Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failing miserably...seriously need help

I need help. I had my sleeve done in Mexico and really thought I had this. There was next to no follow-up and I was completely comfortable with it and just went about my business with weight loss. Well, the loss slowed and I told myself that was normal. Then the loss stopped. I told myself that was a normal stall. I wrote a post talking about how cool I was with slow losing but then I packed 4 lbs back on and I wanted to cry. I need advice, please!!

Background:

I am a low BMIer. I had surgery back at the end of May and needed to lose approximately 50-60 lbs. I am almost 6 months out and lost 32 lbs. Last week the scale lept up (and stayed up) 4 lbs so now I am back to 28 lbs loss. I have approximately 30 lbs left.

What I know I am doing wrong:

• I am not exercising. I will fix that starting today. I have a gym membership and will alternate cardio and weights each day/4 - 5 days a week.
  • I am not drinking enough Water. Lord knows I try but I would say I am close to 48 ounces a day.
  • My diet is crap. The only stuff that seems to stay down is starchy carbs. bread, potatoes, rice...stuff like that. eggs usually stay down. I don't eat meat (which is fine because it comes up ridiculously quick.) Protein Shakes come back up. Because I eat empty carbs my calories can flex from 800-1400 calories a day. I am 5 11" so even at 1400 calories a day I should still see some scale movement though.

What I know I am doing right:

• I am recording my food so I at least know what my caloric intake is.
  • I am not drinking sugary drinks beyond the occassional glass of wine.
  • I am not standing on the scale every day. I climb on once a week.

Advice? Opinions? I am opening to anything...

You won't lose on carbs at 1400 calories and low bmi. How many grams of Protein are you getting a day? You should be getting it all from food, with the occasional shake if you are away from home or running behind.

Yogurts, cottage cheese, but you won't feel restriction with these and will need to weigh/measure and stick to that instead of the 'full feeling'. Why can't you eat meat - fish, chicken, etc? My NUT says during this losing phase it is very hard to meet goals with vegetarian eating and that you can incorporate it closer to goal. If you are vegetarian - didn't your NUT give you guidelines?

The body uses carbs first because it is easy fuel and won't burn fat if you keep feeding it carbs. How many grams of carbs are you consuming in a day? List your food intake for a day.

You say you record your food are you using a free app like Baritastic or myfitnesspal? You should see all your macros - this surgery is about protein goals, then veg - you mentioned NONE.

Edited by Sosewsue61

I don't and won't eat meat for ethical reasons. I am a vegan with the exception of eggs. I don't have a NUT (nutritionist?) and listing my food intake won't help because it changes so drastically from day to day. I do use myfitnesspal and have the subscription so I can adjust macros. I was hoping someone could offer a good maco goal of protein/carbs/fats? And I didn't mention veggies because the calories are negligible. I know spinach isn't the reason the scale isn't moving. haha

@Aijan There's a group of vegetarians on this board that manage their diet successfully without meat. Try searching "proteinaholic" and see if you can get some advice -- or consider checking out the book directly.

@Aijan Well you stated:

My diet is crap. The only stuff that seems to stay down is starchy carbs. bread, potatoes, rice...stuff like that. eggs usually stay down. I don't eat meat (which is fine because it comes up ridiculously quick.)

So.....it seems you have tried meat which made me question perhaps trying fish. Pardon me for not having the whole story.

So go with TVP, tempeh and tofu products, bread is def not advised, neither is rice and potatoes.

And it's a cop out to not show how much Protein you are currently ingesting. I call bs. You want someone to tell you you should be eating 60-80 grams of protein a day and keep carbs to never more than 100, but better at under 50, as you will see on these forums by successful vets. So there it is.....

You are a real charmer, Sue. I can only imagine how pleasant you are in RL.

On 11/19/2017 at 6:42 AM, Apple203 said:

@Aijan There's a group of vegetarians on this board that manage their diet successfully without meat. Try searching "proteinaholic" and see if you can get some advice -- or consider checking out the book directly.

Thank you, Apple. Off to look. :)

Great thread.