Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG 12/13/17...My journey [emoji4]

Hey y’all,

My name is Rachel. I’m 22 years old & a RN! I have struggled with my weight since I was about 9 years old. I made the decision to have VSG because I truly felt like it would make a vast improvement in my quality of life, how I interact with others & my work performance. I absolutely love what I do & I have worked really hard to get where I am now. So at the age of 22 I should not be coming home from working 12’s and be hurting in my knees & legs. I work night shift & it never seems like I can get enough sleep. I had been doing tremendous research but on November 1st I decided to take a leap of faith & call our bariatric surgeon at the hospital I work at. He got me in very quickly. On November 8th I had my pre op consultation & he thought I would be a great candidate. That same evening I had to meet with one of our hospital nutritionist. It was very informative!! I came home that evening & bought all of my Vitamins & things I would need after surgery. I also had to attend a support group that the hospital hosts. It was great to see results from the surgeon I was going to be using. Today November 17 I had my psych eval & that was a great experience & I was recommended for surgery. The only things I have left at this point are medical clearance from my primary care doctor (nov 28th) & a follow up appointment with the nutritionist (nov 20th). I have already started the pre op diet of high Protein low carb. I am managing to get all of my protein & Water goals met & I am on day 5. I have decided to use this thread as a journal during the rest of my pre op & hopefully post op. Does anyone else have a surgery date 12/13 or around then?

Stats: Height: 5’7 Age 22 HW: 262 CW: 256.9

hi Rachel, I'm glad you have decided to make a life change early in your life. I am a 57 year old nurse and like you decided to have gastric surgery when I was 47 for multiple health problems. I went for the least invasive surgery there was at that time which was the lapband. Did well for a couple of years untill the band started leaking it was replaced and i was able to maintain myself for several years untill this year I had complications again. I had the band removed in January. Insurance would not allow the conversion to the sleeve so after I gained weight again I tried for the sleeve. It was approved without problem. Don't know what the insurance are thinking. Anyway I am 3 weeks out and looking forward to a better experience I have lost 30 lbs since my revisit x the sleeve. It hasn't been a smooth ride due to all the scar tissue but hope it all gets better. Good luck with yours. I'm sure you will do fine.

Hi Rachel!
I just wanted to welcome you to this forum! I had my surgery 3 mos ago & for getting done at age 62 I have no regrets other than wishing I had done it when i was younger!
Keep going to your classes & follow the program cause your gonna love the new you
Im 5'1" HW 235 SW 210 CW 187 GW 150 for now

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app

Ibelloso, I’m sorry to hear about your complications but happy to hear that despite your scar tissue that you are doing good! Hang in there [emoji4] also, I appreciate the encouragement!

Niseys4, thank you!! Wow, you are doing great so far! I really enjoyed the support group at the hospital but I also wanted something at home to journal because I live alone and wanted some accountability! Well wishes for you & keep me updated!

Hey y’all,
My name is Rachel. I’m 22 years old & a RN! I have struggled with my weight since I was about 9 years old. I made the decision to have VSG because I truly felt like it would make a vast improvement in my quality of life, how I interact with others & my work performance. I absolutely love what I do & I have worked really hard to get where I am now. So at the age of 22 I should not be coming home from working 12’s and be hurting in my knees & legs. I work night shift & it never seems like I can get enough sleep. I had been doing tremendous research but on November 1st I decided to take a leap of faith & call our bariatric surgeon at the hospital I work at. He got me in very quickly. On November 8th I had my pre op consultation & he thought I would be a great candidate. That same evening I had to meet with one of our hospital nutritionist. It was very informative!! I came home that evening & bought all of my Vitamins & things I would need after surgery. I also had to attend a support group that the hospital hosts. It was great to see results from the surgeon I was going to be using. Today November 17 I had my psych eval & that was a great experience & I was recommended for surgery. The only things I have left at this point are medical clearance from my primary care doctor (nov 28th) & a follow up appointment with the nutritionist (nov 20th). I have already started the pre op diet of high Protein low carb. I am managing to get all of my protein & Water goals met & I am on day 5. I have decided to use this thread as a journal during the rest of my pre op & hopefully post op. Does anyone else have a surgery date 12/13 or around then?
Stats: Height: 5’7 Age 22 HW: 262 CW: 256.9

Hi Rachel!
My name is Beth I'm also having surgery on December 13th. I'm in nursing school and work at the hospital that I will be having surgery at. Seems like the two of us have a lot in common. Stats: Height 5'5 Age 30 HW 260 CW 235

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Rachel!
My name is Beth I'm also having surgery on December 13th. I'm in nursing school and work at the hospital that I will be having surgery at. Seems like the two of us have a lot in common. Stats: Height 5'5 Age 30 HW 260 CW 235

Wow! Yes we do! How much longer do you have in nursing school? Do you know what area you want to work in when you graduate? Lots of good things to come for you in the future! New career and a new you! You go girl!

I have a year left. Thank goodness it's almost over, I've been approved for surgery for 2 months now but had to wait for the break in semesters. I want to work in ICU or some other critical care, maybe life flight? The trill of codes always gets my heart pumping! Do you have concerns about having surgery at your place of work? At first I had no concerns now I feel like people may look me up because they are nosey. Most likely irrational but it's a thought none the less. Hopefully those 12 hour days will be less exhausting with a new you!!

I have a year left. Thank goodness it's almost over, I've been approved for surgery for 2 months now but had to wait for the break in semesters. I want to work in ICU or some other critical care, maybe life flight? The trill of codes always gets my heart pumping! Do you have concerns about having surgery at your place of work? At first I had no concerns now I feel like people may look me up because they are nosey. Most likely irrational but it's a thought none the less. Hopefully those 12 hour days will be less exhausting with a new you!!

I definitely was concerned at first. Not because I particularly cared if people knew because I’m a pretty open person..but just because I feel as if I will be blocked in at functions with the hospital... if that makes since.. for example I have already started my preop diet but I will switch to a different diet on 11/29... but my hospital had a community bingo where ALOT of the staff & their families gathered at the police department. The kitchen cooked all kinds of goodies & I didn’t want to eat anything there...well maybe besides a brownie lol...but I didn’t I literally ate an apple & drank Water. I ran into the nurse & receptionist from my surgeons office and I was scared I would run into the nutritionist. Idk why considering I didn’t do anything wrong lol... maybe it’s totally irrational. Shew, I’m glad you’re finding time to do it in such a busy schedule..nursing school is not easy! I can’t remember if I mentioned above or not but I work in the ER! I absolutely am an adrenaline junkie..once I lose the weight I would love to do flight nursing..lots of hurdles before I can get there though! They require a lot more additional educational classes plus they have a weight limit also [emoji85] however, I will probably stick with ER for awhile because that’s where I started out as a new grad & almost 1.5 years later I still love it.

I haven't had to do any pre-op diet yet. I've just been trying to maximize Protein and read labels as practice. But after Thanksgiving my liquid diet will start. My surgeon requires a 2 week protein heavy liquid diet. I'm not really looking forward to it but not really dreading it either. I guess I'm kind of looking forward to no meal prep for that 2-4 week period. I usually leave the house at 5 in the morning for work and don't get home until midnight after clinical or class so only bringing shakes with me is a time saver lol. The Cleveland Clinic is a pretty huge hospital and I'm having surgery at a satellite Hospital so I'm not worried about running into people as much as I would be at a smaller hospital. How much time are you planning on taking off of work? I only have 4 weeks between semesters but I can take as long as 12 weeks off of work if I need it.

I haven't had to do any pre-op diet yet. I've just been trying to maximize Protein and read labels as practice. But after Thanksgiving my liquid diet will start. My surgeon requires a 2 week protein heavy liquid diet. I'm not really looking forward to it but not really dreading it either. I guess I'm kind of looking forward to no meal prep for that 2-4 week period. I usually leave the house at 5 in the morning for work and don't get home until midnight after clinical or class so only bringing shakes with me is a time saver lol. The Cleveland Clinic is a pretty huge hospital and I'm having surgery at a satellite Hospital so I'm not worried about running into people as much as I would be at a smaller hospital. How much time are you planning on taking off of work? I only have 4 weeks between semesters but I can take as long as 12 weeks off of work if I need it.

I 100% agree with the struggle of meal prepping lol. How long will you stay in the hospital after surgery? My surgeon says only 1 night but I have read most hospitals require 2. I can only take 12 days off because I have to work Christmas day. I will be off from 12/12/17-12/24/17. I’m very nervous about the short recovery period especially in such a strenuous job. I just pray for a quick recovery & im able to return to work as planned. My surgeon didn’t seem phased by it when I asked him..he said you will be fine after 1 week just some abdominal tenderness. What protein supplement are you going to use?

I 100% agree with the struggle of meal prepping lol. How long will you stay in the hospital after surgery? My surgeon says only 1 night but I have read most hospitals require 2. I can only take 12 days off because I have to work Christmas day. I will be off from 12/12/17-12/24/17. I’m very nervous about the short recovery period especially in such a strenuous job. I just pray for a quick recovery & im able to return to work as planned. My surgeon didn’t seem phased by it when I asked him..he said you will be fine after 1 week just some abdominal tenderness. What Protein supplement are you going to use?

12 days is really short! I think they expect one to two nights but from what I read on here I should try to stay two. I have no other health issues so I'm hoping for a super quick recovery also. For the pre-op diet I have to use a low calorie high protein so I'm doing Slim-Fast high protein. It tastes pretty good I bought strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla. Lol don't wanna be bored with a flavor. Post op I plan on using Premier Protein because it's a little less expensive but the taste is still good. What Vitamins do you plan on using? Are you going to use an all-in-one Multivitamin?

12 days is really short! I think they expect one to two nights but from what I read on here I should try to stay two. I have no other health issues so I'm hoping for a super quick recovery also. For the pre-op diet I have to use a low calorie high Protein so I'm doing Slim-Fast high protein. It tastes pretty good I bought strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla. Lol don't wanna be bored with a flavor. Post op I plan on using Premier Protein because it's a little less expensive but the taste is still good. What Vitamins do you plan on using? Are you going to use an all-in-one multivitamin?

I would almost prefer to stay two as well. I’ve never looked at slim fast. Is it the whey isolate protein? I tried the bananas and cream protein day before yesterday..so not good lol! I don’t mind the chocolate or caramel of it though. I went by the hospital handbook that they gave me for vitamins. I take a multivitamin, thiamin, B12, Iron, Vitamin C, Calcium with d & K & Biotin. It’s several different pills and you take them at separate times a day. It is supposed to be divided into 4 times a day. I was supposed to go ahead and start them & I have tried but they make me incredibly nauseated.

I have no idea if it's whey isolate protein.... took a look at the bottle and it didn't really say. So I got a book from the hospital also saying what Vitamins to take but all of the vitamins are included in some of the Vitamin options on bariatricadvantage.com as Multivitamins that way you don't have to take a million separate vitamins. I asked if they wanted me to start taking them early and they said no just to wait until after surgery. I definitely am taking Biotin now because I'm deathly afraid of Hair loss. Petty I know but it's a reality.

I have no idea if it's whey isolate protein.... took a look at the bottle and it didn't really say. So I got a book from the hospital also saying what Vitamins to take but all of the vitamins are included in some of the Vitamin options on bariatricadvantage.com as multivitamins that way you don't have to take a million separate vitamins. I asked if they wanted me to start taking them early and they said no just to wait until after surgery. I definitely am taking Biotin now because I'm deathly afraid of Hair loss. Petty I know but it's a reality.

You aren’t alone in being afraid of hair loss! I’m already taking biotin 10,000U just for that very reason. I thought about switching to the BariMelts. Especially if these keep making me so nauseated.

[mention=329524]Thatblondechick[/mention], my son is graduating MSON in a few weeks, and he has his first job lined up at Shock Trauma. He started as a nursing student in his second year (critical care) and this last semester he's working there as part of his curriculum (intermediate care). THey start you in intermediate, then after a year you move to critical. Great experience if you want to be NP or NA (he's considering both).