Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long from start to finish? FRUSTRATED!

I realize insurance companies have different requirements as do doctors for this procedure. But I'm soooooooo frustrated!!

I have had my psyche eval. Next is two appts. with a nutritionist....fine. BUT, I just got my packet today and understand that I have to have a doctors supervised weight loss for 6 months!! The only doctor supervised weight loss I have had was when I was on phentermine for about 3 months with no success. They will not count all the other methods I tried like Jenny Craig, Weight watchers, etc.

I thought I had read someone on this board that some people can go from first appt to surgury in a month or less.

How long did it take you from your first seminiar, or surgeon appointment to getting a surgery date? Also, where are you from? I am so seriously thinking of going to another state to have this done or find a surgeon that will "fast track" the procedure. I have United Healthcare Insurance. Frankly, I'm not sure if this is a requirement from my insurance company or the surgeon. My sister has the same insurance and it didnt take her this long.

Any suggestions???? I'm sooooo tired of waiting. I want to have this done NOW!! (patience is not one of my virtues)

Thanks

Jacki

PS I'm in Memphis, TN

Jacki, I live in San Jose, CA and I too have United Healthcare. They didn't require a 6 month supervised diet. It took me 6-8 week so get through all the appointments and through surgery. Good luck.

I had my six-months supervised diet already completed and it STILL took me six more months to get approved, but I had issues with insurance losing my paperwork (although BCBSIL has still been the best insurance company I've ever been with) and a pulmonologist whose first available appointment was a month out. From what I hear, the people who have the surgery within a month are usually self-pay patients. The program I went through will put insurance patients on a "fast track" program if they have had a bulk of the requirements and paperwork completed and obtain insurance approval before the initial consultation.

Marie

Yes, I'm from Pennsylvania (UPMC Insurance), began my Quest back in March, and was also required by the insurance company to have six visits. (Banded last Tuesday)

And yes, I felt exactly like you do when I first found out--but here's what I discovered: these six visits to a nutritionist (actually five months time) allow you to take your time in making this decision.

Read, read, read about the changes this will make to your life--both in this site and others--this is a major decision and in the end, this insurance requirement was a blessing to me, because I surely did NOT know back in March what I knew two weeks ago before my surgery.

This preparation time is quality--take advantage of it. Believe me, the time will fly and you will appreciate this opportunity...

Oh, I can certainly sympathize with you!

Doctors and insurance companies both have their own rules on hoops to jump through on you journey. I also had to go through six months of supervised dietician and weigh-in appts. I also had problems with scheduling with someone who is uber busy and always "re-scheduling" me. I also still even have an appt tomorrow for an EKG, and pre-op - and I still don't even have a definite date yet!! Confused? I know I am!

I did just speak with my insurance case manager yesterday and we talked for a good while. She is so super nice! She promised as soon as she gets the packet from my PCP, she will fly me through. I went over all my struggles with her, and she seemed almost in awe that I had done all of this, on my own really. I had to make it happen sometimes, on my own accord when things weren't going as smoothly as I'd liked.

You and I are just alike, in that we are impatient. Also that we have to go through so much to get the procedure done. I figure I'd been going through this since early spring of this year - so come on already!

Anyway, please just hang in there. It will happen - and I completely agree with make33 above. Use this time to do as much research on this procedure as possible. I did and still am, and I find new things everyday.

Best Wishes,

Irene

My surgery is just a few weeksa away. I have to say my insurance company approved me very quickly. I knew with-in a week I was approved and three weeks before my surgeon received the approval letter. The only thing that my insurance requested is that I had tried to lose weight and it's documented by my physician. Two years ago I tried to lose weight with my doctor and dietian help. I also tried numerous of other diets.

The best advise I can give you is to work with your insurance company and don't give up. When I was looking into lapband surgery I called my insurance company before I spoke to my doctor.

Did I read that your insurance company is BCBS of Illinois? If so, please tell me about your experience with them. I am now seeing my PCP for a 6 month diet and exercise program. How long did it take you to get approved, were they difficult to deal with, etc.

I too had a 6 month supervised weight loss program to do before insurance approval. It's a pain, but do it and in 6 months you will be glad you did! I was! I am!

It took me 3 months from the seminar to the surgery. I live in WA state and have Providence insurance. I was not required to be on a diet for 6 months but I had a sleep study, EKG, psych consult, sleep study, nutritionist appt and a physical therapy appt. Oh, and I had to see their regular doc and have lots of blood work too.