Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i wondering if this only works for the first month then...it's just counting calories

Wintersunshine,

By the way, sometimes this procedure is covered by insurance. Mine was. I have Harvard Pilgrim. I had to only pay $500 copay at the hospital. Good luck with your research.

Cindy

wintersunshine: You sound like my kind of gal! I'm really impressed with how you handled this thread!

I saw my doctor for my initial consultation yesterday and will have the surgery on November 1. I had some of the same concerns you did, especially after reading some of the posts here where it sounded like people were still on diets. There's nothing wrong with that but I also wondered if this was going to be a "diet with the added threat of puking" -- sort of an "aversion-therapy diet." I asked my doctor and he said that the incidents of vomiting and sliming and getting stuck are probably over-reported here -- first, because it's not the same people every time but if everyone reported it ONCE, it would sound like a lot more incidents, and second, because we tend to come to a board like this when we need information and/or support, which we need more after a negative incident.

Anyway, his experience with his patients is that these incidents are much more rare. He's pretty conservative in how much he adds during fills -- only two unfills in four or five years! -- which means I will need to be patient about weight loss, which I am. I just want to know that it will eventually come off AND, more importantly, that it will never come back! His food schedule of Clear Liquids, full liquids/pureed foods, and soft foods lasts four to five months just so that I can get used to the band gradually and have fewer of the negative incidents. I'm all for that! The nutritionist said that I should be able to eat almost any food eventually, only in much smaller quantities. She also said that I shouldn't be hungry so if I am, I need to eat something. However, I need to make sure that it is true hunger and not "head hunger," something that will take some learning.

Good luck in your research and ultimate course of action!

:):eek::D:kiss2::D:bandit:o:sick:heh::rolleyes:nervous:rain:;):):whoo::D:straight

Thanks again to all....I will continue to read these posts and do my research for the next few weeks. Hope to have surgery in early November. There is almost no wait list here for private surgery...

How wierd to say ...i hope to have surgery. Gosh, i feel like a bit of a failure that I have had to come to this. But I know I shouldn't think that way.

I am grateful for the technology. This must be the hardcore version

of FACING onces faults etc..Facing oneself. I mean I am getting a new stomach..how crazy is that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well sisters and brothers...let's join hands and suck down some puree

lol

at least soon i will be singing this tune.

Oh one great thing..i will save hundreds of dollars on food !!!

So..how do i eat out....just Soup...or one grape??

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

let's see what develops.

Keep posting and sending me messages. I read all of it !

Very very helpful

peace

Before the band I needed to eat a large quantity of food to stave off hunger and to maintain my large body size. If I went out to eat the thin people around me would eat a 1/4 of their meal and stop and I'd have to eat the whole plate, the rolls, a side salad, etc. I knew if I didn't I would be hungry later.

The difference after the band is this: I no longer need to eat large quantities of food. I could still get in 4,000+ calories a day if I really wanted to (by eating junk and sweets or by drinking a lot of calories) but I don't have to. I can have a lean cuisine for lunch and feel full until late afternoon. Before the band I would have been hungry less than an hour later after that small serving of food. I can't pig out at buffets or family dinners any more but if I continued to eat and washed it down with something to eat I still could eat more than I should. but I don't I could eat all day - but I don't.

I don't count calories but I do watch what I eat. I know if I eat an entire quart of Ben and Jerry's (and I still could) I will be taking in about 1800 calories.

so, to sum it up:

pre-band: I had to eat a lot to fill up

w/the band: I don't have to eat a lot of food - it gives me more control over my eating

<p>You shouldn't feel like a failure. Quite the opposite. I struggled with this same feeling for many years with my yo yo dieting, and even this past week while struggling to stick to my preop diet. I use to call lap banding a bandaid for people without the selfcontrol to overcome their eating issues. Obviously at that time I was in total denial about my own eating disorder. Why would you swim across the ocean if you have a boat sitting in the dock? Lapband will be my boat to get me to the other side. I still must guide it and care for it properly to be successful. Anyway, I was in the mall this past week watching people. I now notice how many people are as overweight as I am. I used to think I was all alone. I asked myself why more people aren't having lapband surgery. Their reasons are many, I'm sure, but IT TAKES COURAGE TO BEGIN THIS JOURNEY!!! Please don't look at it as a last resort or failure. BE PROUD THAT YOU HAVE THE COURAGE TO TAKE THIS STEP!!!! </p> <p>I'm going to be banded on Wednesday, so yall may have to remind me of this post during my recovery. Please don't let me feel too sorry for myself!!</p>

I once read that overweight people tend to have MORE self-control than those who are not. Most people who have never had a weight problem, in this country anyway, aren't that way because they actually did something proactive. Some have active jobs or hobbies and some are just blessed with fast metabolisms. (My husband has both -- and I've never seen him deny himself food or drink ONCE in his life, yet he remains perpetually thin.)

In addition, the author made the argument that will power will only work for so long. For example, do we have a lack of will power if we try not to sleep? There are certain biological functions that are going to take over no matter what we try to control. I'll bet every one of us has gained weight eating next to nothing. Our bodies are programmed to hold onto weight, especially after a diet.

This is not an excuse -- we all know that we have engaged in unhealthy eating and exercise habits at least some time in our lives, some more than others. But we've also all tried very hard to do something about it and the fact that our efforts failed are not entirely our fault.

I went on my first diet when I was 22 and FIVE pounds overweight. I wish now that I had been educated enough to establish good exercise and eating habits instead of dieting. I don't know if I messed up my metabolism or it was never that great but I fought (almost) every pound I gained in the last four years, after losing 70 pounds on Medifast. I exercised, I kept drinking shakes, I cut out all kinds of bad foods and eating habits, and it still came back. I tried new programs and couldn't lose a pound. I'm even a little worried that the band won't work but if it keeps me from gaining any more, I won't think it was a mistake.

That what makes a site like this soooo helpful My husband is also thin and eats whatever he wants. Unless you have struggled with weight issues then it is impossible to understand the emotions and struggle involved. Reading other people's stories is very encouraging.

Renewed Hope,

Good luck on Wednesday, you'll be so happy I just know it. Please let us know how you are when you feel up to it.

Cindy

Thanks Cindyluhu! I am planning on only the best. Did you have to do a preop diet. I am on a 2 week liquid diet, and have done very well, except one night. Until today, I find myself wanting to eat everything in site. Is this presurgery jitters or what. I actually snuck in another room to eat the crusts my son didn't eat from his grilled cheese sandwich. How silly is that. I know that doesn't amount to much calories, but I felt in control until today. What's up with that

I am afraid right now that I am going to be going ahead on willpower rather than restriction. I had a defill last week, and I feel like he took out too much. I have to wait a few days before I will know for sure. I have to say for anyone new, it's a very fine line between having too much and having too little.

Hey Wintersunshine,

I was banded on May 8th. Lost about 25 pounds over first 10 weeks. Only lost about 7 more in the last 10 weeks. Nobodys fault but my own but that being said my normal MO would have been a loss of 12 pounds and a gain of 15 without the band. I feel I could use more restriction BUT being able to maintain my loss rather then gain is a huge part of long term success. Good Luck.

Renewed Hope, yes I too had a liquid diet. Mine was only for 10 days, though. The first 3 days were the toughest for me. It finally passes, however. Good luck, it'll be great!!

Cindy

PS...Better than bouillion was my best friend that week. Haven't been able to touch the stuff since!

Cindy

My inlaws sell Watkins. They have a chicken broth that, for now, I love. I bought it in sample packs so its very easy. I also should get Unjury in the mail tommorow. I went to be measured and preop talk at my doctor's office. My doctor is out of town, but the girl in her office had lapband surgery 2 years ago. She is very comforting and encouraging. Today I am cleaning house. Getting everything ready to go.

Hi im LindaE(lucky gal) I was banded 9/11/07. I feel this is my last chance for weight loss. I really want to succeed. The band is a reminder to choose healthier foods and get my fluids in. All my friends know about it. My husband is supportive. Im down 17 Lbs. My goals are in 10 Lb increments. I need a fill because im hungery in between meals. Im going to see my dr. on nov.5th. Ill see what he says about my progress.