Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people have GERD and get a sleeve anyway?

That it interesting about the hernia. I was in the 5% who had GERD without one though.

I apparently have a hiatal hernia and gastritis but no symptoms. My doc will repair the hernia (both of my parents had hiatal hernias). I have to take Prilosec now, but I am pretty sure I need to stop taking massive doses of Excedrin. I have done that. My surgeon says that some people with GERD preop don’t have it post op sleeve, but some have no change. Some people get GERD for the first time. He thinks that having GERD is not a reason to get bypass instead of sleeve.

I dealt with it pretty bad pre-op; I had a chronic cough as well (usually after I ate). Had the sleeve. Took the ppi’s for a few weeks and ran out. Haven’t had any meds since, nor GERD or the annoying cough. I’m just shy of 6 months post now. I give my thanks to God above (my personal belief) knowing the stats of it and having a sleeve. I just believed and prayed that it wouldn’t be an issue for me. So, my prayer has been answered.

Edited by Newme17

I had very mild heartburn prior to my gastric sleeve. I wanted a bypass based on my high BMI but my surgeon was really pushy about the sleeve being a perfectly viable option even with my heartburn. He fixed a hiatal hernia when he did the sleeve. Heartburn was controlled for a year and a half, however it got so bad I was strangling on acid every night and 3-4 days a week I would wake up with acid coming out of my nose. I was taking two to three acid blockers and sleeping almost sitting up on 5 pillows. My surgeon did a bunch of tests including an EGD and gallbladder tests. Stated there was no hiatal hernia and no signs of abnormal gallbladder-function. He insisted it was a gall bladder issue though and removed my gall bladder. The heartburn did not get better. It got worse and my surgeon wouldn’t consider any other options. 6 months later I transferred all of my records to a new surgeon who looked at my old EGD and said I had a huge hiatal hernia and he operated and fixed it. Instead of nighttime heartburn, I had all day GERD. That was a year and a half ago. Now my new surgeon has done another EGD and a colonoscopy. He says the hiatal hernia has not recurred so he is in the process of getting an approval for revision to bypass. My understanding is the sleeve in some patients causes pressure that causes horrendous GERD & the bypass does not have this problem. It is my utmost prayer that that is the case. Highest weight was 358 and lowest was 179. I am 5’7. I’m now bouncing around 230.

13 minutes ago, KristieAtkinson said:

I had very mild heartburn prior to my gastric sleeve. I wanted a bypass based on my high BMI but my surgeon was really pushy about the sleeve being a perfectly viable option even with my heartburn. He fixed a hiatal hernia when he did the sleeve. Heartburn was controlled for a year and a half, however it got so bad I was strangling on acid every night and 3-4 days a week I would wake up with acid coming out of my nose. I was taking two to three acid blockers and sleeping almost sitting up on 5 pillows. My surgeon did a bunch of tests including an EGD and gallbladder tests. Stated there was no hiatal hernia and no signs of abnormal gallbladder-function. He insisted it was a gall bladder issue though and removed my gall bladder. The heartburn did not get better. It got worse and my surgeon wouldn’t consider any other options. 6 months later I transferred all of my records to a new surgeon who looked at my old EGD and said I had a huge hiatal hernia and he operated and fixed it. Instead of nighttime heartburn, I had all day GERD. That was a year and a half ago. Now my new surgeon has done another EGD and a colonoscopy. He says the hiatal hernia has not recurred so he is in the process of getting an approval for revision to bypass. My understanding is the sleeve in some patients causes pressure that causes horrendous GERD & the bypass does not have this problem. It is my utmost prayer that that is the case. Highest weight was 358 and lowest was 179. I am 5’7. I’m now bouncing around 230.

Damn that's horrible.

Did medication help with the reflux at all? Was the Gerd less bad when you were around 179?

Damn that's horrible.

Did medication help with the reflux at all? Was the Gerd less bad when you were around 179?

Unfortunately, it didn’t help. At 179 was when the acid would come out my nose when I was sleeping.

Fingers crossed you get your bypass soon. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that your sleeve was shaped in some strange way that made it extra bad for you. It's terrible that you've had to live with it so bad for so long!

Fingers crossed you get your bypass soon. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that your sleeve was shaped in some strange way that made it extra bad for you. It's terrible that you've had to live with it so bad for so long!

Thank you so much. Let’s hope that insurance cooperates. My major concern is esophageal cancer as the acid continues unabated.

Met with my surgeon and officially changed my procedure to the sleeve. A huge load off my mind, he was much more open to it than in previous conversations.

Still concerned about how reflux will be post op, but it sure beats worrying about what I'd be worried about with the bypass