Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Keep Losing Weight

I had gastric sleeve in April of 2017. My starting weight was 316. My weight loss goal was 240 - 250. My current weight is 180.

I have always been a big guy. By big, I mean NFL big. When I graduated the Army’s Basic Combat Training at age 18, I weighed 225... all skin, bone, and muscle. Something happened when I retired from the Army. I just got fat. I shot up to 316lbs and was turning diabetic. My wife and I were without children, so I saved $20,000 to do in vitro fertilization (it ended up costing $40k). After two tries, the wife got pregnant. I needed to live for another 20 years so I decided to have gastric sleeve surgery.

I lost all of the weight and I now have a beautiful baby boy. Then I kept losing more weight. I have no appetite. food hurts when it is going down. I often throw up after I eat. I lost more weight. I became malnourished and anemic. I lost more weight. I am always sick now. I am losing more weight. I think I am dying.

I think you may be overdue to see your doctor about this problem.

I read where another person had a kink in an intestine and some other issues - Addison's and thyroid that caused the malnutrition - go get checked right away - esp ask them to check for Addison's.

Its odd that the way you write is quite poetic. How much do you weigh now. What does your doctor think? Sorry your suffering and congrats on the baby

2 hours ago, Christop said:

I had gastric sleeve in April of 2017. My starting weight was 316. My weight loss goal was 240 - 250. My current weight is 180.

I have always been a big guy. By big, I mean NFL big. When I graduated the Army’s Basic Combat Training at age 18, I weighed 225... all skin, bone, and muscle. Something happened when I retired from the Army. I just got fat. I shot up to 316lbs and was turning diabetic. My wife and I were without children, so I saved $20,000 to do in vitro fertilization (it ended up costing $40k). After two tries, the wife got pregnant. I needed to live for another 20 years so I decided to have gastric sleeve surgery.

I lost all of the weight and I now have a beautiful baby boy. Then I kept losing more weight.

I have no appetite. food hurts when it is going down. I often throw up after I eat. I lost more weight. I became malnourished and anemic. I lost more weight. I am always sick now. I am losing more weight. I think I am dying.

Call your bariatric surgeons office. !!!!!!

On 11/6/2017 at 8:52 AM, Christop said:

I lost all of the weight and I now have a beautiful baby boy. Then I kept losing more weight. I have no appetite. food hurts when it is going down. I often throw up after I eat. I lost more weight. I became malnourished and anemic. I lost more weight. I am always sick now. I am losing more weight. I think I am dying.

You literally stole my breath - was not expecting it to end like that. Don't let it end like that though. Advocate for yourself, like the soldier you are, and make them find out what is wrong with you. Sounds like you have a lot to live for. Hope you get it figured out.

@Christop

1. You need to see your Dr ASAP
  2. Increase your calories with liquids. Make Protein Shakes with Half and Half or heavy cream
  3. Try the high calorie shakes from the Supplement store
  4. See your surgeon

I understand. I got too low as well, down to 102 on 5'4" body. The difference for me was I did have an appetite. I was able to eat Cookies, pizza, Pasta, chips, etc., and still keep losing. The drastic losing finally stopped after about 14 months, and I've regained to 112 now at 3 years. My doctor told me to eat whatever I could high calorie, even recommended McDonald's French fries to get my BP to come back up as it was hanging out in the 70's/40's.

The same thing happened to my daughter. While eating worked for me, we had to resort to the high calorie Ensure shakes for my daughter to get her weight back up. You may need to look into those. She eats just fine now, and also has regained to a healthy weight at 2 years.

I hope you're able to find a solution and that your fears are eased soon. I know that worry, it's not fun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

This is an issue you don’t hear about a lot, people don’t like to talk about it but it is common. Eating can be very difficult after the surgery. I’m four years out and I still have a hard time eating. I get sick about 75% of the Times I eat. It is u comfortable, can be painful, I dump and throw up.

I had to shelve all of the dietary advice I was given and I now eat whatever I can handle in order to just get food in. I would definitely recommend seeing your surgeon, adding in high calorie shakes, making a meal plan where you eat at least 6 times a day, and seeing an eating disorder therapist. ASAP.

I wish people would talk about it more. I can understand it is probably difficult for the person going through it, but by reaching out you see that there are others with similar experiences and advice to offer. Also, it is really helpful for those of us in the pre-op stage to have continued awareness of potential outcomes. I personally appreciate everyone's honesty and willingness to share.

@Christop Where are you OP?

We are all concerned, we hope you are seeking help and getting better.

My surgeon put me in the hospital for a few days and gave nutrition through an IV catheter. They did a GI study and he said that not only had my stomach narrowed, it had shrunk as well. My stomach is supposed to be the size of a banana. It is now the size of a fat earthworm. It just looked like a thin line on the barium radiology study. My surgeon is conferring with other doctors on what we should do. Normally he would inflate a balloon in my stomach to stretch it out, but my stomach might be even too small for that. I will have to see what else he can come up with, Just hope for the best.

My surgeon put me in the hospital for a few days and gave nutrition through an IV catheter. They did a GI study and he said that not only had my stomach narrowed, it had shrunk as well. My stomach is supposed to be the size of a banana. It is now the size of a fat earthworm. It just looked like a thin line on the barium radiology study. My surgeon is conferring with other doctors on what we should do. Normally he would inflate a balloon in my stomach to stretch it out, but my stomach might be even too small for that. I will have to see what else he can come up with, Just hope for the best.

The balloon inflation was also something that was talked about for me. My daughter got too sick too quickly, and they did not catch it in time despite my pleas to give her IV nutrition. She is now permanently disabled from an all over brain bleed (Wernicke's Encephalopathy) due to lack of Vitamin b1. I am so thankful that your doctors are taking this seriously and giving you the IV nutrition. She ended up with a J tube feeding tube after the damage was already done. Mine resolved on its own, it just took a lot of time.

Look into trying these shakes to help as well. They really have been a tremendous help for us. I hope all the best for you, and please keep updating.

1510676438209.thumb.jpeg.969fa4b333b4251a74e5b4913c8543a5.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app