Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I've gotten the word that insurance will cover the surgery. Now the question is sleeve or bypass? What are everyone's opinions?

With the sleeve, I won't lose the weight as quick as I would like but that's a plus for my skin (the less weight I lose quick the less chance I have saggy skin)

With the bypass, well I would lose the weight as quick as I would line but that's a negative for my skin. The nutrient part of the bypass scares me a bit as well but I wouldn't have a problem with Vitamin regimen for the rest of my life. Decisions decsions!

Thanks all

Well, I've gotten the word that insurance will cover the surgery. Now the question is sleeve or bypass? What are everyone's opinions?

With the sleeve, I won't lose the weight as quick as I would like but that's a plus for my skin (the less weight I lose quick the less chance I have saggy skin)
With the bypass, well I would lose the weight as quick as I would line but that's a negative for my skin. The nutrient part of the bypass scares me a bit as well but I wouldn't have a problem with Vitamin regimen for the rest of my life. Decisions decsions!

Thanks all

I hate to be a kill joy but I had a sleeve and I'm sagging like crazy. 60lbs in 4/5m

But it all depends on you what the best option is. Bypass scared me too I'm happy with the sleeve

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

3 minutes ago, dreamingsmall said:

I hate to be a kill joy but I had a sleeve and I'm sagging like crazy. 60lbs in 4/5m

But it all depends on you what the best option is. Bypass scared me too I'm happy with the sleeve

I like honesty, so thank you for this! I knew there would be saggy skin on both, just thought maybe it'd be worse with the Bypass. My age might help with it though!

The amount of weight that you lose, your age and genes, and how you carry the weight in the first place are the major drivers of whether or not you are going to have excess skin. You can lose weight super slow, and still have tons of extra skin. You can lose it quickly, and have virtually no excess skin. I wouldn't let that be the determinant of which surgery I have.

You should speak to your doctor about his/her preference based upon your bmi, health history, whether you already have gerd or acid reflux, etc.

Congratulations, and good luck on your journey!

35 minutes ago, DropWt4Life said:

You should speak to your doctor about his/her preference based upon your bmi, health history, whether you already have gerd or acid reflux, etc.

This. If you attended an information session regarding Bariatric surgery through your program you should have an idea of the major differences regarding each surgery.

Some ppl are not comfortable with the bypass as they feel it is more invasive but if you have a BMI above 50, are diabetic, have GERD, etc. it is likely that a bypass may be recommended as the surgery you need.

Don’t make such a decision based on cosmetic issues that have not happened yet. Read what you can, attend an information session if you have not, and ensure you make an informed decision!

Best of luck to you.

bypass > sleeve in nearly every respect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5406732/:

"The number of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomies (LSGs) performed worldwide as a primary bariatric procedure has grown exponentially in recent years, given the simplicity of the technique, the low complication rate and the good short- and mid-term results regarding weight loss and the resolution of co-morbidities. However, there are a limited data from long-term studies. In this study, a standardized LSG proved to be safe (no mortality and a leakage rate of 1.2%) and highly effective in terms of weight loss after 5-year of follow-up, particularly in patients with a low preoperative body mass index. This manuscript provides additional evidence supporting the role of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a stand-alone procedure for selected morbidly obese patients".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4879937/

"Perceptions of the mechanisms responsible for the beneficial metabolic effects of metabolic/bariatric operations have shifted from being mostly restrictive and malabsorption over the last 10 to 15 years to being more neuro-hormonal in origin".

I can't speak for anyone but myself, and YOU are the one that gets decide which surgery you will have. Here are my thoughts, I wonder why people say that they want the Sleeve because it is less invasive. HHHHMMM they remove 80% of your stomach. People say they don't want the "DUMPING SYNDROME" when Sleeve patients can have the dumping. Granted, with the RNY they bypass part of your stomach. But they don't remove it entirely. And in extreme measures, they can reverse the RNY. There are some SLEEVERS that are revised to the RNY. The one thing to remember is BOTH surgery's you WILL lose weight. The DR works on our physical but not our brain. Only we can make ourselves successful and not a statistic of failure. Good luck with whichever one you decide on!!!

Edited by shedo82773

Please keep in mind BOTH surgeries have low complication rates if you are thinking of leaks or surgery specific type complications.

There are common risks to any procedure performed under anesthesia such as a blood clot, pneumonia, reactions to anesthesia, etc.

6 hours ago, DropWt4Life said:

The amount of weight that you lose, your age and genes, and how you carry the weight in the first place are the major drivers of whether or not you are going to have excess skin. You can lose weight super slow, and still have tons of extra skin. You can lose it quickly, and have virtually no excess skin. I wouldn't let that be the determinant of which surgery I have.

Congratulations, and good luck on your journey!

Ok I have ??? My insurance won't cover my surgery till I lose 17 more pounds,I'm having hard time that's why I'm having surgery and my health,so I'm doing 2 shakes a day and then dinner and 64 loss of Water if not more,and I'm like losing 3 pounds a month if that do you have any advice for me,I have to go back January 3rd and would love to lose this by then my time is getting close,only had 6 months I started at 232,and I'm at about 224, I started in august,should I go all liquid, or diet pills, they said I can do diet pills but if I'm not eating much then how is that gonna help?? I get about 1000 calories a day sometimes less.

5 minutes ago, Pamela wallace said:

Ok I have ??? My insurance won't cover my surgery till I lose 17 more pounds,I'm having hard time that's why I'm having surgery and my health,so I'm doing 2 shakes a day and then dinner and 64 loss of Water if not more,and I'm like losing 3 pounds a month if that do you have any advice for me,I have to go back January 3rd and would love to lose this by then my time is getting close,only had 6 months I started at 232,and I'm at about 224, I started in august,should I go all liquid,or diet pills,they said I can do diet pills but if I'm not eating much then how is that gonna help?? I get about 1000 calories a day sometimes less.

Personally I think it’s unrealistic to lose 17 pounds in the time you have left if it’s taken you five months to lose 8 pounds.

Have you had any lab Work? Consider asking for thyroid labs. I was having a horrible time losing weight and it was because I was hypothyroid. I was also Vitamin D deficient and Vitamin B12 deficient.

I would consider upping calories to 1200 though if you are pre op. Especially if you exercise you may be undereating.

10 hours ago, dreamingsmall said:

Thats crazy, I didnt think it would be that much at 60 pounds (although youre a little on the shorter side).

Out of curiosity are you older or younger ?

Thats crazy, I didnt think it would be that much at 60 pounds (although youre a little on the shorter side).
Out of curiosity are you older or younger ?

On 12/11/2017 at 9:55 PM, KimTriesRNY said:

Personally I think it’s unrealistic to lose 17 pounds in the time you have left if it’s taken you five months to lose 8 pounds.

Have you had any lab Work? Consider asking for thyroid labs. I was having a horrible time losing weight and it was because I was hypothyroid. I was also Vitamin D deficient and Vitamin B12 deficient.

I would consider upping calories to 1200 though if you are pre op. Especially if you exercise you may be undereating.

Thanks that's what I thought to its crazy for sure,but ya I'm d deficiency I take 5000 mg a day and Iron deficiency also,I get infusions for that,but here lately I've only been taking 2 of the 5 d pills you think that might be it? They said they did blood test for thyroid it was ok.