Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Relief for knee pain

I have osteoarthritis in both knees and am 3 weeks post op. One of the main reasons I did the surgery was to help with my knee pain. I am down 25 pounds (I lost 14 prior to surgery), and now my knees hurt so bad even laying in bed. If I turn a certain way in bed or walking my knees have this horrible pain that shoots through them. The pain management Dr. had told me the next step was knee replacement, but I didn't want to go that route, if possible. He had also said getting the weight off would also help my knees. Has anyone experienced more knee pain with losing weight, and does that pain eventually go away?

I have osteoarthritis in both knees and am 3 weeks post op. One of the main reasons I did the surgery was to help with my knee pain. I am down 25 pounds (I lost 14 prior to surgery), and now my knees hurt so bad even laying in bed. If I turn a certain way in bed or walking my knees have this horrible pain that shoots through them. The pain management Dr. had told me the next step was knee replacement, but I didn't want to go that route, if possible. He had also said getting the weight off would also help my knees. Has anyone experienced more knee pain with losing weight, and does that pain eventually go away? I'm not taking ibuprofen anymore, and the creams and such on my knees don't really seem to help. Any other ideas, please!?

Hi I’m 4 1/2 months post op and down 45 pounds. I too have osteoarthritis in both knees but right knee is worse. Right after surgery pain went away which I thought was wonderful but it came back with a vengeance at about 6 weeks out. Before surgery I was on Mobic daily for the pain but had to give it up due to the surgery. I think the 6 week mark was my body completely free of anti-inflammatory- ouch. I did see my ortho when I was down 30 pounds because of the pain in the knee - I was limping. He told me 50 pounds was the magic number that seemed to make a difference. I got a cortisone shot that day, hadn’t tried that in about 8 years. It did seem to help and now I’m 5 pounds from that magic 50 number. We’ll see. He wants to do a knee replacement as well, I’m just not ready for that. I also tried the Orthovisc injections prior to surgery but it didn’t work for me. I am happy I don’t need to take anti-inflammatories anymore, at least.

Thanks for the info! Good to know! Yeah, I just can't afford to be out 6 + weeks from working to heal either. I've had the euflexxa gel injections and they didn't really help. Was just a battle dealing with the insurance co., because the Dr. coded it wrong. Huge headache! My knees seem to hurt more, at night while in bed now. Had not even thought about the anti-inflamatories being out of my system, but that's probably why I'm feeling more pain now. I tried taking a Tylenol cut into many pieces today and I felt so sick to my stomach all day. :( I'm 28 pounds down since 2 weeks before surgery, so I've still got a ways to go to get to that magic number. Best of luck to you! Please let me know, if your knee pain goes away! I hope it does!!

I have bad knees as well. I did everything! I had Supartz injections. I had stem cells (not paid by insurance $5K). I was taking both Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Finally got down to just Tylenol to sleep. I am now down about 35 pounds and haven't had anything since September 11th. sleeping well. Still some pain in my left knee but I am pushing as much walking as I can tolerate. I know the knees are shot and will require replacement some day but I think I can make it a few years by getting the weight off. I am already off BP meds and statins. At 62 y/o, I should have done this years ago!

I have Osteoarthritis in both knees and really struggled with pain & disability after sitting or standing too long, couldn’t straighten them out all the way (so lost an inch in height), and also had a lot of pain at night. However, since I’ve reached normal BMI I’m almost pain free. It feels like a miracle. I haven’t felt this good in a long long long time. Previously, I’ve had arthroscopic surgery on both knees twice (4 total) and have tried injections, physical therapy and different pain relievers, all to no avail. I’m sure I’ll require knee replacement surgeries at some point but now I’m optimistic it will be many years from now.

Right knee TKR - 8 yrs ago, recovery was a rough 6 months, but amazing results. I can dance and hike. I have some arthritis in left knee and left shoulder and a bit concerned about not being able to take Aleve after surgery - at least for awhile, but will soldier on no matter what.

Quitting soda pop relieved a lot of joint pain, it leeches minerals from your body. I also believe taking Vitamin D3 helps as well as Calcium and magnesium. Good luck.