Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Status Update from Veteran

Ok, for those who do not know me, a little background.

Was banded Jan 2011....met my goal weight within 12 months. Have been 100% successful and as happy as can be ever since, the band did everything I had expected to. I will also add I never had a single problem. If you call getting stuck, regurgitating a problem, well good luck with that.......I call that a learning curve. Stop doing what caused those issues.

Toughest Part?? Letting the band make the rules, and me changing, adapting to get along with what the bands demands. That meant giving up a lot of things I used to enjoy.

Today...went back to my surgeon (and office staff) who I have not seen in a few years......Reason? To discuss having the band removed. Why? Not that there are problems, not that it does not work, but because it did work...for years. I figure by now I have learned new habits....eating small portions, abstaining form certain foods such as meat, flour based products, etc....learning Protein and Water is a daily given. I feel I can survive with out the band. So they removed ALL the Fluid from my band, 8cc's. Will go back in December and start planning the pre-surgery clearances and decide on a surgery date. probably Jan-Feb.

It's been a very rewarding experience. Best decision I ever made. Literally saved my life.

Now for the fun part.....My surgeon and the weight loss center, stopped doing bands altogether.

I asked why, and was told, with a few exceptions such as myself, there is a high failure rate. Now I know this has been a topic here, and I did not have an opinion, until today. I trust these people whole heartily. I asked if the band was no good? Answer was the band is just fine...it's the patients who get the band who are the problem. The staff just could not "Babysit" anymore.

Sorry, many did not want to hear that...but take it from me who is successful..there is nothing wrong with the band.

That's a pretty broad statement that they feel they can speak for the entire patient population that has had the band. They don't even know me or my history. It sounds more like they didn't want to admit they did so many lap band surgeries that weren't considered 'successful'. What sort of office admits to not wanting to provide continuing after care [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was banded in January 2013. I have managed my band quite well. I am still very thankful for the band and the results. I do know it takes patient compliance to be successful. It's not easy to change your lifetime habits, some people can do it successfully some cannot. My Surgeon told me the same thing he is not recommended the band as much because of patient non compliance. It's more difficult to manage than the sleeve. I have maintained my weight loss since my first year. I have been able to maintain my health as well, no more diabetes, no more high cholesterol or high blood pressure. My life has taken some turns such as losing my husband of 39 years and other family members in a short period of time and the urge to overeat or eat out of pity was there, fortunately my band is a constant reminder to not do that. Banding is not for everyone and everyone has their own reasons and choices. I hope everyone is comfortable with their choices and I would not say one or the other. Glad to see some of the Veterans here expressing their views. If I were to experience issues with my band I would probably opt for the sleeve.

Thank you for your post, I had my lap band placed in 2007. I have not had a fill-in over two years. I have insurance and found an MD to fill it, he tried to talk me into removing it. I have it tested under floro. It is in good working order, the MD was shocked. It worked for me and when I could not get it filled it opened without any restriction. It was over and I ate poorly, I wish I would not have had any lapse in insurance. I would be doing the same thing and having it removed. I go fo my fill tomorrow after 2+ years.

I have to retrain my thoughts about eating, chew, chew, chew and only a tiny portions of nutrients needed. Water etc. I can do this!! Once again the post was helpful.