Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 30th Bandsters? Smoking?

12 days till surgery? :whoo:

Started pre op today, its been tough! and to top it off not only a headache but my monthlies decided to visit today ,, made pre op diet even harder but glad they came so i wont have to worry about having them during surgery days......im so unbearable today , no body likes me ive been so grumpy............:)

love to hear from others whom are having their surgery on october 30th ..:bounce:

would love to know if other smokers have quit prior to surgery and how many days or weeks before?:help: i cant quit!

I quit smoking two days before my surgery (I was only required one pre-op diet day, so I quit the day before that)...I figured it would only make sense to do so with all the talk of having the procedure done to be healthier. Of course, it's only been 5 days since the surgery and I couldn't tell you how hard it'll be once I'm back in my social scene. But I can tell you that getting banded has motivated me and this is as confident as I've ever EVER felt, compared to the other times I've tried to quit.

No better time than now to make other big changes in life...:whoo:

That cracks me up because I'm in the SAME BOAT! I've been on this #$%$ pre-op diet for 12 days and I'm surprised I have any friends left! I also quit smoking about 6 weeks ago, just as I began the whole Lap-Band process. I feel as though I've given up everything that ever made me happy (nicotine, food and alcohol). I've been very grumpy the last week, or so, but, I can honestly say it has gotten a little better. Perhaps since I know the end is near (my surgery is tomorrow), and hopefully I'll have some relief from this constant hunger. I've apologized to all my close friends and family about 100 times. I keep telling them to bear with me, I'll snap out of it. Thankfully they've all stuck around (haha!).

Just keep focused on your surgery date, it'll all be worth it, right? Now I'm so nervous about tomorrow, all I want to do is smoke. I'm just a crazy mess. Just know that you're not alone!

Hi All,

Quit smoking 3 days ago - being banded November 9th. Felt it was best since smoking can complicate anesthesia.

Maria

Another good point. When I told my anesthesiologist that I smoked (of course he wouldn't believe I quit cuz I did so just two days pre op), he nodded his head and warned me that I was going to cough up a lot of "goop" after surgery. Only thing is, I also went under with a cough and recent chest congestion, so I don't know if the post op goop is because of the smoking, cough, or normal post op lung action.

Coughing after having the procedure is NOT fun. I told my husband I'd rather have given birth 4 times than endure my so far 5 days of pain from coughing.

That cracks me up because I'm in the SAME BOAT! I've been on this #$%$ pre-op diet for 12 days and I'm surprised I have any friends left! I also quit smoking about 6 weeks ago, just as I began the whole Lap-Band process. I feel as though I've given up everything that ever made me happy (nicotine, food and alcohol). I've been very grumpy the last week, or so, but, I can honestly say it has gotten a little better. Perhaps since I know the end is near (my surgery is tomorrow), and hopefully I'll have some relief from this constant hunger. I've apologized to all my close friends and family about 100 times. I keep telling them to bear with me, I'll snap out of it. Thankfully they've all stuck around (haha!).

Just keep focused on your surgery date, it'll all be worth it, right? Now I'm so nervous about tomorrow, all I want to do is smoke. I'm just a crazy mess. Just know that you're not alone!

Isn't it funny how some people are put on 12 days pre op diets and some one only one? I was DYING on my ONE pre op day of liquids. I applaud you for doing 12.:clap2:

I'm having a hard time quitting. Have tried twice now and made it as far as two days. Only smoking 3-4 a day, but that's 3-4 too many.

Tomorrow is another day! I have a box of Patches for the next attempt.

Ginaki,

I am scheduled on Nov 1st and I quit smoking a week ago after I learned about surgery date! I am also struggling with the pre op! HORRIBLE thing! I dont know what else should I do to make it faster my scale doesnt really move...and I am eating below 500 a day!

I am grumpy and mad as well!

Yahnkeerobin,

I am jelous of your strenght! I gave up all those things too and I am so depressed because my 15 pounds looksing process is a hassle and I can not imagin that I will reach it! whats gonna happened if not? did they deny my surgery? I am already set up with friends and wirk for that! aaauch! so frustrated I have 2 weeks and 15 pounds to go!!! I wonna cry..

Anyway good luck with your surgery!

My surgery date is the 31st, and I just started my pre-op diet. :) Last week when I talked to my surgeon I asked him about the smoking thing. He said it takes at least 2-3 weeks for your lungs to start to heal and during that time you cough a lot of junk up. (which I remember from when I tried to quit before) So, he said if I haven't quit by now, not to until after you heal. He said he REALLY doesn't want me to cough a lot post-op. Of course, he added that the surgical center won't release me until my oxygen levels are where they need to be and smoking can make that difficult, so I might have to spend more time in the center. I just figured if I tried to quit smoking, stay on a low-carb diet, and prepare for life-changing surgery all at once I would probably end up on the front page of the newspaper with a headline that reads

"IRATE WOMAN KILLS EVERYONE IN HER PATH!"

guys thanx all so much,, i admire u all..... well i better get cracking and quit cause i got 11 days to heal my lungs...lol

Anyone re started after surgery?

its gonna be a tuff one hey, the fact that we need to be on liquids after op, and not being able to turn to our cigarettes,,looks like my social life needs a rest hey,, im going into hibernation.......

omg, i sound like an obsessed smoker..but when im on diets , my menthols (cigarettes) are my comfort,,, Water and smoke,,,,,,gets me through the day....

u all need a big star,, well done .............

he he he yes! we drop food we drop cigarettes and alcohol and all my friend events are killing me since everybody eat drink and smoke...there is not much left...specially if you are not in relationship...

he he he yes! we drop food we drop cigarettes and alcohol and all my friend events are killing me since everybody eat drink and smoke...there is not much left...specially if you are not in relationship...

Aha! But there is a lifetime of good health and a hot body ahead of you :(

I was fortunate enough to have friends go on the liquid diet for both my one pre op and 10 post op days and at least one friend to quit smoking with me. Feels great, but I know they're dying too and once we all get together I have a feeling we'll all get to the point where we say "Ehh...one won't be too bad." And it begins (again) from there...

:heh:

Hi everyone! I too was a smoker and quit about 4mos prior to being banded on 10/9/07. I quit cold turkey and never missed it. Don't ask me how because my husband still smoked but went outside to smoke when I quit.

I tried to lose 15-20 lbs before the surgery but of course that didnt happen! I ate what I could. ha ha I did manage to lose 5lbs.

I was only given 1 day for the pre op liquid diet and I was like whoa! That was hard!

I'm still on a full liquid diet and can't wait for the mushys!

On a more serious note during my surgery my lungs collapsed, I'm not sure why or if its something that happens more times than not, but I had a hard time getting my lungs to go back to 100% capacity. So they kept me overnight in the hospital. I glad to say I have no urge to pick the habit back up. They never said why this happened but I think it was because I smoked for so long.

Try your best to quit so you won't encounter any problems.

I too feel as if I've given up everything that has ever given me pleasure, well not everything LOL. I try not to get sad about what I have given up though. I have my days. I do a lot of praying for strength. I also thank God for pulling me through surgery.

This is a great message board!

Good luck to all!!!