Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week and new to the site

Hi everyone,

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on Monday dec 4.

im 24, and I’m 5’5

my starting weight was 219.2, I am 5 days in and currently 207.6. Has anyone else got gastric sleeve surgery at around this weight?

im kind of struggling.

I’m confused by the diet and I think I’m not having enough fluids. My diet says to drink 3-5 oz every hour. And to includ Protein Shakes 2x a day. I haven’t been drinking enough fluids because my stomach starts to feel very fulll if I drink too fast. When did u start eating puréed food? ya diet plan says after 7 days to introduce puréed foods but I feel like my stomach will not be able to tolerate It.

I’m also very worried about having loose skin. I’m hoping that my age will be on my side and my skin will be resilient but anyone that has had gastric sleeve at around my weight, what is your experience with loose skin?

if anyone could comment on what a normal daily diet for them looks like I’d appreciate It

example: 9-am 3 oz Water

10 am 4 oz Protein shake

11 am 3 oz Water

12 pm 4 oz broth

1pm scrambled eggs

Hi there congrats. And I'm 183 from 244.
It's understandable that your tummy starts to get full fast so constant sips help as you get further out you can take in more some people don't have trouble drinking for me. I'm 5 months out and a switch flicked now I can drink more . Even sucking on ice will help. set timers to remind you to drink. If you don't feel ready that's okay take your time. No rush. Little tries when you feel ready. For me puree was after 2 weeks.

Realistically I wouldn't worry about loss skin right now. Loss the weight then worry you have alot to focus on which is getting to goal. To be honest I'm quite young and though I'm not at goal I have alot of lose skin. But I'd prefer lose skin to being fat. So wearing Spanx. I just keep it moving lol. Good Luck

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

Omg I get my surgery done on the 12th. Aaaah! I'm so excited, but also concerned about how I'm going to get all my fluids drinking an OUNCE every 15 MINUTES. AAAAH. Right now I slam a 33 oz Aquafina in one whoosh. I know those days are gone. Lol this is a pic of my sample diet. Eeeep!

And this is for THREE WEEKS!!!

Oy. Still excited. 😁

20171209_212122.jpg

Edited by Brandi97
Forgot to tell how long this diet was for.

25 minutes ago, Brandi97 said:

Omg I get my surgery done on the 12th. Aaaah! I'm so excited, but also concerned about how I'm going to get all my fluids drinking an OUNCE every 15 MINUTES. AAAAH. Right now I slam a 33 oz Aquafina in one whoosh. I know those days are gone. Lol this is a pic of my sample diet. Eeeep!

Oy. Still excited. 😁

20171209_212122.jpg

Thank you for sending me this! Where do you find high Protein Chrystal light I haven’t seen that yet! So you’re about a month out now.. how is your weight loss journey. I’m 5 days and the Clear Liquids are boring me

48 minutes ago, dreamingsmall said:

Hi there congrats. And I'm 183 from 244.
It's understandable that your tummy starts to get full fast so constant sips help as you get further out you can take in more some people don't have trouble drinking for me. I'm 5 months out and a switch flicked now I can drink more . Even sucking on ice will help. set timers to remind you to drink. If you don't feel ready that's okay take your time. No rush. Little tries when you feel ready. For me puree was after 2 weeks.

Realistically I wouldn't worry about loss skin right now. Loss the weight then worry you have alot to focus on which is getting to goal. To be honest I'm quite young and though I'm not at goal I have alot of lose skin. But I'd prefer lose skin to being fat. So wearing Spanx. I just keep it moving lol. Good Luck

Thank you! One step at a time I guess!

Thank you! One step at a time I guess!

Exactly.one step at a time. Worrying about things you can do nothing about that is quite far in the future. Can remove concentration from what you need to be focusing on ;) You got this.

@nurse123 my surgery was Dec 5th. I am four days out. I went through the options program, so the phase plans are set out for you. I was worried about the same thing. According to my paperwork, I should be getting in equal to or greater than 48 ounces of liquids this includes Protein up to easy 28. Puree does not start until day 15. I set a timer for every 15 minutes, and I am able to drink 2 ounces every 15 minutes, that's 8 Oz's an hour. This is working for me, I started this on day 3 yesterday. I know how you feel. I'm one day behind you.

Welcome! I was sleeved on Nov 30th, and honestly I am still struggling with my fluids. I started soft foods on Friday and I seem to be doing okay with that, but the fluids are hard for some reason. I try to drink between meals. I may need to set a timer to get me on a schedule with the fluids. I also struggled while in the hospital, but seeing that I am a week or so out, I would hope it would be better. Keep at it! It should get easier as we go!

10 hours ago, Brandi97 said:

Oy. Still excited. 😁

20171209_212122.jpg

Thank you for posting!! Mine is not so detailed. I had my sleeve done 12/5 and boy is it hard to drink this much!!!! Good Luck!!!

16 hours ago, nurse123 said:

Thank you for sending me this! Where do you find high Protein Chrystal light I haven’t seen that yet! So you’re about a month out now.

I think what is being referred to here is Crystal Light mixed with unflavored Protein Powder. Here is a thread. http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4254508/Protein-Powder-add-to-Crystal-Light/

I’m 27, 5’5 and my surgery weight was 214. I’m 204 now, 12 days post op. I’ve been “stuck” at 204 for 5 days but I hear that’s normal. Body adjusting and all that.

I was told to do 32 oz of liquid days 2-6, then it increased to 40-48 oz until day 15. After that I’m supposed to hit 64oz daily. What helped me always meet my liquid goal was sipping every 5 minutes from a cup that had the ounces marked on the side. My Water bottles have the tick marks and I got a cup from my hospital too :) helped me keep track and know how I’m progressing. Now I’ve had the routine of getting at least 20 oz by 1pm. If I don’t meet that I know I’m off track. You’ll soon find a routine for sipping and drinking that works for you.

Also, a sugar free popsicle is 3oz and that counted as liquid for my diet. The first few days I kind of lived on popsicles and broth. I started Protein Drinks on day 4.

My puréed foods started on day 6. My diet consists of Protein drinks, mushed up Beans, and various types of cheeses. On day 15 I get to have “solid foods” which includes meat and fish finally! But a meal for me will only be 2 oz 3 times a day.

Another thing that’s been crucial for me is exercise. At first I only did laps around the lower level of my house, now I’m up to 1.5 miles a day walking outside. Exercise helped me get the gas out early on and it’s obviously important for this lifestyle change anyway! But I’m not cleared for weights or anything until week 8 :(

I think the most important things are to stay hydrated and keep your protein intake up! Helps the healing process. And what helped motivate me early on was saying in my head “I’m not going to the hospital for dehydration!” since that happens easily after this surgery. I don’t know if your doctors office has a nurse line, but if the diet and liquid requirements are confusing you could always call them for clarification?

I started out almost twice as heavy as you, and I have a lot of loose skin (although it's not nearly as bad as I'd feared). All I can say is, I would take my loose skin ANY DAY over being fat. ANY DAY. I can't believe now how much I worried about that. It's really a minor issue in comparison and for many people, it's not that hard to hide (and it may turn out to be not nearly as bad as you thought it would be).