no pus, no severe pain around the incisions area. They sure do itch sometimes, though!

My surgery was on 12/2/17, so over a month out for me. I am doing very well, thank you for asking! I have followed my surgeon’s diet progression to the letter for the most part and I have tolerated all foods so far which is great. I do have struggles meeting hydration goals and I did develop a bit of an aversion to the Protein Shakes so I get around 50-60 grams of Protein on good days.

It is so much better now than 3 or 4 weeks ago so hang in there!