Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just approved but not excited anymore

I was so opposed to having wls for many years until I became so hopeless and desperate enough to attend a seminar August 2017. The ball has kept rolling and before I know it, I have been approved by insurance and received a date. My family (mom and sis) are supportive but afraid and that is where I am today. I was not excited to hear that I received a date. Up until a few weeks ago, I had made a firm decision to have vsg surgery. I could not wait to hear the news I received yesterday. But after doing months of research, I am freaked out about the possibility of having vagus nerve problems after surgery. I have read a lot of positive experiences of this surgery but the negative ones stick out to me, because I feel like I am going to be one of those cases. I would hate to do something permanent and regret it later. I am at my highest weight and I have been blessed to not have diabetes. I do have controlled hbp but I have to do something. I've read many posts where others are encouraging people to have the surgery etc. But I'd like to hear from those rare people who were not excited about surgery, who were fearful they would be the exceptions but everything worked or didn't work out for them. Can I hear from you guys??? Thanks in advance

Hi. I was against wls for years also until one day while laying in the hospital with kidney stones I had a change of heart. I just felt gross and embarrassed and felt like a whale. I previously researched wls and was very nervous about complications and life long decisions. I was never excited even up until dec 6 2016 the day of my gastric sleeve. I laid in pre op for 8 hours because my surgeon had an emergency. During that time i tried to leave twice out of anger and anxiety but with help of my parents i stayed. To be honest after surgery I had ups and downs. Nausea and pain and no appetite and was sick of damn Protein shakes! Month after month I got better and better and slowly introduced food items back into my diet. I am currently 11 months post op. I went from 388 lbs the day of surgery to 258 today. I completely understand how you feel and everyone has different experience. Good luck and stay strong!20171111_055304.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

I hear you. You *might* have vagus nerve problems, but you might not. Does that mean you shouldn't have the surgery? Let me ask another question: You *might* get hit by a car crossing the street. Does that mean you shouldn't leave the house? No matter what we do, there are risks. Even doing nothing has risks, especially when it comes to our bodies.

In your plea, I hear fear talking. It's time to tell fear to STFU. Good luck!

6 hours ago, Fiskgyrl said:

I was so opposed to having wls for many years until I became so hopeless and desperate enough to attend a seminar August 2017. The ball has kept rolling and before I know it, I have been approved by insurance and received a date. My family (mom and sis) are supportive but afraid and that is where I am today. I was not excited to hear that I received a date. Up until a few weeks ago, I had made a firm decision to have vsg surgery. I could not wait to hear the news I received yesterday. But after doing months of research, I am freaked out about the possibility of having vagus nerve problems after surgery. I have read a lot of positive experiences of this surgery but the negative ones stick out to me, because I feel like I am going to be one of those cases. I would hate to do something permanent and regret it later. I am at my highest weight and I have been blessed to not have diabetes. I do have controlled hbp but I have to do something. I've read many posts where others are encouraging people to have the surgery etc. But I'd like to hear from those rare people who were not excited about surgery, who were fearful they would be the exceptions but everything worked or didn't work out for them. Can I hear from you guys??? Thanks in advance

Oh yes, surgery will bring up emotions for some of us.

Fear of the unknown can cause anxiety. Over thinking, going back in forth second guessing your decision, questioning if you are doing the right thing, worrying that you won't be successful and struggling with the idea of having complications. know that your feelings are normal pre surgery.

If you are still undecided you can cancel and back out. If you change your mind in the future, you can start this long process all over again.

Think of the the reasons why you wanted surgery. you said "I became so hopeless and desperate enough to attend a seminar August 2017" this is about getting your health back. This will not be like the weight loss attempts in your past. Know that you can and will be successful with your weight loss long term.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make,

Jenn

By the way, I'm three years out and still doing fine. I had no complications. I bounced back from surgery quickly. Off many medications, I have no regrets.

jenn.jpg

@Fiskgyrl, what you’re experiencing is more common that you think. I think MOST of us rejected the thought of surgery at first. Most of us were certain we would be the unlucky ones that would end up with complications.

For me it just came a time when I couldn’t keep pretending I was going to lose the weight naturally anymore. I was scared but I was more scared of spending the rest of my life stuck in this fat suit. It’s been a little over a month for me and it was the best thing I could have done for myself. It was really hard for about a month, but life is totally normal now and other than eating small amounts, you wouldn’t know I had WLS.

There is no shame in being afraid, and it’s ok if you’re not ready for this yet. But if you do want to go through with it, my advice is try and commit. Say “I’m doing this, I’m rocking it, and there’s no looking back”. It’ll make you so much stronger for the liquid and recovery phases.

Good luck in whatever you decide [emoji173]️

10 hours ago, Gabbee said:

@Fiskgyrl, what you’re experiencing is more common that you think. I think MOST of us rejected the thought of surgery at first. Most of us were certain we would be the unlucky ones that would end up with complications.

For me it just came a time when I couldn’t keep pretending I was going to lose the weight naturally anymore. I was scared but I was more scared of spending the rest of my life stuck in this fat suit. It’s been a little over a month for me and it was the best thing I could have done for myself. It was really hard for about a month, but life is totally normal now and other than eating small amounts, you wouldn’t know I had WLS.

There is no shame in being afraid, and it’s ok if you’re not ready for this yet. But if you do want to go through with it, my advice is try and commit. Say “I’m doing this, I’m rocking it, and there’s no looking back”. It’ll make you so much stronger for the liquid and recovery phases.

Good luck in whatever you decide [emoji173]️

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sure I'll waffle until D-day. But I too am tired of the fat suit

17 hours ago, Numbergurl37 said:

Hi. I was against wls for years also until one day while laying in the hospital with kidney stones I had a change of heart. I just felt gross and embarrassed and felt like a whale. I previously researched wls and was very nervous about complications and life long decisions. I was never excited even up until dec 6 2016 the day of my gastric sleeve. I laid in pre op for 8 hours because my surgeon had an emergency. During that time i tried to leave twice out of anger and anxiety but with help of my parents i stayed. To be honest after surgery I had ups and downs. Nausea and pain and no appetite and was sick of damn Protein shakes! Month after month I got better and better and slowly introduced food items back into my diet. I am currently 11 months post op. I went from 388 lbs the day of surgery to 258 today. I completely understand how you feel and everyone has different experience. Good luck and stay strong!20171111_055304.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow! You look amazing! Thanks for sharing your story

11 hours ago, jenn1 said:

Oh yes, surgery will bring up emotions for some of us.

Fear of the unknown can cause anxiety. Over thinking, going back in forth second guessing your decision, questioning if you are doing the right thing, worrying that you won't be successful and struggling with the idea of having complications. know that your feelings are normal pre surgery.

If you are still undecided you can cancel and back out. If you change your mind in the future, you can start this long process all over again.

Think of the the reasons why you wanted surgery. you said "I became so hopeless and desperate enough to attend a seminar August 2017" this is about getting your health back. This will not be like the weight loss attempts in your past. Know that you can and will be successful with your weight loss long term.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make,

Jenn

By the way, I'm three years out and still doing fine. I had no complications. I bounced back from surgery quickly. Off many medications, I have no regrets.

jenn.jpg

Geez Louise Jenn, You look great! Like a whole new person! Thanks for your support

13 hours ago, DaleCruse said:

You are so right! Regardless of my decision, I need to tell fear to STFU!! Thanks DaleCruse

I was on your place two weeks ago. My main goal for the surgery is to get healthy. Had the surgery 6/4/2018. Rough first week but feeling better each day. Pain is gone. Everything functioning well. No hunger. Weight dropping like crazy. So happy with my decision. It is a life changing decision but with this decision I am off diabetic meds and blood pressure meds and it's not even 2 weeks. Would do it again.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'll be honest, I didn't research much, or any side effect problems of the surgery. But I can say I never even heard of vagus nerve problems, with anyone, let alone caused by the surgery if that is what you are concerned about.

I'd be more frightened of all the problems you WILL GET, 100% guranteed without weight loss, and the skyrocketed percentages for health problems you will face without the surgery.

The monitored pre-op diet by my doctor's dietician was the most successful diet I was on. I almost decided not to do the surgery. But the chances I could keep the weight down, statistically we're slim. I am glad I had the surgery. I consider it a lifesaver because in 5-10 years, I'd be in a bad place.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

I feel the same way but I haven’t even gotten to my consult yet lol! I’ve gone back and forth with the idea for years now but I’ve ALWAYS gone back to yes; I will do this. The rationale that I have come to is simple; I may have serious complications from this surgery...but I also may have serious complications of being morbidly obese. I think that rationale has really helped guide me to make this decision. Best of luck to you 💜