Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few questions for the post-op stage

coffee? ? Yes or no

How do you "sip" all that Water and do you have to literally sip forever?

How soon after surgery were allowed to have some water?

Will I be starving during the healing stage??

I guess I am afraid I will not be able to do this, so many unknowns!!

Lauren

1/24/05 Dr Bertha

I was allowed to have Water as soon as I woke up.

Whether you have to sip forever kind of depends on your level of restriction. It was one of the things I was concerned about, too, before I had surgery. I couldn't see coming in from a walk or bike ride in the Houston summer and not being able to gulp Water. With my current level of restriction - which I am happy with - I can drink normally, but come to think of it, I probably usually sip.

I was never hungry during the healing stage, but many people are. It kind of depends on whether you doctor requires you to be on Clear liquids as opposed to full liquids and how long he wants you to stay on liquids. I only had to stay on full liquids for two weeks. And I was never hungry.

I've heard many people say "No coffee." I drink 1-2 cups per day, though. I don't really know the reason for not drinking coffee. Maybe somebody else does. I really love coffee, though, and I guess I figure I've given up enough.

Good questions. If I can do this, you can do it. And honestly, in the beginning, it's not that hard - or at least it wasn't for me. Now I have to work harder for continued weight loss and I've had to cut out certain foods.

Good luck. You'll do fine.

Nancy

I understand they say no coffee due to it's erosive/irritant nature.

I think we all hear our tummies growl for the first time once we begin healing. Many of us have never even heard that before. But, I never really allowed myself to get to that 'starving' stage. I just kept liquids going in consistently. I also have this theory, I can stand on my head long enough for anything as long as I know it's temporary. :D these are all fears that we all had going in. You can do this!

Lauren, you can do it! It's only a small temporary stage. Getting your health back and being able to get out there and enjoy your children will definitely be worth it! Please just take it one day at a time! Come here and share your thoughts with others that know exactly how you feel. Best of luck to you!

Reply Leatha:

I 'm not sure exactly what you mean by coffe being an erosive /irritant??? Does that mean it will cause the band to erode? I was told by the nutritionist that drinking coffee or caffeine made your stomach gowl all most as if your hungry and so some one who drinks a good amount of coffee on a regular basis would mistake this for hunger... Has any one else heard any thing simular? i drink about 2 cups of coffee a day and I really like to know the rules on coffee myself?

no wonder I'm wasting away in Liquid-protein-ville...

Lucky you Jack! I think I had post-op restriction for about the first 12 hrs. lol. I was never severely hungry, but I could constantly sip pretty much all day long. Now and again, I would get a bout of scratchy throat which was my immediate post-op signal of fullness, so I'd have to let it funnel through and start sipping again later.

At this rate, you're going to be halfway there before you get off liquids!! Eureka!!

Jammin,

It's been said that some docs say don't drink coffee because it is an irritant to the lining of the stomach. With the band around it to begin with, I think they just feel it's a good precaution not to add more irritation, such as coffee or carbonated beverages. It's very easy to get esophagititis as it is, I would think coffee could only exacerbate that possibility. Personally, I don't drink it and I don't think ALL docs encourage you to stop drinking it, just some. I reckon it would be an individual thing.

I had my surgery Tuesday night and began sipping broth and juice 4 hours later. I have been juicing fresh apples, grapes and eatting yougert, broth and today will try juicing carrots and spinich.

I have no problems drinking got teas. I drink about 4 cups or more of healing herbal teas per day and try to drink Water. Warm tea seems to do better with me. I tried a protien shake yesterday and got down half of it with a lot of gas after.

I bought some soy milk (easier on stomach) and will try a little in a couple of days.

I drank coffee pre-op but have not since. I have had some twinnings tea.

I couln't take but a sip of coffee after my surgery, but I can drink it fine now. My doctor never mentioned not drinking it. I do use the "lite" coffee. I will check with him Monday when I get my first fill. I had heard it was the caffeine that was the problem. I do miss my diet coke now and then.

Guest brighteyes

ok, you all have confused me so much, i have surgery next tuesday Jan. 11, every day i come into this site and read what you all write in here, but now let me express my concern's my doctor is Dr. Boutt, of port huron hospital of michigan, i have heard he is a real good doctor and knows what he is doing, an i might ad real handsome lol, but he has told me not to eat anything but a clear liquid diet the day before surgery, not a week or month before like you all talk about, and then he told me i will not get anything to eat for the day of my surgery, but the next morning, i will get a tray of Clear liquids, and when i am done eating that they are going to have me drink this dye to see if everything worked out ok when i drink those Clear Liquids, then for the first two weeks, i am subpost to be on clear liquids, for weeks three and four, i am am subpost to be on solid liquids, weeks five and six, soft foods, then i should go more from there, but when i set here and read what you have all put, it is do different, and i am scared on what is right and what is wrong, i just do not want something to go wrong, i want this surgery but i am one of those people who worry to much, ever since i had kids, i dont want anything to take me away from them, so i worry, and i know its not good, but what can i say i love my kids so much. and as for the coffee thing, my doctor told me i can have coffee or tea, for clear liquids, regular or Decaf, based on individual tolerance, but told me to avoid carbonated beverages, concentrated sugars, high calorie liquids. i would really be grateful if some of you could reply to this letter and help me out so i can be clear of worries before my surgery thank you all, for listening.

brighteyes

The other thing about coffee -- and I say this as a coffee lover -- is that it's a diuretic. So not only will you dump fluids, but along with it, necessary minerals as well (especially Calcium, magnesium and zinc). So it seems that if, after banding, it's hard to get enough fluids and nutrition, coffee might exacerbate that.

Does this mean that I will give up coffee post surgery? Oh HELL no. But I do drink my coffee with tons of milk (which neutralizes its acidic nature AND provides calcium) and I understand that I'll probably end up cutting way way down.

Brighteyes, I replied to your other post.

As I woke up from surgery, I asked for coffee, LOL!!! Of course I didn't get any until day 3 and let me tell you, it's a darn good thing I was on a morphine drip until I got it! OMG it was soooo good!! I drink approx. 4 cups every morning and then I'm usually done for the day. I've been a coffee drinker since age 11. When I travel to foreign lands, I am always eager to try out the local coffee. LOL, I guess it's becoming a hobby. I truly don't believe it is as bad for you as some drs would have you think. BTW, the Cuisinart Grind & Brew RULES!!!

As for sipping Water, I find that I have no problem sipping from my big mug with a straw while at work. At home, though, I guzzle! Go figure...

Vickems: I like the way you put that because I love coffee and unless the Dr. says absoluly no coffee then I'm drinking mine! I'll give up every thing else thou!(so java to us) (instead of cheers to you)