Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What surgery did you choose and why

Hi, I had my RNY on July 2nd 2013. I lost 132#'s within 6 months. I ended up needing 5 ENDOSCOPES with 4 Dialations. I did gain a few #'s back but it was after I could eat and drink. I had strictures and couldn't hold anything down. I have maintained my weight at 125-129#'s for 3 and 1/2 years. The reason I decided on the RNY was I was insulin resistant and took 100units of insulin 2 times a day with 500mg of METFORMIN and still couldn't get my blood sugar under control. I was on 12 different meds and now I am on 4 plus my Vitamins. My life is so much better sometimes I think I should just pinch myself to make sure it all happened to me and not someone else. I was 57YO when I had my surgery. Now I am 61. I hear people say they wish they would have done WLS many years ago...not me I really don't think I was ready before the time I did it. I also told myself that I have one last shot at getting my weight off and trying like HECK to keep it off. For myself, it has all worked out for the best!! I am so glad I did finally take a real HARD look at where I was headed and I want to be around for my grandkids ads, I don't want them to remember that their NANA was fat!!! I want them to remember me as able to do fun stuff with them and be around to help guide them into a GREAT FUTURE!! Only you can choose what is best for you!! Have a great day and welcome!!

I had the sleeve 2 months ago. I chose the sleeve because i really didn't want things to be rearranged. It seemed the less invasive of the two main ones, even though, it probably is about the same. I do wish I had done it a long time ago, but then the sleeve wouldn't have been so widely used. I'm 50 now with kids 15 and 9, so better late than never,

I am currently doing the insurance requirements to have wls. I went into this thinking I wanted the sleeve but started being open to bypass. After talking to my PCP and my surgeon about my concerns I have decided on bypass. I have a family history of diabetes and high blood pressure (I have neither) that I'd like to prevent myself from having. Also, I have minor GERD so sleeve was definitely out of the question. Lastly, I don't really have an appetite in the first place so my surgeon identified that as a metabolism problem and said the sleeve is better for people who have the tendency to overeat. He says bypass would help with my metabolism problem. In any event, I won't know if I will be approved and get a date until May. Good luck and best wishes!

I chose RNY because of my 20 years of GERD, and the RNY usually gets rid of GERD. I have to take my Nexium for 6 months after surgery according to my doctor, then I can stop.

Thanks to all that have responded.
I have diabetes, Gerd and chronic bad back, all that I think that will benefit from wls. I'm thinking that the RNY will be the procedure I'll have due to the Gerd and diabetes. I want to be around for my grandkids and not sit out of their activities.

Thank you again. Would love to chat more with anyone who's interested.

I live in San Quentin in Northern California to give a point of reference.

Candy

I had the VSG. The only other co-morbidity I had was diabetes (just moved from pre-diabetic to diabetic). No GERD, hypertension, sleep apnea or joint issues.

My doc recommended RNY, but I felt strongly that the metabolic benefits of the sleeve would give me 80% of what I needed to be effective and I would provide the other 20%. A lot of what I dealt with as I continued to gain weight in my adult years was just freaking being hungry all the time and craving carbs.

I am 6 months out - maintenance will be another story, but so far so good. I am loosing steadily and working out regularly (focusing on strength, endurance and flexibility). I have had one week of a "zero" loss. No major stalls.

My hunch about what would work for me have turned out to be right.

Like you, I ultimately made this choice because I wanted to add decades to my life and have my life make a difference for those that matter to me.

I chose bypass for myself. Although not diabetic or having gerd, I have struggled with my weight my whole life starting at about 11 or 12...maybe not obese but always a bit larger than everyone else my age.

My surgeon gave us the information on both procedures and I researched them both and I feel bypass will get me where I need to be.

Best of luck to you.

they're both good surgeries and you'll find lots of people who've been successful with either/or. There really isn't a bad choice - but your health issues may make one or the other more appropriate for you. I had GERD, so it was a no-brainer: RNY. I've been very happy with it.

11 hours ago, AnisaLeah said:

Lastly, I don't really have an appetite in the first place so my surgeon identified that as a metabolism problem and said the sleeve is better for people who have the tendency to overeat. He says bypass would help with my metabolism problem. In any event, I won't know if I will be approved and get a date until May. Good luck and best wishes!

@AnisaLeah Gosh, your surgeon is so smart! Congrats on putting that together!

I chose RNY because of co-morbidities and the presence of GERD and stomach inflammation. I felt like I needed the malabsorptive properties of RNY. Now I'm just crossing fingers and praying that all goes well!

Good luck! It really sounds like you're gonna have success!!!

I chose vsg, because I didn't have gerd or acid reflux issues, and didn't want to have to worry about taking tons of Vitamins. I also didn't have that much weight to lose, and didn't think that I needed the malabsorptive benefits of RNY.

Both surgeries have tons of benefits and some drawbacks though.

Good Luck!

[mention=325760]AnisaLeah[/mention] Gosh, your surgeon is so smart! Congrats on putting that together!
I chose RNY because of co-morbidities and the presence of GERD and stomach inflammation. I felt like I needed the malabsorptive properties of RNY. Now I'm just crossing fingers and praying that all goes well!
Good luck! It really sounds like you're gonna have success!!!

@FluffyChix thank you! And I'm am happy with my choice of surgeon, he is very informative and both he and his staff are very friendly and helpful. RNY is definitely a better choice for people with GERD and other tummy problems. Also praying that everything goes well for you! Good luck and best wishes!

After meeting with my Surgeon and doing research we both agreed on VSG. My understanding is that Co-morbidities, specifically Diabetes plays into this equation. Luckily I have none of the previously mentioned so Sleeve seemed right.

I would point out that while RNY does add the malabsorption, I read in several articles that after 2 years that advantage subsides considerable and you need to be careful w/ calories.

Good luck with your Journey.

Cheers!

Edited by SleevieInNewJersey
Double posted - strange