Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain After Surgery & General Questions

Hi all:

My RNY surgery date is approaching, November 13, and I am trying to prepare myself for what I should be expecting pain-wise. I have heard a lot of conflicting information when doing my research - some people say they had very little pain, some people said the pain was terrible. I was hoping to get some feedback from the message boards from people who have gone through it. I'm sure it's different for everyone since everyone has different pain tolerances. Do you get pain medication when you go home? I wasn't sure if they give that to you since your body will digest things differently.

I was also wondering what I should take to the hospital and if there is anything specific I am going to want to take with me. Again, I'm sure this will be different for everyone, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks, everyone!

I had my bypass a week ago today. The first day was horrible for me, and the next two to three days were very rough. By fourth day was feeling much better and able to start getting some Protein down. It's very difficult to sleep because you hurt on both sides and my back hurts after laying on it so much. I was sent home with liquid Tylenol with codeine. Honestly haven't taken it very much at all last three days. I am sure you will do fine though. I did get up and walk a lot every day and did not have ave the gas pains.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure everyone's experience is different, so I probably won't ever really know how it will feel until I go through it. I had my gallbladder removed two years ago, and it wasn't too bad afterward. The attacks were agony, but it just felt like I did a bunch of sit-ups afterward. I'm hoping it will be like that, crossing my fingers. Glad to hear you're doing well post-op!

I had no pain from the surgery . My worst pains were a stiff neck and sore shoulder. The gas pains were pretty awful starting about 30 hours out. But I felt well enough 3 days out to walk on the beach for a few min and go to costco. Then the next day I had my follow up, and a 11 hour car ride home. No real issues, except gas. I did get pain meds, but only took 1 night, because that's what many seem to do. Best wishes!

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

The worst day was the first few days for me after that it wasn't so bad but I have a high pain tolerance and heal pretty fast. After like day 5 I was fine. I was still tired and didn't have much of an appetite but the pain wasn't even there anymore.

Everyone's experience with this is different. Who knows, you may not even have that much pain. Some people say they just have a lot of discomfort.

Hw-273
Sw-226
CW-158
GW-130
Size- 4 or 6, Small in sweats. Large in shirts... Could be a medium. depends on how it's cut or made.

Surgery Date- April 26th, 2017
RNY
"Only those who try will become" FFX

I had my surgery two weeks ago and had no major problems. I had pain meds in the hospital but my pain was never over a “4” and by day two I only used liquid Tylenol, which I never needed when I got home. I did have an annoying pain on the top of my left shoulder that came and went. I was told something about it being a gas pain from being pumped with air during the surgery. That went away by day 9. Another slightly uncomfortable pain was on the my left side of my belly button where there was a small incision. It would take my breath away when I bent over, like to tie shoes or shave my legs. That too was short lived, like it went away within two minutes and that only happened 5-6 times.

All I can say is drink your sips of Water and walk. The dr told me those two things were important and it sure paid off for me!

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences! I'm sure this will be a situation where I won't know what it will be like until I actually experience it. It's nice to hear that not everyone is in a lot of pain, though. Were you all sick and weak for the first couple of weeks afterward? My friend whose father had the surgery a few years ago said he was sick for the first few weeks.

I was never sick or weak. My husband wished I didn’t feel as good as I did because I had “to do” lists for every day and I power washed our whole house 9 days after surgery! For a fat lady I have always been very physically active so I think that really helped my recovery too.

I was never sick or weak. My husband wished I didn’t feel as good as I did because I had “to do” lists for every day and I power washed our whole house 9 days after surgery! For a fat lady I have always been very physically active so I think that really helped my recovery too.

Me too! Lol. I had a list and thought "now I have time to get some of this stuff done!". I did a lot of yard work, and built a storage cabinet. I wish I had taken 6 weeks off, instead of 4.....

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

The pain seems to depend on the type of incision. But u will have gas pain so bring some gas-x strips to hospital as they help. I didn't need pain killers post op just some walking and gas-x. Good luck with the surgery!! All the best!