Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diarrhea after bypass surgery.

Did anyone else get this, seems every 2 to 3 hours a have go. Wandering if it happened to you how long did it last. Trying to make sure I have 4oz of Fluid every hour with alarms on the phone etc. But would love to know if this happened and how long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Immediately after gastric bypass surgery, I became lactose intolerant. Any time I tried to drink/eat anything with lactose such as milk, it quickly lead to an upset stomach and then diarrhea. This condition lasted for around 2 months and then resolved itself.

Also if you haven't already, it might be a good idea to take Probiotics. Generally in the hospital, you received antibiotics. This killed not only the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria in you gut. Therefore it is a good idea to reestablish the colonies of good bacteria after surgery by taking probiotics.

Did anyone else get this, seems every 2 to 3 hours a have go. Wandering if it happened to you how long did it last. Trying to make sure I have 4oz of Fluid every hour with alarms on the phone etc. But would love to know if this happened and how long.

How long ago did u have the procedure?

Oddly enough, for the past week (since last Monday, 16th), i have had upset stomach and diahrea. Regular diarhea, like every 2-3 hrs like u. Im beyond exhausted at this point. Im 30 days post op, so i don't think it has to do with my procedure...but I'm starting to question. I haven't been able to eat anything. I'm only able to drink my Premiers but even that's starting to become less and less. I've had so much diarhea and upset stomach that I've lost 11lbs since this all started last monday. Not good. Stomach bug or procedure related? Ive even tried Pepto and Imodium, neither has worked to stop this craziness. [emoji40][emoji30][emoji13]🤤

Thoughts anyone?

How long ago did u have the procedure?

Oddly enough, for the past week (since last Monday, 16th), i have had upset stomach and diahrea. Regular diarhea, like every 2-3 hrs like u. Im beyond exhausted at this point. Im 30 days post op, so i don't think it has to do with my procedure...but I'm starting to question. I haven't been able to eat anything. I'm only able to drink my Premiers but even that's starting to become less and less. I've had so much diarhea and upset stomach that I've lost 11lbs since this all started last monday. Not good. Stomach bug or procedure related? Ive even tried Pepto and Imodium, neither has worked to stop this craziness. [emoji40][emoji30][emoji13]🤤

Thoughts anyone?

OMG....GET TO THE HOSPITAL!!

I just got out for the same thing turns out I developed Colitis and C-diff which is contagious. It can develop after surgery if you were on antibiotics for a length of time. My doctor told me not everyone gets it but there are those few whose body becomes the perfect storm for this bacterial infection to grow and become bad fast....

Your symptoms are exactly what I was feeling, tired, stomach cramps, diarrhea, couldn't keep anything down. I tried Imodium too before going to the doctor but it did nothing....

So again I say Get to the hospital asap!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

OMG....GET TO THE HOSPITAL!!

I just got out for the same thing turns out I developed Colitis and C-diff which is contagious. It can develop after surgery if you were on antibiotics for a length of time. My doctor told me not everyone gets it but there are those few whose body becomes the perfect storm for this bacterial infection to grow and become bad fast....

Your symptoms are exactly what I was feeling, tired, stomach cramps, diarrhea, couldn't keep anything down. I tried Imodium too before going to the doctor but it did nothing....

So again I say Get to the hospital asap!!

Okay my symptoms started on a Saturday, I woke up to take my son to a soccer game and felt drained, just thought I was tired from a busy week. Went to the game then came immediately home. Drank a shake thinking just get some Protein in and I would feel better, nope. I slept the Saturday away only to wake up to go to the bathroom, i.e. runs, and try to drink something all along while my stomach was rolling, gurgling and slight cramping. Felt slightly better on Sunday but still having problems eating and drinking. By this time I wad barely getting in 48oz. Of Water. On Monday I went to work and could barely make 1/2 the day when the pain hit. I was able to leave and intended to go home but upon not being able to reach my regular Dr. Nor my surgeon my mother told me to go to the ER. Glad I did, as soon as I walked in I was a mess. They got me checked in, started an IV, took blood, chest xray then finally a Cat scan. That's when I found out it was colitis. Told me I wasn't leaving and sent me to observation to wait on a bed. They gave me morphine for the pain. From there another test of my stools to find out I was positive for C-Diff. So to an isolated hotel room I went. Symptoms are:

Pain areas: in the abdomen
Gastrointestinal: diarrhea, bloating, or blood in stool
Also common: fever

If you have these, which I never got to the blood one I strongly urge you to go to the er, It's no joke. Had I waited longer and gone home and not the er my doctor said it could have been worse. It was getting into my blood stream...

If you have this all I can say is, if you are religious, be patient and pray, I got very upset and emotional. Being confined to your hospital room while before people come in your room.hsve to put on gowns over their clothes and wear gloves was not a good feeling, but when you hear why you will understand.

Okay my symptoms started on a Saturday, I woke up to take my son to a soccer game and felt drained, just thought I was tired from a busy week. Went to the game then came immediately home. Drank a shake thinking just get some Protein in and I would feel better, nope. I slept the Saturday away only to wake up to go to the bathroom, i.e. runs, and try to drink something all along while my stomach was rolling, gurgling and slight cramping. Felt slightly better on Sunday but still having problems eating and drinking. By this time I wad barely getting in 48oz. Of Water. On Monday I went to work and could barely make 1/2 the day when the pain hit. I was able to leave and intended to go home but upon not being able to reach my regular Dr. Nor my surgeon my mother told me to go to the ER. Glad I did, as soon as I walked in I was a mess. They got me checked in, started an IV, took blood, chest xray then finally a Cat scan. That's when I found out it was colitis. Told me I wasn't leaving and sent me to observation to wait on a bed. They gave me morphine for the pain. From there another test of my stools to find out I was positive for C-Diff. So to an isolated hotel room I went. Symptoms are:

Pain areas: in the abdomen
Gastrointestinal: diarrhea, bloating, or blood in stool
Also common: fever

If you have these, which I never got to the blood one I strongly urge you to go to the er, It's no joke. Had I waited longer and gone home and not the er my doctor said it could have been worse. It was getting into my blood stream...

If you have this all I can say is, if you are religious, be patient and pray, I got very upset and emotional. Being confined to your hospital room while before people come in your room.hsve to put on gowns over their clothes and wear gloves was not a good feeling, but when you hear why you will understand.

How far postop were u when u got this?

I talked to the doctor as my surgery was just on the 16th. He was thinking that since it is not to much at a time it is just what my body cannot take in. Yesterday was better only a couple of times and almost made it the whole night. Hoping for each day to be better.

How far postop were u when u got this?

Not quite 4 weeks, I got a yeast infection from the antibiotics after surgery and they put me on MORE antibiotics and that is when my doctor said I became the perfect breeding ground for the infection... because I was thinking at first food poisoning, but after tracking down what all happened after surgery he narrowed it down to the antibiotics. He just some people get it and some don't depends on the person and the circumstances.

I talked to the doctor as my surgery was just on the 16th. He was thinking that since it is not to much at a time it is just what my body cannot take in. Yesterday was better only a couple of times and almost made it the whole night. Hoping for each day to be better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using

Hi woodsgal79 -I think i had the same issue you did, but mine was the day after my surgery, while i was still in the hosp. It was very weird, extremely liquidy and almost like Water. But it was odorous and had a bit of brown in the toilet. At any rate, I woke up to it being all in my bed. It was so much and so watery in my body that i guess i couldn't hold it in my sleep. I was so embarrassed!! I also talked to my doc whrn he came to check in on me and he wasnt worried. I guess the same thing may have happened to me too, my body just couldnt take all the liquids!

You will be just fine and it'll stop before u know it! Best of luck to you!

Not quite 4 weeks, I got a yeast infection from the antibiotics after surgery and they put me on MORE antibiotics and that is when my doctor said I became the perfect breeding ground for the infection... because I was thinking at first food poisoning, but after tracking down what all happened after surgery he narrowed it down to the antibiotics. He just some people get it and some don't depends on the person and the circumstances.

Scary stuff!
Thank u for the info. Glad ur ok now! I hope this isnt what i have. I didnt have additional or excessive antibiotics that i know of. Anyway, fingers crossed i get better soon too.

Yes it does happen to me.you need to have low calorie Gatorade or the powder equivalent because u can get very dehydrated when u lose nutrients and fluids upon going fast