Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband removed after 10 years

Hi everyone, well I had my lapband removed yesterday and I feel great. The operation went very smoothly and relatively speaking...it doesn’t hurt. When I had it put in I was laid up for 2weeks. I think advances in anesthesia has a lot to do with it.

. So glad to be able to eat a fruit, salad, veggies without getting that weird look on my face.

First off I’m soooo glad I got the lapband in the first place.

The trajectory of my life changed so much for the better. But the band is a tool. We must still put disciplines in to achieve our goals.

The reason i had it taken out, a few months ago I had a really bad virus and I think from throwing up my band slipped. So coupled with the fact I’m at my goal weight ... I felt it was time.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. I’d probably go with the sleeve since I hear maintenance afterwards is easy. The band has quite a bit of post-surgery management. If one does choose the lapband... make sure the doctor’s staff is knowledgeable, efficient and they like their job. You’ll work with them on a lot of things.

Dr Spivak (Houston) put mine in and I can’t say enough about his staff. They were wonderful. And a few of them had bariatric surgery so they totally understand what we were going through.

Unfortunately for us he moved to Israel.

Dr Erik Wilson took the lapband out yesterday He is great. Smart, efficient, etc.

As great as he is......The workings of his office aren’t great. I haven’t worked with him long but the staff was not that nice and everyone told me to contact someone else for answers. Could never find anyone.

So I’m not sure I would have him put the lapband in based on that fact.

On surgeries that don’t require a lot of follow up, I most definitely would use Dr. Erik Wilson (by the way there are 2 of them...his brother is Dr Todd Wilson )

Hi - I'm so glad you posted, sometimes I feel like us banders are getting extinct! It was also great to hear from someone with your perspective that the band did its job but needed to come out.

I'm 9 yrs out with a slip at 5 yrs (unfill & then corrected) and a weight regain of 35lbs, so the journey has been mostly positive with increasing reflux now. I'm preparing myself that it may need to be taken out, just not sure on the insurance end as now most plans excluded bariatric procedures. Was your surgery to remove the band covered by your insurance?

Thanks,

Teresa

I had my lap band removed in July due to a mishap on another surgery that made it slip and I CAN'T STOP GAINING WEIGHT BACK....

I have tried everything eating right going to the gym still makes no difference does anyone have some advise please help me I'm losing my mind right now in frustration

On 11/29/2017 at 11:10 PM, teresa4444 said:

Hi - I'm so glad you posted, sometimes I feel like us banders are getting extinct! It was also great to hear from someone with your perspective that the band did its job but needed to come out.

I'm 9 yrs out with a slip at 5 yrs (unfill & then corrected) and a weight regain of 35lbs, so the journey has been mostly positive with increasing reflux now. I'm preparing myself that it may need to be taken out, just not sure on the insurance end as now most plans excluded bariatric procedures. Was your surgery to remove the band covered by your insurance?

Thanks,

Teresa

hi teresa,

so funny you ask about insurance on this... my insurance since the beginning of this journey said "NO BARIATRIC SURGERY". So when this problem occurred, I thought for sure it would be cash only.

I think since it was becoming a big problem, I think they filed it as urgent (and it was) and they covered 80%.

good luck and keep us posted on your journey.

josie

12 hours ago, luckybear said:

I had my lap band removed in July due to a mishap on another surgery that made it slip and I CAN'T STOP GAINING WEIGHT BACK....

I have tried everything eating right going to the gym still makes no difference does anyone have some advise please help me I'm losing my mind right now in frustration

hi lucky bear,

I've gone back to the real basics when we got the band. particularly:

-journaling every lick, bite and (I forget the last one weight watchers uses)

-protein first

-water, Water, water (I find sometimes when I'm "hungry" I'm actually thirsty

-1200 cals a day. (I adjust if I exercise a lot or don't exercise at all)

I read a very encouraging man's post the other day which is helping "my head hunger" I'll try to copy it and post for you.

keep in touch. we are in this together. I do have a TERRIBLE sugar addiction I do battle after dinner.

josie

8 minutes ago, JosieK said:

hi lucky bear,

-protein first

-water, Water, Water (I find sometimes when I'm "hungry" I'm actually thirsty

I read a very encouraging man's post the other day which is helping "my head hunger" I'll try to copy it and post for you.

keep in touch. we are in this together. I do have a TERRIBLE sugar addiction I do battle after dinner.

josie

here's the link lucky bear

9 minutes ago, JosieK said:

hi lucky bear,

-protein first

-water, Water, Water (I find sometimes when I'm "hungry" I'm actually thirsty

josie

here's the link luckybear

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/399081-why-do-we-fall-off-the-wagon-how-to-get-back-on/?do=findComment&comment=4485575