Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In the beginning, focus on getting your Protein in. There will be no room for carbs until later. I'm 7.5 months out and I usually stay under 100g carbs, but I also eat 120g+ of protein at this point.

Right after surgery it was low fat and low sugar. Under 15g of fat and 8g of sugar per 100g. That was for the first 6 weeks, after that, everything was fair game.

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, the part of your stomach that process fat and sugars has been cut away. Therefore consuming this type of food can lead to dumping syndrome. But after around a year post-op, your intestines figure out something is wrong and step up to the plate and begin to process this type of food.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. Food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes.

There are two phases to weight loss surgery, the weight loss phase and the maintenance phase. The goals of each phase and the approach used to achieve those goals are different. The low carb approach may be applicable during the maintenance phase but if you want to lose the weight stick to the program requirements given by your surgeon. Weight loss is achieved by meal volume control during the weight loss phase.

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, the part of your stomach that process fat and sugars has been cut away. Therefore consuming this type of food can lead to dumping syndrome. But after around a year post-op, your intestines figure out something is wrong and step up to the plate and begin to process this type of food.
The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. Food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.
Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes.< br> There are two phases to weight loss surgery, the weight loss phase and the maintenance phase. The goals of each phase and the approach used to achieve those goals are different. The low carb approach may be applicable during the maintenance phase but if you want to lose the weight stick to the program requirements given by your surgeon. Weight loss is achieved by meal volume control during the weight loss phase.

I agree with you, this is what I was taught in the nutritional classes. Just do not want to start bad habits from the beginning.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BariatricPal mobile app

"Bad habits?" Some people would consider it a "bad habit" to cut out fruit, starchy vegetables and whole grains and subsisting on meat, eggs and cheeses. Others damn a banana down into deepest hell.

If a dietary habit is bad or not depends on the dietary philosophy people are following. And there are plenty out there to follow.

I think you can't go wrong following a nutrition first outlook. no need to follow "diet plans". ask yourself if this gives you the highest number of nutrients? Post RNY nutrient dense food is critical. I don't avoid carbs, about 35% of my diet is nutrient dense carbs like fruits and vegetables, seeds, sometimes Beans etc. 40% is Protein (critical post op) and the remainder are healthy fats like salmon and avocado, nuts.

I avoid processed foods and simple carbs because they have little nutritional value. post op there isn't a lot of real estate in your stomach so nutrient dense food needs to take priority.

Now that I'm in maintenance and eating more. I may have the occasional simple carb choice...but i treat it like a condiment in terms of portion.

I think it's pretty simple. If you find yourself hungry and snacky between meals or within 3 hours of your last meal, then chances are that you had more carbs in your last meal than your body can comfortable handle. If you're fighting the urge to snack and graze, you're eating too high carb/too high glycemic.

My surgeon and nut tell me I need to eat Protein first, then veggies, then if there is any room left over to allow a bite or two of a higher carb item such as a starchier veg like butternut squash or sweet potato, rutabaga--or a bite or two of quinoa, brown rice, or wild rice, or barley. Most of my meals should be protein first and a bite or two of veg. Low glycemic fruit and berries are also allowed.

On 10/31/2017 at 1:13 PM, FluffyChix said:

I think it's pretty simple. If you find yourself hungry and snacky between meals or within 3 hours of your last meal, then chances are that you had more carbs in your last meal than your body can comfortable handle. If you're fighting the urge to snack and graze, you're eating too high carb/too high glycemic.

My surgeon and nut tell me I need to eat Protein first, then veggies, then if there is any room left over to allow a bite or two of a higher carb item such as a starchier veg like butternut squash or sweet potato, rutabaga--or a bite or two of quinoa, brown rice, or wild rice, or barley. Most of my meals should be Protein first and a bite or two of veg. Low glycemic fruit and berries are also allowed.

Agree agree agree!!! I’ve JUST had his happen to me & it’s so true!! My hubby so lovingly made me soft white bean chili yesterday & although great in protein it’s high in carbs... I ate a small portion about every 3 hours yesterday!!! Feeling it today yuck!! Will not do that ever again. Also have a additional 1.4 lb weight gain today! No thanks getting back to more protein than carbs now!

Beans are a good carb because it has Fiber, and they have Protein and on my plan it is completely allowed.

Beans are a good carb because it has Fiber, and they have Protein and on my plan it is completely allowed.

Agree! Beans are a good kind of carb.

Yes! It’s difficult enough to get the Protein in. Six months post surgery and carbs are so hard on my stomach I still avoid bread, rice, Pasta etc. It’s good as I don’t need them, but every so often I’d like a few bites without stomach pain.

On 31.10.2017 at 7:13 PM, FluffyChix said:

If you're fighting the urge to snack and graze, you're eating too high carb/too high glycemic.

Or not enough calories...

16 hours ago, Savagegirl said:

Yes! It’s difficult enough to get the Protein in. Six months post surgery and carbs are so hard on my stomach I still avoid bread, rice, Pasta etc. It’s good as I don’t need them, but every so often I’d like a few bites without stomach pain.

Yes the carbs 3 wks post op for me we’re so awfully hard on my tummy & the next day I was so extremely distended that I actually called the surgeons office concerned maybe I sprung a leak in my staple line..? Granted, this was just my first attempt at a few small portions of Beans in the Soup, so it must be that for my particular body it’s just not settling as well as Proteins. It’s a great source of Protein but was just so hard on my tummy. I couldn’t eat anything the next day except an egg I was so sick. Never had this issue before either. Anyway I’ll give them a try again in a couple months & stick w/ more protein for now.