Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tennessee Lap Banders

Jennywren: please see my thoughts in your quote below. I have been crazy busy this week and dealing with an aging parent with some nerve problems this week so not been able to check the posts here. ~~ Lapbandfan

well, I went to my seminar last night with dr Mcdowell at baptist. I was hoping to get him, and I did. he is really nice, but says he prefers gastric for himself because he is impatient. I am not, so i think lap band will be fine for me. In my opinion, I would try hard to do Lapband instead of gastric as there can be SO many more chances of complications with gastric.

I am nervous about one thing. I went to this seminar unbeknownst to my PCP. A few years ago I talked to him about gastric (lap wasn't available, or I dind't know about it then) and he said NO! He or she should be THRILLED that you are trying to take control of your life, tell them if they don't support you that you can find another PCP, I would be THAT determined as it is so worth it. So, I don't know how he will feel about me getting the lap. I need to get a letter of recommendation from him and I am nervous about it. Do i need to make a special appt with him, or can I just take it in to him, or just fax it to him? If they are willing to help you with the letter, you will probably have to make an appt and be able to go over all the failed diet attempts in the past, bit of advice, Do stress to your PCP the family history you may have of heart problems, cancers, heart disease and high blood pressure and strokes that you may have in your family, I did this and feel it helped me in getting approved by insurance. (felt like the letter showed me "going to H__ in a handbasket" with my health LOL.)

LOL I really want to take the chicken way out. lol Any advice? Amy said she would call my insurance today to see what my pay would be, etc, and dr said he puts all his patients on a diet as well....this is the routine procedure, just do what they say and if you dont' lose much it will be in your favor showing you really need the lapband so I see this will be a process. That's ok, I am just worried it will take forever for me to lose weight, as I have been fighting just to keep my weight even or gain little- I have gained about 7 lbs in the last 2 mo fighting.

Good luck and do keep me posted! What did you find out so far about what portion you will have to pay? Have you talked to your doc since the seminar? I would go forth with a mean determination to get it done! that's just me! :)

Thanks for your thoughful reply, I dropped off the paperwork yesterday at my pcp and they called today to have me make an appt to talk to him about it. I go in next thursday. Will let you all know how it goes. I am not a whiney butt, so I have held back a lot of stuff over the years (like I have fibro, but my right shoulder hurts more in the joint and the left doesnt at all, and my left knee has started hurting off and on a few mo ago) So, this may be a real eye opener for him! lol Dr. M is awesome and more "holisitic" than just shoving pills down you every chance he gets, but he believes in the power of pills too. If that makes sense? He has actually been on TLC in a show about when things get left behind inside patients during surgeries- he helped a man from the brink of death survive!

As far as insurance goes- I think what we have is we have to pay 100% up to $4000 (family) and then 90/10- well, we are already up to only $1600 left I think.......oh but crap...this will be next year, so not sure what it will be....dh will have to think about it when signing up for insurance next year. hmmmmmmmm Insurance did say I have to be on a 6 mo physician supervised diet, and the nurse said then it will take about 1 mo for the predetermination letter to be approved, so 7 mo from now is march.

I wanted to post this for any of you that may be close to Huntsville, AL.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Monthly - Support Group - Gastric Banding 1st Thursday of the month 5p-6p Huntsville Hospital - Medical Mall - Wellness Center

This new addition will officially launch next month (November).

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Let's make the debut a great turnout! Email me if you have any questions. wendybpalmer@yahoo.com

I attended a Gastric Band Institute seminar at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo and I have my first consultation with Dr. Ponce Tuesday 10/14. I'm from Ooltewah, TN (just outside of Chattanooga).

My sister-in-law had her surgery done by Dr. Ponce and she was very happy with him. My mother-in-law will be going to him soon too.

Niecey

Quote:

Originally Posted by taz viewpost.gif

Hi. I'm from Memphis. Dr. George Woodman did my surgery at Baptist East on Feb 8th.:tongue:

Hi Taz,

how are you doing? I was banded by Woodman 11/26/08

Edited by guynnl