Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5K - Week of 21 ? 27 October

What week are you running this week  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What week are you running this week

Hi everyone,

this is our second week in the Couch to 5K program. This is designed to be a 9 week program, but you can repeat weeks (as I will be doing) until you are comfortable moving on. However, you are not supposed to skip weeks.

It has been strongly suggested by trainers and runners alike to NOT run on consecutive days.

More information can be found here: Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

Attached are the first and second weeks in detail

Anyone is free to join, no matter where we are!! ;)

This is the place to check in and support with each other and see how it is going.

What week are you doing?

How is it going for you? Is it too difficult / too easy?

Any comments??

Good luck everyone!

So i did workout 3 of week 1 lastnight. Was a little bit easier than when i did the first one.

Its weird how i always get a little nervous before i start it.

My workout buddy JMCambra: I think we should both try and do week 2 next week! I would feel better knowing you are in there with me doing it!

JM : Give it some thought and let me know, i will understand if u want to do week 1 again.

Whos, I'm so happy to have you here. Just when I was feeling really crappy, I came up on here and saw what you posted, it made me feel so much better!

My reasoning for doing week 1 again was because the first two workouts I couldn't do all the runs, I had to skip 2 in the middle because I was so out of breath. I'm waking up early tomorrow to get to the gym to do my "run" because I see my trainer right after work and I know that after that I'll be super poopedafter a session with her. I'm going to decide then exactly what I'll do. I'll try week 2:phanvan, but if I totally suck at it, I'm reverting back to week 1 for the rest of the week.

If I think I can do it, I'll do it (I'm super competitive), but I'm really down on myself right now. I just had a lot of mini milky ways. And I wanna barf in a bad way. And its all because of what happened at the gym today.

I took my spin class today like normal and I decided to do some crunches (100, woohoo!). Anyways, I've been talking to my trainer about a girly problem. She's been making me do the real "manly" pushups, but one boob is shrinking, while the other is staying the same. I don't care whether they both shrink, or both stay the same, but they need to sync together if you know what I mean. Anyways, I decided to do some pushups and then I remembered what my trainer told me to do a while ago. I'll get on the chest press machine, and do 25 reps of both arms, 50 reps with one arm, and 25 reps with the other arm. Sort of build one side up a little more......So I start, and the instructor from spin class comes along and tells me I'm doing it wrong. Arg!:angry She tells me that I'm going too fast and I need to totally slow it down and put the machine on a higher weight (I had it at 20lbs. I know its not a lot, but the trainer wants me at low weights, with a lot of reps, I was going to do 100 reps total).

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that higher weights + lower reps = muscle building?!? The trainer told me lighter weights + lots of reps = muscle burnout....which is what she wants me to do. Tone the muscle, burn the fat.

Now I know it may seem silly to get mad over some dumbass spin instructor trying to correct what my trainer is telling me to do, but WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? Arg, I was so aggrevated. I came home and was so flustered I ended up making a cvs run and stocking up on mini milky ways...and now I feel the way I do.

Oh yeah, by the way, this spin instructor was talking to me during one of my first classes and I ended up telling her about my band and get this, she tells me that I was wrong for choosing surgery, and that she doesn't believe in surgical methods to improve lifestyles, it should just come naturally, especially when you are altering your body. Which is fine, I don't have a problem with people having their own opinions. You can think what you want. But then she turned around and had a huge ass tatoo on her back! I'm not against tattoos, but don't you think that's altering your body???:angry

Ok, sorry for such a long rant. I do feel a lot better now though! I'll be back tomorrow to let you know how I did...

jm- I hear ya!.

You know that Spin class instructor was way out of line for saying that! That was absoultly not professional at all! I dont like it when people make judgements like that without doing some research.

Your right---lower weight and higher reps tones muscle. I wish they would keep out of it. Next time tell him you doing what you trained personal trainner had told you to do.

Sorry you had a hard time! Tomorrow is another day. I am going to just give week 2 a shot tomorrow and see how i do.

Dont be discouarged, we have all made a slip, just get back on it.

jm -

i agree. dont let a spin instructor get you down. a lot of the instrux at my gym have no idea what they are doing re weight training.

i think i am going to do a week and 1/2 next week. run for 1:15, walk for 1:45 ... see how far i can go then. i am not ready for the full 90 second run, but can go more than the minute...

good luck everyone!

Yes Good Luck to everyone doing it next week. Im a little nervous about it. Just remember we are all going through it together!

Stay strong!!!!

I am so glad to see this post. I was told about this site, went to it, printed it out, hung it on my closet wall and with a calendar and have not done anything since (that was a week ago). Can I really do this weighing 241 lbs? I am down 27 and feel good but am I setting myself up to fail? Should I start at week one then tomorrow? The other thing is, I figured out you need to be able to do a 10minute mile. I walk on my treadmill for 30 minutes and only do about 1.4 miles. I go an average of about 3.4 mi per hour with a 3 grade. I have to first be able to do a 10minute mile dont I?? Help anyone. I was so motivated to try this and now I'm discouraged. And about the instructor.... that was wrong. Feel good about yourself for not hollering out in class the risks with having tattoos. Youre better than her...

Tammy

Tammy,

I am 269 and doing it. i have been doing cardio and have had a personal trainer though for a little over a year and am in relatively good shape.

my advice is DEFINITELY start with week 1. no questions. in fact, i am kind of repeating it with a little longer run.

go for time, not speed at first. if your run is 3 MPH, thats fine. push yourself but dont over do it. we do not want you injured. you may want to try it without the incline at first.

S T R E T C H!!!!!

you can so do this!

welcome!

Whos and Losing, thanks so much. I felt better after I posted. I probably shouldn't have even posted it on this thread, but oh well.

This morning I did week 2 workout 1. It was ok, except my ipod conked out half way through, making it difficult to keep focused, but I pushed through anyways. Let me just say, it was tough!

GO JM!!!!!!!!

I did week 2 workout 1 and i made it ok! Phew! My wife came with me this morning and she did week 1 so i think i insipred her a little.

TJ: As far as the weight, I weight about 380!!!!! All scales say a little different on me but i finaly started registering on my weight Watchers scale. My other one is about 10lbs light. 380! and i can do it!. I did swim for about 2 months before getting up to this though.

Hi all!!

I was really glad to find this tread. I started the c-5k last week. I found and printed out the program 3 weeks ago and finally found the courage to dive in. Week one was pretty awesome. I haven't run or jogged since I was in high school. Back then this would have been cake. I played softball, volleyball, and basketball. But, I was so surprised that I was actually able to do it without quiting or giving up (which got me to this weight in the first place). I had already decided before I started this program that I would do the week 1 workout twice, but after finishing week one and letting go of some of the self doubt, I am starting week 2 workout this morning. wish me luck and hope all of you are doing well.

OK OK OK ... i think i'm going to try week 2 tonight after work.

welcome Mrsking!

JM & Whos .. you guys rock!

Youll do just fine ! It wasnt that bad. You go Lady!!!!!!!!!!!

OK OK OK ... i think i'm going to try week 2 tonight after work.

welcome Mrsking!

JM & Whos .. you guys rock!

I'm not rocking that much, I'm just doing what Whos is telling me to do! I was so nervous jumping on that treadmill this morning, but to be honest, the walking is 2 minutes long, and that really helps with the increase in the running.

And by the way Whos, I think I'll be repeating week 2, unless you tell me otherwise!!!!!!

I'm not rocking that much, I'm just doing what Whos is telling me to do! I was so nervous jumping on that treadmill this morning, but to be honest, the walking is 2 minutes long, and that really helps with the increase in the running.

And by the way Whos, I think I'll be repeating week 2, unless you tell me otherwise!!!!!!

Ahhh we will see! Your doing great JM. I was nervous to this morning but i thought about you and everyone else being nervous too and we did it anyway!

Rock On!