Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting protein in post-op

4 hours ago, Rose400491 said:

I expect everything to be “perfect” just simply I’ve been on the same Protein Shake for 3 weeks and was looking for suggestions to spice it up

Okay, sorry if I had any misunderstanding of that.

I have three* brands of shakes with a range of flavours for each so that I hope the rut syndrome is avoided. I have enough, I think to get me close to New Year without restocking.

Optifast by Nestle - chocolate (22), vanilla (22), strawberry (17), banana (16), Caramel (14)

Isowhey - Ivory Coast Chocolate (42), Madagascan Vanilla (42), Strawberry (21), Banana (21)

Optislim Rapid - Chocolate (21), Vanilla (21), Strawberry (21), Banana (21)

Optislim Optiman Smooth Chocolate - (11)

So, at three serves (maybe four) per day, I have a good stockpile to see me through. Chances are that I will make it through RUT-free.

You might want to try Unjury chicken Soup. It is 21 g of Protein and it is savory instead of sweet...I found it very easy to get down. I'm more concerned about you posting that you only got down 3/4 of a bottle of Water. I don' t know how many ounces that is, but water is your number 1 concern right now...you need to try to get as close to 64 oz per day of fluids...way more important than the protein in the first few weeks.

You might want to try Unjury chicken Soup. It is 21 g of Protein and it is savory instead of sweet...I found it very easy to get down. I'm more concerned about you posting that you only got down 3/4 of a bottle of Water. I don' t know how many ounces that is, but water is your number 1 concern right now...you need to try to get as close to 64 oz per day of fluids...way more important than the protein in the first few weeks.

I’m slowly getting more and more down! I can have one full water bottle now (my water bottle is 30fl oz)

21 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Yes...., BUT.....,

For the time you aren't getting all your Protein in your body is cannibalizing your muscles to get the protein it needs to heal. You NEED protein to HEAL. It's medicine. To heal your staple line and your laparoscopic holes. The sooner you get it in the less muscle mass you will lose.

Yes fluids are important too for dehydration, but Fluid Protein Shakes count too! Why not try for both?

I almost recommended the protein hot chocolate too, but I pulled out my box and the top sources of protein on it include hydrolyzed Gelatin which isn't a great source for a healing body it's not very bioavailabile. And I'd recommend anyone considering GENEPRO do a bit of reading and research.... it's quite controversial.

I have checked GENEPRO out I also got kicked in the teeth from some on here. Also, when I said to concentrate on her fluids I am just stating what my DR and Nutritionist had told me. Yes, Protein Drinks count as fluids so I agree there try and try again. But...like I said it doesn't take long to become dehydrated which in turn is horrible. When your fluids up she may feel like she can add more of her protein. There are other nonflavored Proteins out there. I think INJURY carries one. Whatever it takes. I'm sorry if I offended anyone on here. I will still use my GENEPRO. It works for me!! Have a good one!!

43 minutes ago, CJ Sunshine said:

You might want to try unjury chicken Soup. It is 21 g of Protein and it is savory instead of sweet...I found it very easy to get down. I'm more concerned about you posting that you only got down 3/4 of a bottle of Water. I don' t know how many ounces that is, but Water is your number 1 concern right now...you need to try to get as close to 64 oz per day of fluids...way more important than the Protein in the first few weeks.

EXACTLY!!! This is what I got a post about. Water is the single most important thing at first the protein will come later.

7 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

EXACTLY!!! This is what I got a post about. Water is the single most important thing at first the Protein will come later.

You are 100% right....My doctor emphasized hydration as being more important than food in the early stages. Obviously, one needs to work on both, but dehydration is the number 1 complication that puts people back in the hospital after weight loss surgery.

4 hours ago, shedo82773 said:

just stating what my DR and Nutritionist had told me. Yes, Protein Drinks count as fluids so I agree there try and try again.

Correct.

It's almost universal that the pre-fab Protein Shakes or the powder-mix ones with Water added count in one's water/fluid calculation each day ... as does dairy milk, almond milk, juices, liquid egg whites, etc.

Yes hydration is number one, I was just saying "but..." to the don't worry about Protein yet part.

Hydration first, but you can do both at the same time. Since Protein Shakes are liquid, why not?

Hello! I’m new to BariatricPal I just joined today.
I’m 19 years old and I just got a gastric sleeve on October 17th. I’m currently post-op day 5. The first few days were really rough all I was eating was ice chips. My dietitian said in the beginning I’ll only be able to get down 1 or 2 Premier Protein shakes but so far I’ve only been able to get down half a shake and a half or 3/4 bottle of Water.< br>I have minimal pain but only on my right side and my stomach is pretty numb to touch by my belly button. I’m feeling good other than being tired and drained because I’m not getting enough nutrients. I’m also taking two Multi Vitamins a day along with gas and pain pills if needed.
I need some tips on just getting these shakes down. My dietitian said I can add fruits to my shakes as long as they don’t have seeds in them (I.E bananas, peaches, mangos, blueberries). After the surgery the Protein Shakes are gross to me and it’s hard for me to just sip sip sip all day on something I don’t enjoy

Take sips through an hour if you have to. It’s slow going at first. Your body is still recovering. I’m not sure about mixing fruit in the shake. I heard that’s to much sugar, plus it’s filling and you need to get the Protein in first. One Premier Shake is 30 grams and one Isopure drink is 40 grams and that’s your protein for the day. It may take from 7 am to 1 to get the protein in then you can work on fitting in water.

20 hours ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Correct.

It's almost universal that the pre-fab Protein Shakes or the powder-mix ones with Water added count in one's water/fluid calculation each day ... as does dairy milk, almond milk, juices, liquid egg whites, etc.

My Surgeon neglected to tell me this after my RNY. I also was told that anything that could be blended was ok to eat. Which I knew he didn't mean chocolate candy bars. LOL

I don't enjoy the Protein Shakes at all and can only tolerate a few of them--Premier chocolate isn't too bad. But the answer for me has often been Protein Water, which is much much easier to handle, in my opinion. I've been drinking Atkins LIFT protein water, but haven't found it since I moved recently and am considering some of the other brands, which I can find online. The bonus of being able to count it as both water and protein doesn't hurt, either.

21 hours ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Correct.

Ok so I didn't get that memo like I said they didn't say anything to me about it until I complained about trying to meet my fluid goals. It is very strange at how things get to you. Look it took you to tell me that I was kind of DUMB, more than once. It seems like you center me out to give me SH**. Have a nice evening

37 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

It seems like you center me out to give me SH**. Have a nice evening

It might have escaped your attention but I was not dishing out **** to you or at you or about you. My comment in reply to yours was AGREEING with YOURS and supporting and amplifying what you had just said.

YOU said: Yes, Protein Drinks count as fluids so I agree there try and try again.

I replied: Correct. It's almost universal that the pre-fab Protein Shakes or the powder-mix ones with Water added count in one's water/fluid calculation each day ... as does dairy milk, almond milk, juices, liquid egg whites, etc.

I am hoping you would not read it any other way. Perhaps you just had a hypersensitive moment for whatever reason. It was certainly meant as nothing to shame or belittle you. I just paraphrased what was in my clinic's pre-op booklet. (AMPLIFICATION!)

As for wishing me a nice evening, we are many time-zones apart. It's pre-lunch Wednesday here. Thank you.

23 hours ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

It might have escaped your attention but I was not dishing out **** to you or at you or about you. My comment in reply to yours was AGREEING with YOURS and supporting and amplifying what you had just said.

YOU said: Yes, Protein Drinks count as fluids so I agree there try and try again.

I replied: Correct. It's almost universal that the pre-fab Protein Shakes or the powder-mix ones with Water added count in one's water/fluid calculation each day ... as does dairy milk, almond milk, juices, liquid egg whites, etc.

I am hoping you would not read it any other way. Perhaps you just had a hypersensitive moment for whatever reason. It was certainly meant as nothing to shame or belittle you. I just paraphrased what was in my clinic's pre-op booklet. (AMPLIFICATION!)

As for wishing me a nice evening, we are many time-zones apart. It's pre-lunch Wednesday here. Thank you.

Hi, with my tail between my legs!!!! I am sorry that I blew up yesterday. I really didn't realize you were agreeing with me. I think I just took it as me being stupid or dumb. I will say this, when we read something someone poets it is really hard to get the true meaning of it. I just kind of jumped out there being defensive again. I can be a little quick to the gun to defend mine and myself. Again, I am sorry. let this be GONE!! OK

2 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

I am sorry that I blew up yesterday. I really didn't realize you were agreeing with me.

2 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

I can be a little quick to the gun to defend mine and myself. Again, I am sorry. let this be GONE!

Thank you. Your humility is welcome.