Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Firearm muscle memory

I was at a range recently, and getting closer to the surgery time period, it dawned on to me that my muscle memory might change. I am not s professional, just a hobbyist, but I do want I can to develop muscle memory so if I ever need to rely on it under pressure, it's in my corner.

Can post-op make subtle changes to posture, stance, grip, reflexes? I go to the range to get better, and correct squeezing to hard at the trigger break. And it dawned on me, with a total body composure change over a year and more that it could change how I shoot. Not so worried about a holster draw, but with a much smaller waist, I know I will have to relearn it.

If it will have an impact, then perhaps I will need to budget a red dot for my firearm.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

It's not the same, but I've been going to boxing regularly and getting sporadic lessons. I can tell you that I've had to "relearn" some technique as I'm much lighter on my feet. I was tripping over my own feet, so some movements weren't correct anymore, if that makes sense. Its definitely worth it though. I think the actual pose/stance might be ok though, you might be looser with more mobility.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

Yep, definitely have to relearn. I was never a clumsy person, but now I am! If you start working out doing yoga type stuff, it will assuredly help. I don't work out (yet), and I know that's a lot of my problem.

I was at a range recently, and getting closer to the surgery time period, it dawned on to me that my muscle memory might change. I am not s professional, just a hobbyist, but I do want I can to develop muscle memory so if I ever need to rely on it under pressure, it's in my corner.
Can post-op make subtle changes to posture, stance, grip, reflexes? I go to the range to get better, and correct squeezing to hard at the trigger break. And it dawned on me, with a total body composure change over a year and more that it could change how I shoot. Not so worried about a holster draw, but with a much smaller waist, I know I will have to relearn it.
If it will have an impact, then perhaps I will need to budget a red dot for my firearm.
Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

Great insight wjgo! There will be adjustments all around it’s good that your mind is looking forward in presentation and going with the flow. I used to hit the edges of doorways when I gained weight fast and their was no time for adjustment. I guess the reverse is true. My sister last a lot of weight and had a difficult time crossing over to the ‘normal’ section. She ultimately left the store. Change is challenging. If it was easy everyone would have no complaints. We can take the control back and create the body and life we deserve. I’m sure you will be able to use all your skills to be at the current level of expertise you strive for.