Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Nurses?

Hey,

It is great to see all the nurses getting banded too. I am not banded yet, but in the process. Sometimes I feel pretty stupid that I am a nurse and can't manage my own nutrition. However I am smart enough to do something about it! :(

I have been a nurse for 6yrs, and just started a job as a nurse recruiter for a travel company. I like it, but miss floor nursing. Something in my blood likes to be on my feet running around. It is fun talking to other nurses on the phone though. I get to hear alot of neat things nurses are doing and trying around the US.

Wish me luck on my path to life with the band and keep it up.....everyone really inspires me that you can all lose so much weight!

Happy Halloween!

Tracy

I am a nurse too. Director of care in a long term care centre. got my band in August. had my third fill yesterday and feeling somewhat too restricted. I will go for a half cc defill if i cant eat tomorrow. Presently I have 6cc in a 10cc band. anyhow nice joining this tread.

good luck munchkin! I cant wait for my second fill. The losing is slow now but I do feel so much better. Cant wait to be slim and healthy! We will be healthy nurses !

renewed hope... i live in texarkana, just started working at a hospice in mt pleasant though. What type of nursing are you doing?

I do floor nursing in Pittsburg. I work PRN and do that very rarely. Mostly, I homeschool an 8 year old and chase an 11 month old. I have done several different things. Home Health, I managed a 5 physician practice, clinic nursing, and Hospice. I worked hospice for 2 years, and I must say, it was the most rewarding nursing I have ever done. Difficult, but rewarding. I worked for Cypress Basin Hospice in Mt Pleasant.

Good luck mun on your upcoming surgery.

I got some concerned questions from the docs I work with also but the nursing staff has been the most supportive, they seem more excited to see the process than I am. Hopefully it will be successful. I'm 2 weeks out and feel no restriction now so the head hunger is challanging.

Hello Fellow Nurses,

I have noticed many nurses posting on this support group. I've worked Hospice for 5yr in Memphis, Tn.

I'm pretty much at goal, totally unfilled, I've gained about 10lb since my unfill a few weeks ago. I was too tight from about March till Oct. I lost about 30lb. That's pretty much why I didn't do anything about being too tight. Dumb I know, but the weight loss was really good and I was pretty good about doing Protein shakes regularly.

My hair still falls out if I don't get a substantial amount of Protein daily. I'm eating normally now and still I have this issue. Anyone know why? Maybe I've used up my reserves. That's the only thing I can think of.

Nice to have this thread for nurses.

Dr. Ortiz/TJ, Mx

DOB 9/13/06

218/s210/c157/g150

Hello Fellow Nurses,

I have noticed many nurses posting on this support group. I've worked Hospice for 5yr in Memphis, Tn.

I'm pretty much at goal, totally unfilled, I've gained about 10lb since my unfill a few weeks ago. I was too tight from about March till Oct. I lost about 30lb. That's pretty much why I didn't do anything about being too tight. Dumb I know, but the weight loss was really good and I was pretty good about doing Protein shakes regularly.

My hair still falls out if I don't get a substantial amount of Protein daily. I'm eating normally now and still I have this issue. Anyone know why? Maybe I've used up my reserves. That's the only thing I can think of.

Nice to have this thread for nurses.

Dr. Ortiz/TJ, Mx

DOB 9/13/06

218/s210/c157/g150

Hair loss happens with weight loss. When you stop losing for a couple of months you'll notice it growing back in again. If you feel the hairs behind your ear you can watch for stubble. :D

We had quite a few people researching hair loss recently. We read everything we could find on it. We were all trying different things and in different combinations. Protein, Biotin, Iron, B complex, special shampoos, conditioners, the works. It will slow down then go fast, slow down then fast again. It just plain won't stop falling out and regrowing for a couple of months after maintenance.

I probably lost 50% of my hair.

Sucks, eh? Everyone swears it will grow back. I'm banking on that! HA!

I am a nurse too for 12 years, was an aide since I was 13 years old though (private duty for an MS patient) who was a nurse and taught me alot about caring for people and nursing all while bedridden! I was banded in December of 2006 so far I am down 52 pounds- it has been a slow road for me, but I am not giving up! I currently work as House Supervisor, but mostly ICU and ER before that! Jill

Here's another nurse. I'm independent which means I bill medicade directly for the work I do with private in home patients. Actually I only have 1 now. I'm trying to retire. I only work 1-2 days a week because they need me there as the case manager at least once a week. Before this I worked 20 years in med surg ans ER, then 10 in psych and now 10 as pdn. It's been interesting. Sharon

Hello everyone.. I had my surgery on 11/1/07 I was sore after wards... but nothing that Lortab elixir did not cure.

Day two: really sore on L side of abd & L chest & shoulder discomfort. Abd swollen all things to be expected... but moderatly sore. I walk for an hour outside.... while purching gas-x.. walking & gas-x really helped w/ L chest & shoulder discomfort. Had to take pain med every 4 hrs. Tolerated liquids well... only got in 6 cup all day... I'm suppost to shoot for 8 cups a day

Day three: a LOT less bloated today... tolerated liquids well, this morning I sipped 1 cup brot & 1/2 special K Protein Water... over 45mins. I didn't feel "full" but when I stood up 15min later I had some sharp pains .. gas?? just felt like i could not get comfortable.... so I took gas x and pain meds... and 1 our later .... felt bette. Walked around out side for 2 hours today.... didnt feel bad... finished 1/2 protien Water and another cup of broth... my stomach and bowels are activley gurgling.... but feeling good.... have not had to take any more pain meds today...

Not sure if I should be concerned w/ the fact I dont feel "full"?? maybe cuz its liquids?? In my head I want to feel that full feeling.... that is the reason I did get the procedure...

I know I'm rushing it.. its only day three.... but its like I want to test it... I'm crazy... or maybe it the pain meds.. ha ha!!

Also excited I got the low profile port placed

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5sjnoQ/

user_online.gifreport.gif digg.gif delicious.gif technorati.gif furl.gif

progress.gifedit.gif quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

HoliwoodView Public Profile Send a private message to Holiwood Find More Posts by Holiwood Add Holiwood to Your Buddy List

Hi All you nurses and students!

I am a nurse, currently in KC, but transferring to Nashville. I was an OR nurse for 12 years, then I moved in to Supply Chain. I went in to nursing to be an OR nurse - my plan since I was 9 years old! Then another opportunity came along that I absolutely love - which is a wonderful thing about nursing - there are many choices for your career path.

There is a great job opening in KC, if you are interested in a position with these perks: M-F 9-5, no call, no weekends, independent work, use of clinical knowledge, a chance to learn about all areas of the hospital, and many more.

I have beat myself up in the past for being a nurse and being super obese. BUT I don't do that anymore, being a nurse does not change the fact that I have true clinical reasons for being obese, it just makes me more knowledgeable about the causes and the consequences, and the solutions. Being a nurse does not change the psychological reasons for overeating either and the stress the job can bring adds to it. So use your knowledge to help yourself as much as you help your patients every day!

Good Luck to everyone on their Band Journey - mine has been good so far.

Hi, Nurses and students! I work for my state health department as a hospital surveyor/inspector. It is interesting, but lots of travel. Any ideas for traveling and eating? I have gained at least 20 pounds eating at all the good restaurants in the towns I visit, plus I get bored and snack. I have lately been getting out to museums, zoos, etc, and that helps. I have only told one co-worker, and she was a little shocked at first, then I noticed some envious looks after I explained the band to her. Most people don't really have alot of info, but when it is explained to them, they aren't so surprised....it will be a little weird telling my boss, but he is very understanding. Students, I graduated from nursing school 17 years ago, but have never forgotten how STRESSFUL it is. Hang in there - we need you!

... Any ideas for traveling and eating? I have gained at least 20 pounds eating at all the good restaurants in the towns I visit, plus I get bored and snack. ...

Travel and eating... I do have some ideas.

Do you like Protein shakes? I prefer them with Water and use them as a Meal Replacement when I am too lazy to make food. :) I use bottled Water, drink half the water, add Protein mix, some Raspberry Da Vinci S/F Syrup, shake, and drink.

Then there is peel and eat such as Bumble Bee brand tuna.< /p>

BumbleBee

Depending on flavor it is around 120 calories and 21gms protein.

J&D Fine Foods. I buy Veggie chips (snack) and dried fruit there, the Cantaloupe is fantastic!

J&D Fine Foods | Nuts By The Pound | Dried Fruit By The Pound | candy By The Pound | Gift Baskets | Wholesale Bulk Nuts

Da Vinci S/F syrups... 0 calories. When I travel I put some in a 4oz bottle such as what cough syrup comes in. My RPh gives me a couple bottles as I need them. They are great for adding a bit of flavor to Protein Shakes, coffee, etc.

Netrition's Da Vinci Prices

Then there are parmesan cheese crackers, they go well with the tuna above:

Netrition's Kitchen Table Bakers Prices

So... where are the updates from everyone??? How is everyone doing? I a get my second fill tueday. Just in time for thanksgiving. I am getting hungry as a bear so I will be glad to get it done. I eat the 100 calorie Snacks, LOVE THEM

Happy Thanks giving. Anyone know of any GREAT prn CNA's in the mt pleasant/texarkana area, let me know !