Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting protein in post-op

Hello! I’m new to BariatricPal I just joined today.

I’m 19 years old and I just got a gastric sleeve on October 17th. I’m currently post-op day 5. The first few days were really rough all I was eating was ice chips. My dietitian said in the beginning I’ll only be able to get down 1 or 2 Premier Protein shakes but so far I’ve only been able to get down half a shake and a half or 3/4 bottle of Water.< /p>

I have minimal pain but only on my right side and my stomach is pretty numb to touch by my belly button. I’m feeling good other than being tired and drained because I’m not getting enough nutrients. I’m also taking two Multi Vitamins a day along with gas and pain pills if needed.

I need some tips on just getting these shakes down. My dietitian said I can add fruits to my shakes as long as they don’t have seeds in them (I.E bananas, peaches, mangos, blueberries). After the surgery the Protein Shakes are gross to me and it’s hard for me to just sip sip sip all day on something I don’t enjoy

You have to keep trying till you find a shake you can tolerate. And by tolerate I mean it doesn't make you gag or throw up.... you don't have to LIKE it.

Then just suck it up and keep drinking it, honestly. It's medicine. Think of it that way! Tell yourself it's only a few weeks you can do anything for a few weeks!

Try it hot like hot chocolate or blend it with ice. Dilute it so it's thinner. Experiment with textures and temperatures and brands.

But most of all tell yourself it's medicine, you need it for healing and strength. This will pass!

Hot chocolateeeeeeee...makes note to self. :) Thanks @jess9395!

99% of bariatric patients seem to be able to tolerate Protein Shakes. I couldn't. I just couldn't.

So.. I got my Protein early on through milk. Now, I'm lucky milk didn't bother me, but LOTS of patients have issues with milk. Sometimes it's all milk, and sometimes it's just the stuff with lactose (so they can tolerate lactose-free milk and there are lots of alternative types of milk.. nut milks, etc. Read labels for protein and sugar content.).

Bone Broth (store bought or slow-simmered homemade) has a lot of protein in it as well. broth is considered a clear liquid, whereas milk is a full liquid.

Even though I couldn't do regular protein shakes, protein kefir was more tolerable (40g in 16oz!).

Broth doesn't have sugar in it, but milk and kefir both have a lot of naturally occuring sugar (and the protein kefir I found had added sugar as well). Most programs caution patients against consuming too many sugars. Dumping could be an issue for some. Diabetics could have issues with blood sugar problems. Mostly sugar is just thought to slow weight loss.

I wasn't diabetic, and it turned out that I don't dump (you won't know until you try stuff). I didn't care about weight loss during the healing period.. so I chose to not worry about those natural sugars. Once I was onto solid foods, I was able to decrease the amount of liquid dairy (sugar) I consumed.

This is where you have to pick the path that is right for YOU. The most important thing during the healing period is to not advance the texture of your food (liquid, purees, soft, etc.). The next most important thing is to meet your protein and fluid goals however you have to.

It's like a full time job these first weeks, figuring out what will work for you.

Good luck!

(Jess has some excellent advice about how to make protein shakes more palatable.. try those first before ditching protein shakes altogether).

During the first few weeks after surgery, you stomach is in a major heal mode. Many patients find it difficult to meet their daily Protein requirements during this very early stage. Just keep trying to reach your goal and you should be able to get there soon.

Many experience problems drinking Protein Shakes. I hated them. But in the beginning I drank them, three 16-ounce protein shakes a day, in order to meet my protein requirements. You do not have to like protein shakes only tolerate them. There are many varieties of protein shakes available today. Experiment until you can find one you can tolerate. You don't have to like it, just tolerate it. I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) powder blended with Water and a half a banana. That worked for me. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, you might try premixed Isopure. There are also some protein powders that can be added to your foods. I didn't try these but others on this site reported using them.

FOCUS on your FLUIDS!!! Your Protein will come as you get further out. You definitely want to get your Water in, it doesn't take us long to become dehydrated. As far as the Protein Drinks, they have a hot chocolate thru BariatricPal and it as 15grams of protein in it. They also sell chicken Noodle Soup (I just didn't eat the noodles myself) it also has 15grams of protein. My favorite is GENEPRO also sold on BariatricPal. It is the only unflavored Protein I have found that I can handle. I would hate to find out how much $$ I actually paid for Protein that I couldn't handle. My nephew uses Protein, so at least my $$ wasn't totally wasted!! KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!

Hello! I’m new to BariatricPal I just joined today.
I’m 19 years old and I just got a gastric sleeve on October 17th. I’m currently post-op day 5. The first few days were really rough all I was eating was ice chips. My dietitian said in the beginning I’ll only be able to get down 1 or 2 Premier Protein shakes but so far I’ve only been able to get down half a shake and a half or 3/4 bottle of Water.< br>I have minimal pain but only on my right side and my stomach is pretty numb to touch by my belly button. I’m feeling good other than being tired and drained because I’m not getting enough nutrients. I’m also taking two Multi Vitamins a day along with gas and pain pills if needed.
I need some tips on just getting these shakes down. My dietitian said I can add fruits to my shakes as long as they don’t have seeds in them (I.E bananas, peaches, mangos, blueberries). After the surgery the Protein Shakes are gross to me and it’s hard for me to just sip sip sip all day on something I don’t enjoy

Congrats on the brave choice to have this done so young! Your future is so bright! I had mine on the 13th and quickly discovered I was not able to down half as much as I had goaled. Don’t even worry about it. Just try to stay as hydrated as possible. The first couple days I could only down about 4/6oz of Protein Shake a day. I’m at day 9 and if I pace myself I can get though an entire bottle. Everyone’s systems are different. Protein intake will come Once you can tolerate a wider variety of foods. For now rest, walk, and stay hydrated! You’ll do great!!!

FOCUS on your FLUIDS!!! Your Protein will come as you get further out. You definitely want to get your Water in, it doesn't take us long to become dehydrated. As far as the Protein drinks, they have a hot chocolate thru BariatricPal and it as 15grams of protein in it. They also sell chicken Noodle Soup (I just didn't eat the noodles myself) it also has 15grams of protein. My favorite is GENEPRO also sold on BariatricPal. It is the only unflavored Protein I have found that I can handle. I would hate to find out how much $$ I actually paid for Protein that I couldn't handle. My nephew uses Protein, so at least my $$ wasn't totally wasted!! KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!

Yes...., BUT.....,

For the time you aren't getting all your protein in your body is cannibalizing your muscles to get the protein it needs to heal. You NEED protein to HEAL. It's medicine. To heal your staple line and your laparoscopic holes. The sooner you get it in the less muscle mass you will lose.

Yes fluids are important too for dehydration, but Fluid Protein Shakes count too! Why not try for both?

I almost recommended the protein hot chocolate too, but I pulled out my box and the top sources of protein on it include hydrolyzed Gelatin which isn't a great source for a healing body it's not very bioavailabile. And I'd recommend anyone considering Genepro do a bit of reading and research.... it's quite controversial.

One of the things my nut recommended was to use one of the clear Proteins and Water the hell down and flavor it with water drops. Then just literally sip on it all day. You'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You'll get Fluid in and get quality Protein in at the same time. She said don't worry about the continual nutrition in the early days--that it's more important to hit the daily protein goal rather than worry about "eating something all day long."

I have Isopure RTD Zero Carb in Grape Frost, Alpine Punch and also in Green Tea flavors. If I drink them full strength they are truly gag-worthy. Hoooooo doggy! So bad. But if you dilute them at least 50/50 with water (if not more) and then add water drops--I use the sf koolaid flavors, you barely notice they are there. 1 bottle gives you 40g of protein in 20fl oz. So 1 bottle could give you 40fl oz of your 64oz min liquid requirement while also giving you about 2/3rds of your protein needs for the day. I dilute the Green Tea flavor with real decaff tea in any flavor--love celestial season's red zinger with it in there.

I gag and can NOT drink any Protein Shakes. Except Bariatric Pal Cookies & Cream. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you everyone!!! I blended my chocolate shake with ice and half of a banana and it helped a lot! I was able to get down a whole shake finally!!

10 hours ago, jess9395 said:

you don't have to LIKE it.

Then just suck it up and keep drinking it, honestly. It's medicine. Think of it that way! Tell yourself it's only a few weeks you can do anything for a few weeks!

An attitude I wish I saw more often on Bariatric Pal. Congratulations.

That's largely how I look at it too.

I am saddened by the people who feel that everything must be 'perfect' for their taste buds or they won't use it even if it can do the job.

Power to you, jess9395.

An attitude I wish I saw more often on Bariatric Pal. Congratulations.
That's largely how I look at it too.
I am saddened by the people who feel that everything must be 'perfect' for their taste buds or they won't use it even if it can do the job.
Power to you, jess9395.

I did not mean to imply that I expect everything to be “perfect” just simply I’ve been on the same Protein Shake for 3 weeks and was looking for suggestions to spice it up and get myself to get more Protein down post op everyone must admit if you’re on the same drink 3 times a day everyday for 3 weeks it gets challenging after awhile